Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Derrick paint work looks great. I hear that SprayMax 2k paint is really nice and wish I had used it on my shroud. Where did you buy yours with the matched color.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #621 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356911930 View Post
Hi Derrick,

Did you rebuild your transmission yourself or have a shop do it? I may have missed it in the 30 pages of posts.

Thanks.

Rahl
Haha, I understand. The first few pages are not car related anyway.
I had Salerno Motorsports in Rocklin do it. I called Jerry West and they were 5 months out and a $4,500.00 minimum. Ben rebuilt mine for $3,400.00 10 or 12hrs labor plus parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian911T View Post
Derrick paint work looks great. I hear that SprayMax 2k paint is really nice and wish I had used it on my shroud. Where did you buy yours with the matched color.
Thanks. I did get one run where I was going a little heavy to blend a chip. I think one of the engine decals will cover it.
Jerry's Paints. A local body shop supply. They have a few stores spread around the valley, so they may be bigger than I'm aware of.

Get a disposable respirator. I forgot to get one and just doubled up a couple of dust masks. I was picking red boogers out all night and I'm sure I killed a few hundred brain cells.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #622 (permalink)

Garage
^^^

jeeees, so how many does that leave you with?

Rahl
Old 03-08-2018, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #623 (permalink)

Garage
And on another note...no dogteeth needed to be replaced? Just synchro's and bearings?

Rahl
Old 03-08-2018, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #624 (permalink)

Garage
Not many left. I suffer from CRS.

No hard gears were needed. He said reverse had a couple of small chips. Probably missed shifts. But if it did not make noise backing up then to leave it. So I did. And one bearing was fine, but it was a ball bearing that is known to fail. So we changed it anyway.

Parts:
Diff bearing
Carrier Bearing
Input bearing
Synchros
Shift sleeves
All gaskets, seals, washers, nuts

Not a lot, but at Porsche pricing the parts came to $2,068.00
Old 03-09-2018, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #625 (permalink)

That sounds like a good deal. Well done.
As for the dead brain cells - I have a tip. Drink more beer. It restores dead ones. The more beer I drink the more things I think I can do. It is due to the old brain cells rejuvenating.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 03-09-2018, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #626 (permalink)

Sheeeeeeeesh.. wonder how many people on this forum can tell where any random 911 part belongs by just looking at it.

Pretty cool
Old 03-09-2018, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #627 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ Yea. These guys are a huge help when it comes to asking questions and figuring this thing out.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #628 (permalink)

Garage
79 #610 Winter Projects. Advise Needed

I kinda backtracked on the gauge a little. I was in such a hurry to see if it would work I did not think it through completely. The main issue was the harness was designed for a front engine vehicle. In order to run the wires there would be a lot of splicing and separating. The gauge uses a data connector with very thin wire. So I contacted Samual at Perfect Tuning and requested a 20 harness for the sensors and with the power, ground and buzzer wires already separated at the gauge for connection.
He charged me a whopping $20.00 for this.
The buzzer fit inside the gauge housing and the mounting holes lined up with the clock mount holes. I got lucky there.

I sent my engine harness to Dennis, AKA Timmy2, and had him make me a new engine harness with all my sensor connectors for the gauge, MSD, Leask Solenoid and a 12agw feed for the fuse panel all neatly routed inside the harness.
I had him leave out the external volt regulator, distributor vacuum solenoid and a emissions solenoid connectors that wont be needed.

I started reassembling the engine area and found everything needs a thorough cleaning to look good against the new paint.
More Work.

Sent from my iPhone while Driving

Last edited by 1979-930; 03-11-2018 at 09:54 PM..
Old 03-11-2018, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #629 (permalink)

Garage

Cams and Rockers are done. I picked them up today.

Check out the custom bushings with oil groove Elgin makes. $505.00 for the rockers and $480.00 for the cam regrind. Pretty good deal IMO.

Last edited by 1979-930; 03-12-2018 at 10:25 PM..
Old 03-12-2018, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #630 (permalink)

Garage
Nice work, I'm impressed with your paint work sir.

Helio
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo
Old 03-13-2018, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #631 (permalink)

Big D,it looks like we bothe graduated from the same High tech paint em up academy.I just wish I would of paid more attention.Looks great.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2018, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #632 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ The fact you took the time to make that is funny and sad.
You don't respect my spray can skills? Wait until you see the front of your garage door tomorrow morning.

Helio can spot skills.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #633 (permalink)

What?Paid 100 bucks for my certification over the interweb.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2018, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #634 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip j View Post
yes, I googled it and saw all the components... just a little harder to fathom not seeing the setup ;-) good info though. Philip

Philip,

I started on the panel tonight. Its a blank slate. You can put the relays and fuses wherever you want. I started with the main power relay and the two auxiliary relays for the A/C fan and my turbo cooling system pump and fan.
You need to buy a special crimp tool for the connectors.

I made the main power feed first.

Dont forget to install the seals before the connectors. And make sure the connectors are all clocked the correct way.

Then just snap them into position.
I have the power and a couple of ground connections for the relays done here.

Ill post more when I run the feed for the fuses and connections.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #635 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
^^^ The fact you took the time to make that is funny and sad.
You don't respect my spray can skills? Wait until you see the front of your garage door tomorrow morning.

Helio can spot skills.
Don't let ol' Kev fool you - bisch is one hell of a skilled paint monkey (I've seen lots of his work behind the scenes - not like THAT! ).

The closeups of the rocker looks great, butt your fingers look like they need to be marinated in some p***y for a few hours!

And the new wiring harness is boss - Dennis is an artist with that shiit!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 03-14-2018 at 10:59 PM..
Old 03-14-2018, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #636 (permalink)

Garage

I have been poking along. My sons first race of the season is this Sunday so weve been at the track the last two weekends practicing.
I reinstalled the gauge, ran the harness for the gauge and installed the new throttle rod bushings. The data cable Perfect tuning supplied is so small it only needed a 3/8Id 5/16od grommet.

Throttle rod bushings some may not know exist.

I have the rear fuse panel done with what I can do on the bench. I need to route the final wires in the car before assembling.

I started putting the engine area back together tonight. I hope the vinyl holds up. It looks better than just foam.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #637 (permalink)

Garage
I have the fuse panel done. I need to finish routing and connecting power and sensor wires. Then clean up the spaghetti.
I moved the rear defrost and wiper to two different fuses in the panel.

I’m sure some are wondering why such a big panel for this. I only needed a 30 blank panel.
They make an 18 or 60 blank. Two 18’s would have been perfect, but due to the housing thickness and added mounts the 60 is smaller. Go figure.

I’m making myself finish the electrical and miscellaneous items before finishing the engine. I hope to get back to the cams and engine assembly in another week.

Last edited by 1979-930; 03-22-2018 at 06:34 AM..
Old 03-21-2018, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #638 (permalink)

Garage
Box of shiny stuff ready today.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #639 (permalink)

Garage
Great work !

May I ask who did your plating on the shiny bits, and how much ?

Thank you sir
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo
Old 03-23-2018, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #640 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: