Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Hi Derrick, thanks for the business!

Headers -- those look like they can be saved, no problem. You sound like you're good with a TIG welder.

We've also had really good results using the serpentine evap core and condensers from Griffiths. Hoses we have made locally at a general A/C shop and save a lot of $, get a cleaner installation.
If you need ice cold A/C, you can add another condenser in the LF fender with a fan. 30.4F dash vent temps on a 114F August day.

Thank you for all the time spent talking on the phone answering questions.

We'll see how the exhaust goes. I have only built one other exhaust with stainless. It came out good, not perfect. I have more practice with Steel and Aluminum.

Thanks for the idea. I'll look into the barrier hoses local. I'm not sure if the hose company we use for our hydraulic hoses makes AC hoses too. There is a old AC shop, Polar Bear Air, not far from me that I'm sure make them. I definitely need to look into more cost savings elsewhere so I can complete the long neck intercooler and WUR modifications.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Griffiths sells the hoses too. I got mine from him and they fit perfectly and came with all the hardware and other assorted stuff needed along with very well written directions.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Hi Derrick, thanks for . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
Thank you for all the time spent talking on the phone answering questions.
***forum luv connection***

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 12-02-2016 at 10:53 PM..
Old 12-02-2016, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ ***forum jealousy***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2016, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

Yo' Deez, I bet your local hydraulic shop that you mentioned does made a/c hoses (probably by re-using your existing fittings) - an old school shop in my area does, and they also do the same with fuel hoses, too (which I had done by them a few months ago).

PS - is that welding material or did someone stick that area of the pipe () in a bucket of owl shart?!?!
Old 12-02-2016, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Holy crap, that is some weld!! Can I have that guy build me a set of headers?

I have a MaxJax, works great. Fab up a rear adapter to cradle the torsion bar tube.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
^^^

Yo' Deez, I bet your local hydraulic shop that you mentioned does made a/c hoses (probably by re-using your existing fittings) - an old school shop in my area does, and they also do the same with fuel hoses, too (which I had done by them a few months ago).

PS - is that welding material or did someone stick that area of the pipe () in a bucket of owl shart?!?!
I think I am going to remove all the hoses and get a quote to have new ones made before I order any AC Parts.

The welding is sooo bad. I don't think they even used stainless wire.
I really wanted a set of Brian's headers. But I have a very long and expensive list of stuff I want to get done. The $800.00 was too cheap to pass up. If I get these dialed in I can always sell them down the road for what I have in them and up-grade to Rarly8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
Holy crap, that is some weld!! Can I have that guy build me a set of headers?

I have a MaxJax, works great. Fab up a rear adapter to cradle the torsion bar tube.
^^^ Good idea. I was test fitting the jack locations a couple nights ago and saw there is not a lot of room for the lift pads with the AC and oil line locations. Do you have a picture of what you made?

Last edited by 1979-930; 12-04-2016 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-03-2016, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

I am away for the w/e, will put one up when I get back Monday.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
. . . will put one up . . .

You just made DeezNutzDerrick's year!!!
Old 12-03-2016, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
While installing the MaxJax I found my slab is only 2.5" to 3" thick. F'ing corner cutting, half azz, contractors... So I have at least a two week delay. I am going to cut out an 18"X 18" square out of the floor and pour a footing.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

That sucks. Are you sure 18 x 18 is big enough? I think I would go bigger while you are doing it. Go down deep and put rebar out underneath the existing pad. There's a lot of info about maxjax installs on garage journal dot com. I spent a lot of time there when I was doing mine.

Rawknee, you need to get out more,LOL.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
That sucks. Are you sure . . . is big enough? I think I would go bigger while you are doing it. Go down deep . . . I spent a lot of time there when I was doing mine.
???

!!!

Such kink, such smut!!!
Old 12-03-2016, 11:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Yeah, I knew that was coming after I posted it. I'll have to remember to proof read first for any potential "Rawknee speak"

Last edited by boosted79; 12-04-2016 at 06:32 AM..
Old 12-04-2016, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
My house is on Non-Expansive soil. That's how the super thin garage floor does not have a crack in it after 25 years. If I were on expansive soil I would make it wider. Depth and tying into the existing slab with rebar and epoxy is more important than a wide slab for this.
I hold a Class A General Engineering Contractors licence. So I better not mess this up.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Well you lost me at "non-expansive soil", LOL.. When I get back I will show you what I did to make me feel better being under the car while it is on the lift. Not necessary if install is done correctly except for peace of mind.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Here's the adapter I made for the the torsion bar tubes.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Here's a cross bar I made that I put in place after I have the vehicle in position and ready to lift. It eliminates any chance of the anchors pulling out of the slab and having an upright collapse inward. Totally unnecessary if the slab is thick enough and the anchors are installed correctly but I had the tube laying around so I thought I'd put it to use. I had 4+ slab thickness and used epoxy on the anchors. I figured I'd remove the uprights when not using the lift but I never have. I've had my 5800# truck on it.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
79 #610 Winter Projects. Advise Needed

The torsion tubes are exactly what I was picturing mentally. The support you made is basically a above ground grade beam. Perfect extra support.

I cut the slab and started digging for the footing tonight. I hope to have the rebar in and ready to pour by Thursday night. Then pour Sunday. Friday and Saturday are full. Brothers Osborn are playing local Friday!

My floor is a mess after four years of home remodeling projects

And I have serous shop jealousy! I'll trade you civil engineering knowledge for you're mechanical engineering knowledge.

Last edited by 1979-930; 12-05-2016 at 10:26 PM..
Old 12-05-2016, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

HA,HA Ok. I had a contractor buddy build it and I did the insulation, wiring, drywall, etc. It's pole barn construction. Unfortunately I was limited to 720 sq ft and 17' to the ridge by zoning laws. Here is another feature that I added. I got the 1 ton hoist at a machinery auction, think I paid 100 for it. The beam is a W8x21 with a 24' span. The end supports rest on 6x6 posts that rest on a 3' horizontal 6x6 on the slab and the braces are pinned to the posts. The top of the 6x6 is held between the headers supporting the roof trusses but is not attached to them. I ran thru the calcs when I sized it, I think it is supposed to have 3/4" deflection with 2000# at center span, I've probably only ever had a 1000 on it. Will like to see how you do the rebar, will you drill into the existing pad or just put the rebar below the pad?

Old 12-06-2016, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
79 #610 Winter Projects. Advise Needed

I like the beam and hoist.

So after dinner I get about 1.5 hrs to work on this. So progress is slow. The right pad ended up 6" from the exterior footing so I opened both footings to a 24X18 to match. I dug under the existing slab to create a 3" key. So if there is uplift the slab will have to break or lift before the footing can move. The right footing is doweled into the house footing. So it's not moving.
I set and epoxied the upper bars tonight. I should be able to make the hooks to tie to the lower rebar Saturday. And pour Sunday.
The two bars and cross bar bisect all the lift bolts. It looks off center because it is. The footing location was 1.5" from the center expansion joint. So I opened it up to there. That way the rebar ties into the entire adjacent panel.

And Rawnkees. Knee pads are awesome!

Last edited by 1979-930; 12-08-2016 at 10:24 PM..
Old 12-08-2016, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: