Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Funny you bring up the copper coated nuts. I need to order my fuel gauge connection fittings from the same supplier. Looking at the start valve or the return line from the WUR because they both are a banjo connection and a double banjo will be simple.
Which of those two has a constant pressure reading? I think the start valve would be a good spot.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #501 (permalink)

Garage
I can't seem to get the intake manifold clean. It's this grey oxidized color that won't clean off. I'm thinking of powder coating or ceramic coating it.
Question on the ceramic coat. What is the air temp after the intercooler? If it's higher than ambient temp the ceramic would be a bad idea. But if it's lower the ceramic could help hold the lower temp.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #502 (permalink)

You get a temp rise with the turbo compression. Mine runs at about 20-30 deg C above ambient.
The inlet manifold does not get super hot - less than 100 deg C for sure. At a guess, around 50-60 Deg C.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 01-06-2018, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #503 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
The grey material you describe is calcium deposits. It's due moisture being able to seep down along the stud. I had to use a 10% solution of muratic acid and a eyedropper to dissolve the calcium deposits. Unfortunately, this caused pitting on the surfaces of the injector blocks. So they had to be replaced. If you can find something that isn't as aggressive as what I used, but still slightly acidic, that will do the trick. Maybe something citric?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-06-2018, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #504 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, So the ceramic coat is a bad idea.
I usually have good luck with Napa Raw Aluminum Cleaner. It has a good acidic level. But it didn't do squat on this intake. I'll have to give it another try.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #505 (permalink)

Get it soda blasted and then coat it with the VHT color of your choice. I used the GM satin black and it looks nice. I baked it per the instructions on the can.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #506 (permalink)

Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Derrick, I noticed from one of your pics that there appears to be RTV on the cam chain covers. Did the PO owner RTV the injector blocks to the intake manifold as well?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-07-2018, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #507 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Deez, I had the intake manifolds powder coated black, (many other parts, too) - sill looks great ten years and many thousands of miles later .
Old 01-07-2018, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #508 (permalink)

Garage
The PO did none of the work on this car. All the receipts are from a Porsche shop called Docís Garage in South Carolina. Supposed to be good, but on the head stud repair they used something other than locktight. Nothing leaks but I donít know what they used.
There is no sealant on the intake or injector blocks.

Sent from my iPhone while Driving
Old 01-07-2018, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #509 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
If you have a weighted rubber hammer (or block of wood with a weighted steel hammer), you might be able to jar the manifold free of the injector blocks. Never hit metal to metal. What you'll probably find is cylinder studs on cylinders 1-3 won't be seized to the manifold. It's cylinders 4-6 that seem to be the worst.
You might want to try a treatment of white vinegar with an eye dropper to the stud bores of manifold. I know it works when de-calcifying my coffee maker. It may take a couple nights of treatment to free it up. You should see some little bubbles forming when the white vinegar is applied. If it does, you know it's working. The calcium doesn't have to be completely dissolved, just softened so it releases it death-grip on the manifold.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #510 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ I did not mean to imply I could not get the intake off. I canít get it clean. I disassembled it today and will have it blasted. I will have a clear or aluminum color powder coat applied.

Cleaned the old gaskets off the exhaust ports and installed the new rear main seal today.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #511 (permalink)

Garage
I took the flywheel to be surfaced and intake to be hot tanked today.
I thought I would tackle the triangle of death tonight. While putting away the intake parts I became sidetracked with cleaning the throttle body.
After the carbon removal there were a few casting flaws. So a quick job turned into a two hour clean, de-burring and polish. Oh well

Old 01-08-2018, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #512 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Nice shiny hole , Deez! It looks like lots of rubbing was involved!
Old 01-08-2018, 10:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #513 (permalink)

Thats the way these jobs always go. You start on job x and find job y in the way. Take the time. It is your time and you are not charging for it. You won't have the engine out every day. Make it worth while. The biggest mistake is to try and do it under some timeline pressure. Don't rush it. Just cut it up into small chinks of work/jobs each day. When it all comes back together you will have a great sense of satisfaction. I did my SC about 12 yrs ago - from crankshaft up. First P job I had done. Took me about 4 months using Waynes book. The car still runs like a dream and not a drip of oil. I love just taking it for a drive.
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 01-08-2018, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #514 (permalink)

Garage
REALLY!
So I have a receipt for the top end work and ARP head studs done at Docís Garage in Lexington, SC. Supposed to be a good Porsche shop. This type of work makes me nervous.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #515 (permalink)

No need to be nervous. Just painstakingly careful. Do you have Wayne's book? A MUST.
Alan
Old 01-09-2018, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #516 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Ya' Deez, it's not too uncommon for builders to add a little, non-hardening sealer, such as Yamabond (which is what that appears to be), to things like that when they've seen them leak even after using new o-rings/seals.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #517 (permalink)

Garage
^^^Thatís good to hear. I have never seen sealant applied to an o-ring before.

Alan, I donít have Wayneís book. But I have Rawknees...
I should have got the book.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #518 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
. . . But I have Rawknees...
That was supposed to be a secret, you nasty blabbermouth!
Old 01-09-2018, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #519 (permalink)

Powdercoating: many of these cast parts are messy, impure alloys -- intake manifold, fan ring, fan, etc. There's a lot of magnesium and who knows what else in them, so they outgas badly during powdercoating, which can leave bubbles and fisheyes in the final finish.
Be sure to ask the powdercoater if he's experienced in coating magnesium parts. One common technique is to preheat the parts to outgas them, and sometimes follow up with a sealant coat and bake a second time.

Or use Cerakote. It's a lot thinner, so doesn't fill in the cast texture as much, and is applied and many cure at room temperature but still provide high temperature resistance.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 01-10-2018, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #520 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: