Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
79 #610 Winter Projects. Advise Needed

I ended up not ordering the German made fan housing. It is sort of a universal housing and not correct for my car. I actually found the correct one on eBay in really good condition. You can see how corroded mine is by the rounded edges and wavy back edge.
The only difference is the notch for the AC pulley. But Mark can put that in it.

I also got the intake back from being bead blasted and clear powder coated.

Vs.

Sent from my iPhone while Driving
Old 01-30-2018, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #541 (permalink)

Big D,looks fanfreekintastic.So did you just have it media blasted and powder coated?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2018, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #542 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Agreed with sexy Kev - the clear over mag looks very nice.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #543 (permalink)

Garage
Yep, just blasted and clear powder coat.
I was just in the garage admiring it.

I think Iím going to set the car down on jack stands so I can move the lift and start working on the multi-gauge and new shifter install.
I finally decided to put the gauge in the shift console. Itís not really in line of site. But it has data logging, multicolored status lights and a warning buzzer for out of range settings.
Plus who has time to watch the gauge 100% of the time on boost.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #544 (permalink)

Garage

Just an FYI. I posted in another thread asking about some heater ducting. I found the source and the temp ratings are really good, 550*. As a plus I like the black color better too.

https://ducting.com/collections/heat-ducting/products/silico-550-nomex

Old 02-06-2018, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #545 (permalink)

Garage
Derrick you should be able to source that heater duct at any local aircraft parts supplier or online. The pic above is SCEET (double layer) or SCAT (single layer) tubing and it comes in orange or black. They will usually sell it by the foot.

Last edited by Brian911T; 02-06-2018 at 05:39 PM..
Old 02-06-2018, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #546 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ I searched the Aircraft supply shops and could only find Black in 350* temp rating. And some of the black I looked at appeared cheaply made. No where near the quality of this product.
And at this point what's another $100.00. Lunch at Panera is up to $12.00 a day.

This looks cheap compared to what I ordered.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #547 (permalink)

Garage
You know how you start out on a project with a plan and order of attack.
Then as you discover added work and need parts, or are waiting on special parts, you find you have 10 things started and nothing finished.
Your organized plan is gone and you feel like youíre never going to finish.

Iím there!!

I was going to replace the heat diverters. But they werenít that bad. So I stripped them and painted them. I did find a broken cable guide Iím waiting on. Not surprised...

This pic was after I started stripping them.
I wanted to take a pic of them clean before painting, but I forgot.

Not the correct concourse color. Iím so ashamed.

Waiting on parts to finish this now.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #548 (permalink)

You are doing a great job, and what you are having to deal with is normal on an old car. Always more than expected. You are doing it right - you will get a lot of satisfaction later when on road, and something you know is in good condition. Having jobs you wish you did - while you were in there- but chose not to, just nag at you. And you end up going back later. Much easier to take the time and do it once and do it right. First time.
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #549 (permalink)

My 930 landed off the boat (ex Japan) in Oct. I planned on having it on the track by Xmas. Strip weight out, roll cage, check over brakes etc and GO.
I had the wrong Xmas. Out by 12 months. (And an ongoing project ever since - 10 yrs on)
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #550 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks Alan.
Iím just feeling like nothing is getting done right now.
I pulled the passenger seat so I can install the new WEVO and pull the wiring for the Multi Gauge.
I also need to find a mount for the gauge.
Iím going to look at the auto heat too while itís out. Iím hoping the frozen cables are the reason it wouldnít work.
Wishful thinking on my part.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #551 (permalink)

Well, you are in good company in this forum. Endless stories like that. I had a whole thread on my process - that lasted over a yr. Never even got the engine to run when I went to collect it. When I did get it going (of sorts) the transmission had a big clunk. When I replaced the torn clutch I found g/box synchros gone. When I replaced those I had major tuning problems - air leaks, cracked injector blocks, fuel head issues. Did I mention the wiring? Burnt out wires, jumped relays.
You will end up with a car that will blow you away - esp because of the work you put in to it. they are old, and complex. But awesome beasts. Welcome to the dark side. You are in the right place.
Alan
Old 02-13-2018, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #552 (permalink)

Garage

Son of a Biotch!

I started installing my Rocker arm locks from Turbo Craft with RSR seals. A little preventive maintenance while itís out.
Notice anything?

Look closer...

Last edited by 1979-930; 02-15-2018 at 09:00 PM..
Old 02-15-2018, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #553 (permalink)

Garage
Was it a diificult job? I was thinking of doing this with engine in the car. Does rocker shaft have to come out all the way? I was also thinking about replacing the elephant foot adjuster.
1988 Porsche 930 Targa - 3.4L Twin Plug Motor, DC 13 Cams, Supertec Head Studs, ARP Rod Bolts, Port and Polished Heads, Garretson Andial Intercooler, GSX 61 BB Stage 5Turbo, Tial F46 WG .8 Bar Spring, PowerHaus Headers, Rarly8 Dual Tip Muffler, MS3 Pro EFI conversion, 57lbs. Cobra Injectors, Center Force Stage 2 Clutch , Rebuilt 4 Speed with LSD.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #554 (permalink)

Garage
It can be done. But It would be very difficult in the car.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #555 (permalink)

Garage
I decided the engine will be waiting on parts now. My plan is to focus on the wiring for the gauge, ignition and turbo cooling system.

After trying to find a good spot for my Perfect Tuning gauge I reluctantly decided to loose the clock.

I disassembled the clock and found the gauge is slightly larger than the inner trim ring. I cut a piece of aluminum to make a ring that pinches the trim ring to the gauge holding it in place. The power wire fits through the light socket.

I thought I was done, but I found without the glass the outer trim did not fit correctly.
I went to TAPís plastic and got a remnant the same thickness. I cut out a trim ring to fill the gap. This finally gave me a reason to use the Dremel kit the Father in Law got me.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #556 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
Son of a Biotch!

I started installing my Rocker arm locks from Turbo Craft with RSR seals. A little preventive maintenance while itís out.
Notice anything?

Look closer...

Is that pitting on your ca m lobe?My eyes aren't what they used to be.No one told me I could go blind.Haha

Old 02-15-2018, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #557 (permalink)

yep, one more unexpected job.
"Was it a diificult job? I was thinking of doing this with engine in the car. Does rocker shaft have to come out all the way?"
It can be done - but not easy. And it depends a bit which way around the bushes screws/heads are oriented as to how easy/impossible. And you cannot torque them when fitting back. If you had a loose one, you would normally try and fix it in place - fingers crossed. if you want do a job that involves removing all, ..................
Yes they need to go completely back in the housing to free the rocker arms.
Really if you had to remove 12 of them, find a few other 'while you are in there ' jobs and pull the engine. My 02 cents.
Alan
Old 02-15-2018, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #558 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
yep, one more unexpected job.
"Was it a diificult job? I was thinking of doing this with engine in the car. Does rocker shaft have to come out all the way?"
It can be done - but not easy. And it depends a bit which way around the bushes screws/heads are oriented as to how easy/impossible. And you cannot torque them when fitting back. If you had a loose one, you would normally try and fix it in place - fingers crossed. if you want do a job that involves removing all, ..................
Yes they need to go completely back in the housing to free the rocker arms.
Really if you had to remove 12 of them, find a few other 'while you are in there ' jobs and pull the engine. My 02 cents.
Alan
I would yank that motor,that way you have some working room.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #559 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbodman930 View Post
Is that pitting on your ca m lobe?My eyes aren't what they used to be.No one told me I could go blind.Haha

Yes. The outer edge of #1 exhaust lob at the peak is pitted.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #560 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: