Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Yo', DND, I want to clarify something, that looking back at my posts, is a bit misleading; when I said "no pedal pump needed at all", I was talking about not needing to do any traditional, "press the pedal with bleeder valves open" bleeding if using the pressure method. BUTT whenever a brake system has been opened, and especially when components like the calipers have been removed and disassembled, you will have to work the pedal some, with bleeders closed, to settle the caliper pistons into position and possibly get slugs of trapped air moving. Sorry for the poor wording on my part (I always call the traditional bleeding method the "pedal pump method").

In other words, you pressure bleed the entire system first, followed by pumping the pedal vigorously () a few times to test how it feels (), settle the pistons and push possible trapped air along, and then re-bleed the system. And repeat as necessary until you have a very firm () brake pedal.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 05-16-2017 at 11:30 PM..
Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #301 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
I get it. But I was hoping to get all the air out your way with the pistons retracted. Then pressing the pedal would just suck the reservoir down with no air in the system. No such luck.
I pumped the pedal a few times and did a quick bleed. Takes around five min with everything set up. The pedal was a little better.

I decided to let it set, because pouring $11.00 a pint fluid down the drain sucks azz. My hope is any air in the caliper will find it's way to the top by tonight. I'm going to have my son set in the car and press the pedal between bleeding to pump it back up. Should be fine after that.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #302 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

No need to throw the fluid away, Deez - just use a clean, catch container and then filter the brake fluid through a paint strainer before putting back in the res. Maybe that's hillbilly stuff, butt I do that all the time - no problem.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #303 (permalink)

Garage
I thought about doing that. The first two pints I figured were mixed with the old stuff. I'm now working on Pint #4 and getting a little upset about wasting it.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #304 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Another thing you can do, which you've probably already considered, is use house brand, inexpensive fluid until you have a pedal that you're happy with, and then flush that out with the $$$ expensive stuff.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #305 (permalink)

Garage
I finally got that biznatch to burp. It was the right front. So much air came out in blast I thought I ran the reservoir dry.
The pedal is good and firm now and hits the wall at the gas pedal. Only moves about 2.5" for full travel.

I installed the oil filter and added oil. Motul is Green! That's a first. I read somewhere that the oil cooler increases the capacity to 13qts. Correct? I couldn't get the drain on the diff to break loose. I'll need to deal with that another time.

I installed the left side Rock guard decal. The rock guard was not lined up with the wheel well arch before. It got closer to the lip at the top. I think I have it straight this time. Does this look right? I guess it doesn't matter at this point because it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #306 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Cool about brake success.

Yep - green is a fitting color for it considering how much that juice costs!

13 quarts is about right, but probably don't want to put that much in initially . . . maybe put around 10-11 in and then wait until you can run it up to about 190 degrees (fender thermostat open) and check level so you don't end up having to remove some of the liquid platinum after the fact.

Shark's fin looks good to me.

PS - there is no drain on the differential housing part of the gearbox - I'm ASSuming you're talking about the gearbox drain? A tip (just the) - don't remove the drain plug until after you've loosened the fill - don't want to drain the gearbox lube out and then find you can't put any back in (in case you have to go somewhere for help to get the fill plug out) . . . though you could pour it in through the breather spout hole in a pinch - super slow going, though .

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 05-17-2017 at 10:50 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #307 (permalink)

Garage
My AssUme skills are good. I stopped at around 10qts. I'm waiting on plugs and intercooler O-rings for the engine.
Leaving tomorrow for a camping trip to the coast and some Abalone diving. No more fun until Monday. The rest of the tune-up parts should be here by then.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #308 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Is that a family camping trip, or the sausage fest extravaganza (complete with lumberjack outfits - buttless pants, buttofcourse! ) that you PM'ed me about?!?!
Old 05-17-2017, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #309 (permalink)

Garage
79 #610 Winter Projects. Advise Needed

The latter you big pansy. You're all show and no go.

Last edited by 1979-930; 05-17-2017 at 11:12 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 11:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #310 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

We'll you'll have Kevin there to keep you entertained! And we've all seen what his ass looks like in jeans (recall the impromptu fire fighter pics)!
Old 05-17-2017, 11:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #311 (permalink)

Garage
I thought I was going to get the engine back together and running tonight.

What's wrong with this delivery???
Does the shipping department know anything about Porsche's

Old 05-22-2017, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #312 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

Maybe they thought you had the Special Wishes, five jug engine (a pre-cursor to the Polo engine - pay huge money for less cylinders)?!?!
Old 05-22-2017, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #313 (permalink)

Sometimes i like it when they just ship the boxes or the bag.Haha WTF

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2017, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #314 (permalink)

Garage
How many miles does it take to make a rotor look this bad with a bosh ignition ?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #315 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

Back when Porsche kept rev-limiting simple, rather than the needlessly over-engineered, electronic limiter used on the mid + 80's models (that doesn't do anything better than that old-school, rev limiting rotor).
Old 05-22-2017, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #316 (permalink)

Garage
^^^
So this wacky contraption is the rotor and RPM limiter in one?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #317 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Yes - there is a contact point in there than opens when the rotor spins above a certain RPM . . . same as was used on 914s, other early 911s and many other car makes of that era. On the later model Turbos, Porsche started using a rev limiter that is mounted under the driver's seat - if the plug to it gets corrosion on it, solder joints inside break, etc., the engine stops running and you're left stranded (unlike the relatively quick, roadside rotor change on your car).
Old 05-22-2017, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #318 (permalink)

Garage
Is there a non rev limiting option? I have a brain, but have missed a shift or two in my life.
So until I upgrade the ignition this will work.

I was mainly poking fun of the condition. The fuel filter has a 09 Date at 2,000 ish miles ago written on it with a sharpie. But this rotor and a cap, that looks just as bad, was still on there.

Last edited by 1979-930; 05-22-2017 at 10:43 PM..
Old 05-22-2017, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #319 (permalink)

Garage
Derrick,

I have been following your project and would like to offer for free both a rev-limiting rotor and non rev limiting rotor for your replacement. While slightly used, either one, is alot better than what you have in hand.

Please PM me your address if you would like to take me up
Keep up the good work.....

Steve
1977 930 (recently sold)
1976 911S , 1973 1/2 911T, 1972 911E (long gone)
Old 05-23-2017, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #320 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: