Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
3 restos WIP = psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy View Post
Kenikh, can you please post your entire engine set up if you haven't done so already somewhere? or PM me a link please
Search my name for posts in the torch forum. My resto thread has it in there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 07-18-2016, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

[QUOTE=kenikh;9204338]Search my name for posts in the torch forum. My resto thread has it in there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
The torch forum ? Is that where you're getting raked over the coals relentlessly for using Divlars by that former poster ? What wuz his name scabbykneez930
You know I jest. Much respect to the Kman for his build. Now you just need to get a real turbo and turn the boost up
Old 07-19-2016, 12:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Mr. 70'sBush, I wonder if FreakyKeniky's "torch forum" comment was a tell regarding his counter culture lifestyle - torch 'v' flame - hmmmmmm ?!?!?!

Butt that Dilivar torching idea makes sense, too (unlike the idea of using Dilivar - egads, USED Dilivars, even - in a fresh engine build! )!!!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 07-19-2016 at 01:31 AM..
Old 07-19-2016, 12:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)
Registered

Any news on this project?
Old 12-06-2016, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschephd View Post
In my early days I played with a similar setup. What I found was with the low compression and the big ports-it killed the low end and the onset of boost was offset enough that it drove my boost curve farther down the rpm range...

So to sum it up, the only way to really get the TQ you want off boost is to raise the CR.
Big ports don't fill the cylinders well at low rpm. Port velocity is low and atomization is poor. Big overlap cams make it worse by lowering the dymanic c/r.
The only way to claw back some off-boost torque is to raise the static c/r.
This is most likely why the factory did small ports and no-overlap cams; to make the Turbo a little more driveable off boost. I recall that no one liked the driving characteristics of the Turbo Carrera with bigger ports and a 6.5/1 c/r.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, H&R Coilovers, ESB spring plates- 210 lb
Old 12-07-2016, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Yep, static CR is just a "starting" number. Effective CR determines all based off cam specs.

Surprised the K27 falls off at such low boost. You know what that means? One must use a modern turbo!
That's my plan; Give my car a Garrett for Christmas
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, H&R Coilovers, ESB spring plates- 210 lb
Old 12-07-2016, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Sorry no update in a while. My schedule dictates small clumps of time when I can work on my own stuff. Our focus is exhaust systems so I'm building a custom system for these mods. A client wanted to do the same build so that is where my custom headers went. He also got my custom turbo. That build should be done early January so hope to have some data.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks for the reply, Brian.

If your stuff isn't perpetually on the back burner then you're not a good business owner. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of the headers you came up with and seeing some dyno numbers of you get them.

By the way, I bought a set of NA headers off you about 9mo ago for a 3.4L high butterfly project I was doing. We made 315hp at the wheels.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Woh, that's a big number!

Yes it's a little frustrating as I am anxious to see what this engine can do. It's still pretty much stock and runs really strong. Slowly but surely we have replaced all the aged worn out items. This car was a shed rescue that had never seen the first hint of maintenance best I can tell. Now it's a really nice driver.
The owner has promised pictures and data once the engine is done and they get the car to a dyno. We have some CIS work to do as the power level should be far beyond typical range.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
Registered

We were pretty happy with the results. Here's a video of one of the final pulls of the day: https://www.facebook.com/TLG.Porsche.Service/videos/1256719951035914/
Old 12-08-2016, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Brian have you had time to get this project wrapped up and dyno tested?
Just curious what you ended up with in terms of configuration and output.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 02-25-2017, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I have put the entire package together twice now and have been contacted by clients who wanted to do the same to their engines. So twice built twice sold and still not on my 930. Both clients were EFI so I cannot use their dyno data as I am sticking with CIS. My estimate is that full engine management of EFI and ignition will gain 50-75 HP at the wheels over MSD and CIS. The focus becomes drivability; it's not difficult to make power with these engines but it is more difficult to tune in off-boost torque with huge heads and big cams. That is really where electronic engine management has it's greatest advantage in my opinion. Could be we end up with electronic ignition control but fuel will remain CIS as I want to see what I can get out of it just for my own curiosity.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

I remember around 9 years ago there was a guy in Sweden (I think it was Sweden) that got around 600 HP with CIS.

I think he was using a CIS Flowtech fuel head and enlarged intake ports in the heads and bored out flat intake manifold ports to match but I don't know what all else he did to the motor, what cams, or what was done to the fuel head... or if it would idle.

I guess a search would eventually find the post if it's still there.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Garage
I think you are taking of a 2.7L based motor with fabricated center box feeding the spider runners. The CIS was lifted from a Porsche 928 V-8 motor. The two additional injectors were plugged into the system for extra fueling however I do not recall where. Also do not recall I it was twin turbo but power level suggests it was.
Fuel, high boost, probably high revs. I do recall it as an impressive level of innovation given to a collection of realitively inexpensive components making that power.
Search 2.7L, just like the very first 911 Turbo.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Garage
Search member DPHANS
Old 02-25-2017, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Jim, the fellow you are referring to's name is Micke. He was able to get big power using progressive boost in the midrange. The boost was tailored to correspond with the fuel output of the CIS. I don't plan on doing that but may need to if it starts to go lean at the top. The flow tests I've done on my modified CFT 007 unit shows it will support 500WHP.

Marty, the guy you are referring to did build a twin turbo 2.7L with 2 extra fuel ports using a 928 fuel distributor. It was a really outside the box thinking kind of build. However, I am interested in achieving matched flow per cylinder using only the six 009 fuel injectors. I have headers built with O2 bungs on each primary so I can adjust the FD and balance the air flow and fuel. Having all 6 cylinders average 12.0:1 AFR at redline on this engine ain't gonna cut it.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

Garage
Brian
Do you have a data logging system for 6 F/A simultaneous readings?
Old 02-26-2017, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73 View Post
Brian
Why do you need that? It would be expensive and difficult to do with anything off the shelf. I suppose you could whip something up to measure 6 voltages and convert them, maybe an Arduino or something would be a good choice.

However, 6 EGTs gives you just as good a fidelity if needed. It does make an excellent diagnostic tool to help you determine things like sticky valves or a fouled plug, or even which plug top/bottom if you can turn then on/off separately. I could see using the info for trimming the injectors on an EFI setup as well, but even there EGT is good enough.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
The shop we used to dyno test our exhaust systems does. I want to do this one myself and planned to cobble together 6 AFR gages so I could tune the fuel distributor while the engine was running. It may not be feasible but I'd like to try it. I have all the parts needed and the O2 bungs are already in the header primaries. Course at this rate it may be a while before I have time.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
The shop we used to dyno test our exhaust systems does. I want to do this one myself and planned to cobble together 6 AFR gages so I could tune the fuel distributor while the engine was running. It may not be feasible but I'd like to try it. I have all the parts needed and the O2 bungs are already in the header primaries. Course at this rate it may be a while before I have time.

That bank F/A can difficult to monitor and expensive.
Wanted to offer the aircraft world has combined gauges for 6 cylinder air-cooled motors that displays 6 EGT plus one TIT in side by side bar form. It will switch to give you CHT in bar form comparison

Not F/A however these are the long established standards for air-cooled performance and monitoring as they have the same problems with air manifolds and MFI not taylored to each cylinder in factory builds.

If our old friend Bob Farmer would share his findings relating to 911 cooling distribution and his fixes this would be of great helping holding CHTs equal for maximum spark advancing.
Anyway with CHT on all 6 you'll have this to consider also.

Last edited by copbait73; 02-26-2017 at 09:12 PM..
Old 02-26-2017, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: