Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
You mean like this. How I did not think of this instantly is so embarrassing.
Yo' Deez, it you put the negative lead in one ear and the positive in the other, will the continuity tone sound off?!
Old 04-02-2017, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #181 (permalink)

Haha

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2017, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #182 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Nope. There must be a short!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2017, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #183 (permalink)

Garage
I got about 5 hours on Saturday to work on the car. I made the harness for the oil cooler fan. I still prefer the electrical tape wrap over the plastic corrugated stuff.

I lost a lot of time trying to get the fuse panel to set flat. The harnesses were routed all wrong. I took a lot of wiring apart to reroute. I finally figured out the headlight harness was routed through the wrong side of the headlight bucket. So I had to take the headlight harness and turn signal harness apart and route correctly. That gave me the extra slack I was missing. Now all I need is a couple connectors for the fan ground and a water tight connector for the fan. I wasted a lot of time, but I'm happy the fuse panel and harness is installed correctly now.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #184 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Looking good, DND.

A couple things I thought I'd mention:

1) Hard () to tell exactly from your pic, butt it appears that the metal housing for your fuse & relay panel is bolted directly to the tub - it is supposed to be set away from the tub, by about 4-5mm, with round, nylon spacers that are held in place by the mounting screws. Those help with vibration and also space the wires away from the sheet metal a little bit. I also added rubber washers to the spacers in order to further help with vibration. The long, bottom, corner screw (the one nearest the brake booster) uses a much longer, nylon spacer in order to make the fuse panel sit nice and square.

2) I don't remember if this has been brought up in your thread, butt if not, you really must add an inline fuse just prior to the front condenser motor. That is one of the components that Porsche stupidly did not fuse, and if the motor binds up and draws enough amps to catch fire, the outcome is not desirable. I know that your motor is brand new, but it sure is better to be safe than sorry, regardless.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 04-02-2017 at 10:38 PM..
Old 04-02-2017, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #185 (permalink)

Garage
The spacers missing make sense. The dam thing did not want t lay flat. There is one harness that is thicker than the given space without the spacers.
Do the spacers go on the top and bottom or just the bottom?

The relay is fused at both power supplies. The fan needs a third fuse?
Old 04-03-2017, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #186 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Looking at the fuse panel from the front/facing it (like you are on your knees in the trunk, and the fuse panel is a "customer" ), there are short spacers (approximately 5mm) at the top two screws, and the bottom right screw . . . the bottom left uses a much longer spacer as the distance between the panel and the tub is much farther away there. You probably know this, but Ace usually has a wide variety of nylon spacer sizes - Home Depot & Lowes usually have some, too.

So the Retroair nose condenser fan has it's own relay? The OEM one does not and the only relay associated with it is one that covers more than just that fan and is far to "big", amp wise, (25 amp - also covers the evaporator fan, the compressor clutch, etc), for the nose fan's wiring (aka - can't rely on its fuse to protect the fan wiring).

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 04-03-2017 at 07:47 AM..
Old 04-03-2017, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #187 (permalink)

Garage
Got it. Seeing as I was working on the oil cooler fan I skimmed right over the Condenser Fan Part. What AMP fuse 15, 25?

Last edited by 1979-930; 04-03-2017 at 08:01 AM..
Old 04-03-2017, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #188 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

7.5 amp fuse is perfect . . . more than enough for the motor's start-up, surge draw and a good size for the relatively small/thin (like your d***) wiring the goes to it.

Also, no need to actually cut into the harness up there - can just add a fuse link at the original wire connector. Does that make sense (can take a pic later if you want)?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #189 (permalink)

Garage
Understood.
I rechecked the continuity between the earlobes. Good tone, so I did a resistance test.
It seems 30+ years of drinking has caused more resistance than one might expect.
But eventually the current finds a way through. So some connections are still working.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #190 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

What about continuity between your d*** and your a**?! I bet Kevin would help check that for you!!!
Old 04-03-2017, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #191 (permalink)

Garage
Speaking of drinking; did someone start early today? You're on a roll for a Monday morning.
I'm pretty sure those two are not connected. I'll pass on checking.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #192 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Ha! No drinking thus far - that's just all-natural derangement on my part.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #193 (permalink)

Garage
Last night I think I went backwards instead of forwards.

So I need to verify that the fuse panel spacers go on the top and bottom of the bracket. The bolts at the top are only long enough for an extra washer to fit. Not a 5mm spacer. I looked at several photos on line and there were a couple that it was clear there was no spacer at the top. But the panel looked pulled in and bent. The rest of the photos were straight at the panel so it was hard to tell.

I tried to finish mounting the fan temp switch. I installed the cover and noticed the highest setting is 120* WTF. I ordered it so long ago I don't know if I can find where I got it. I looked online last night and the Hayden switches that look just like the one I have all say 240* It's only $25.00 for another one, but that means I have to pull the dam cooler again to (insert the probe)

So I tried to start on the washer system. the main hose is too thick and I forgot to order the small hose. The pickup tube tore removing it and the check ball screen is rotted, so I should replace that too.

I basically got one ground wire eyelet installed and made another parts list...
Why do I like cars?
Old 04-04-2017, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #194 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
What about continuity between your d*** and your a**?! I bet Kevin would help check that for you!!!
U know i will big boy.haha

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #195 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post

So I need to verify that the fuse panel spacers go on the top and bottom of the bracket. The bolts at the top are only long enough for an extra washer to fit. Not a 5mm spacer. I looked at several photos on line and there were a couple that it was clear there was no spacer at the top. But the panel looked pulled in and bent. The rest of the photos were straight at the panel so it was hard to tell.
I just looked again, and now I remember that I added thick rubber washers at the top two screw points - more like 3mm (like your d*** ) spacing, not 5, and no spacers.

The bottom, forward bolt has a spacer that is approximately 5mm (to which I added rubber washers), and the bottom, rearward bolt has an approximately 20mm spacer, plus rubber washers.

Sorry for the misinformation earlier, ya' bisch.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #196 (permalink)

Garage
Ok good.
I can make that work with what I have. I purchased a 1/2" that I cut in half for the 5mm. And 5/8" spacer that is close enough to your 20mm Teaxan metric speak.

I'm glad you have nothing better to do than help my dumb azz...
Old 04-04-2017, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #197 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Ha ha - no problem.

The result of all that spacer shart is a fuse/relay box that sits perfectly true, with no bending, bowing, etc., as like you, I apparently like a precision fit & finish of all components - even ones that no one ever sees.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #198 (permalink)

Garage
I was able to get out in the shop and install the bushings on one of the front control arms today. I feel better now having something done. I'll let this one dry overnight and do the other one tomorrow.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #199 (permalink)

Garage
So I found my order for the thermostat and it reads in Celsius. So I'm good there. But while testing the fan I found the housing was hitting one of the fender support bolts and wouldn't spin. I moved it to a spot that it clears everything and got it going. But it is an 8" fan. So it sets on the lip of the housing instead of the cooler fins. It seems like half of the air pushes out the bottom and top of the 1/4" gap. So seeing as I need a 10" condenser fan and the we're having a $10.00 off sale on two fans. I ordered a 6" Rawknee fan and a 10" Derrick fan.

I also have the washer pumps and hoses all installed. I need to mount the tank and hook up the fill tube.
But waiting for more parts...

Old 04-06-2017, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #200 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: