Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
^^^
Cool. Thanks Steve! PM on the way.

I predict a post from RawkneeDoesDallas soon.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #321 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Wonder if Steve will include some nude selfies, too?!?!
Old 05-23-2017, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #322 (permalink)

Garage
^^^

I asked for them in my PM. Ill send you copies.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #323 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

I heard he was super sexy - guess I'll find out now!
Old 05-23-2017, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #324 (permalink)

Garage
Ok. Not funny. Well maybe a little.
You could have warned me about the Jack-in-the-Box. Dam thing shot out over a foot. Freaked me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2017, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #325 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Guess you're used to things that only shoot about two inches?!?!
Old 05-23-2017, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #326 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

What sort of shape are the end cap seals in, Deez?
Old 05-23-2017, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #327 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Yo' Deez, just wanted to give you a ***forum goosing*** reminder to neatly JB Weld the seam where the air pipe is pressed into the DV end cap, ya' bisch.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #328 (permalink)

Garage
79 #610 Winter Projects. Advise Needed

I was able to get the Jack-in-the-Box done and installed tonight. Not a lot of progress. The seals had been replaced at one time. The current seals were a little swollen and a redish color. But whoever installed them did a lousy job cleaning the old cork gasket off. It took a while to get it clean.

I also cleaned the throttle body and the CIS intake (damper?) and bowl.
Sorry if my lack of knowledge on the parts bothers anyone. I'm learning how Porsches work quickly though.

Last edited by 1979-930; 05-23-2017 at 10:03 PM..
Old 05-23-2017, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #329 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Yo' Deez, just wanted to give you a ***forum goosing*** reminder to neatly JB Weld the seam where the air pipe is pressed into the DV end cap, ya' bisch.

Crap!
Well there are no bolts installed. That dam hose from the vacuum pod thing was a biznatch. Back off tomorrow. Or just roll the dice until next winter...
Probably the second one.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #330 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

You'll need to take it off again anyway as you've got the end caps on in reversed order - the one with the spout, goes on the side closest to the air metering assembly. Sorry, don't fark the seeing eye messenger, bro!
Old 05-23-2017, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #331 (permalink)

Garage
^^^
Nope. Maybe the 79 front cap is shaped different. The spout is on the back and connected to the hose.
I only make one stupid mistake a month. June is right around the corner though.

Check the first photo. Cap is laying on the bench. The cap is drilled and shaped just like the rear, but not drilled on the outside with the spout installed.

Last edited by 1979-930; 05-23-2017 at 10:39 PM..
Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #332 (permalink)

Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Very interesting! The non-spout cap on the later models does not have a bump in it like that - weird!
Old 05-23-2017, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #333 (permalink)

Garage
I have six plugs now! Yay

Old 05-24-2017, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #334 (permalink)

Garage
79 #610 Winter Projects. Advise Needed

I was moving along pretty good until the mail box install. I got stopped by the fuel evap hose. It basically disintegrated on me.

Next winter I'm going to have to replace all the hoses on this car. They are all shot. I just pray I make it through the summer.

I was able to regroup and get the relay and wiring installed for the condenser fan.

I may be able to work a half day tomorrow and get the engine back together and check timing. I have a feeling it's not set correctly.

I am planing on getting the vacuum pump and gauges from Autozone too. I picked up a 30lb bottle of r134a from NAPA today. It was only $15.00 more than Amazon and Local. Well worth the money.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #335 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Are you sure that you didn't take a shart in your hand and decide we should all take a look at it?!?!

Yep to the 30lb cylinders being well worth the money - amazing savings over 12oz cans, and much quicker and simpler, with less chance of allowing air to enter the system when doing can changes, than using the singles. Plus it's nice to have the surplus on hand for "do-overs" that might happen and to use on other vehicles if you are so inclined. In a little under two years, I've used 12.5lbs from a 30lb tank on 4 different vehicles (two of them needed to be charged twice as I chased slow leaks - different than the fast leak of yer ass, buttofcourse).

Let me know if you have any questions about vac and charge procedures and tips (just the). ***forum dating***
Old 05-24-2017, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #336 (permalink)

"Is there a non rev limiting option? I have a brain, but have missed a shift or two in my life.
So until I upgrade the ignition this will work"

NAPA EP 407 or Standard Motors GB330. No rev limiter and no resistor. Used with MSD 6AL and set the rev limit in the MSD. Rock Auto has a close out on the GB330's.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #337 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Boosted.

I will take more than just a tip on the AC charge. I read Steve's thread again yesterday, but give me all you got big boy.
Only one of my hot rods had AC and I paid someone to charge it. I was going to do the same thing with this one, but I decided to charge it myself.
If there is an issue I don't want to pay someone to chase down my mistakes.

***Forum Bromance***
Old 05-25-2017, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #338 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Will try to keep nasty commentary out of vac and charge procedures post so not to make it more difficult and confusing to read than it will be all on its own.

Evacuation Procedure

*** Am presuming you already have the proper amount of ester oil (like A/C Pro, 765-3510 / medium viscosity Ester with ICE32) in the system?

1) Lightly lubricate service port fittings - I use silicone grease, but some refrigerant oil will work fine.

2) Attach manifold hoses to system service ports (red to highside/dischrage and blue to lowside/suctiion) but leave the taps on the gauge manifold and hose ends in the closed position. Attach yellow manifold hose to vacuum pump.

- Turn pump on, open manifold taps and service port fitting taps (turn those gently so as not to damage the Shrader valves in the service ports) . . . both high and low sides opened for this.

- Observe that the high side gauge reads zero, and that the lowside gauge quickly drops to negative 29-30. If this does not happen, then you have a big leak in the system and need to investigate.

- Allow pump to run one hour and then close the manifold valves (leave service port valves open), and then turn the pump off. Allow system to "rest" for a half hour (the industry standard time) and if no change in pressure (a vac pressure loss of a psi or two is acceptable in order to account for hose expansion/contraction and changes in temperature, but you probably won't see any movement of the gauge needle.) forge ahead. If vac does not hold, you'll have to start leak troubleshooting.

- Following successful vac holding test, turn pump back on, re-open manifold valves and allow the pump to run for an additional 2-3 hours. That might seem like and excessive amount of time, but given the amount of hose in a 911 a/c system, and how the components are spread throughout the car, that amount of time on the pump ensures that all moisture will be removed from every nook and cranny.

- At conclusion of vac time, shut the service port valves, shut the manifold valves, turn off the vac pump and disconnect the yellow hose from it (keep the other hoses attached to the service ports). NOTE - do not turn the service port taps or the manifold taps after pump is off or the system vacuum will be ruined and you will have to start over. NOTE number two - if proceeding to charge immediately following vacuum pull (a good idea) then do not need to shut the service port taps - only shut the manifold taps.

*** will type charging procedure this evening, bisch - will add it to this post***

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 09-19-2017 at 08:19 PM..
Old 05-25-2017, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #339 (permalink)

Garage
^^^
When I have the gauges in my had I may be posting a few questions or it all may make perfect sense.

I applaud your ability to restrain yourself. There was a lot of use of the terms lubricate and suction there.
It had to be agonizing for you to type.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #340 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: