Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
Oh I started turning that up before I wasted any time adjusting the WUR pressure. I am wondering if I should fully trust the digital gauge. The stock gauge and Perfect Tuning gauge are way off from each other. The factory gauge reads 1.0 BAR and the PT is at 12 PSI. I briefly hit 14.3 PSI on one of the pulls. But I lifted due to rpm

The car squats and pulls the front up hard now. It drives like the torsion bars are too soft again.

I need dyno time. Itís impossible to watch everything.
The factory boost gauge is notoriously unreliable. Mine works, but is definitely not accurate and shows higher like yours seems to. I trust my PLX gauge, not the stock one.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #841 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
I was able to get the AC recharged today. I had an issue with higher than expected high side pressures.
Rawknee bailed me out again and explained it was due to the condenser fan being disconnected. Two of the retaining straps broke, so I disabled the fan. Without that fan the pressures skyrocketed quickly.
I fixed the fan and the system charged normally. I had 30* vent temperatures last time, but the system froze on me a couple times.
This time I stopped at 33* vent temps with 225/20 pressures. There is a low pressure system moving in so it was only 78* ambient.

After that I put my first timing program in. 10* at idle to 32* at 2k with 5* retard to 27* at 14.5 psi. Very basic slope with no curve. Idle is better and low end from a stop is better. No detonation on boost.

My only problem is the enrichment disc for the wur is pushed all the way in and Iím still at 10.8 afr onset to 11.5 afr @ 13.5psi.
How do I lean this out? Do I have a bad WUR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2018, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #842 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Glad to help with the a/c situation, Deez ***forum dating***, I know!

About the AFR numbers - try leaning out the warm control pressure a few tenths - your car will likely cruise just fine (mine does even at 14.8-15.0, as mentioned previously) and you will see an accompanying leaning out of boost/enrichment AFRs, to some degree.

I'm not sure about the boost onset numbers - have you tried tuning around that with the boost onset fine tune on the WUR?
Old 05-30-2018, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #843 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff NJ View Post
The factory boost gauge is notoriously unreliable. Mine works, but is definitely not accurate and shows higher like yours seems to. I trust my PLX gauge, not the stock one.
I figured. It quits working once in a while too. Maybe twice a year.
I thinks it's more of a novelty gauge to sell cars.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #844 (permalink)

Garage
79 #610 Winter Projects. Advise Needed

So third time is a charm for adjusting the AAR. I learned the small pin can be pushed in to close the opening and reduce idle RPM. It also fully closes sooner. I think the new turbo and long neck increased air flow at idle causing the bypass to need adjusting. My cold rpm was 2,800!!!

Iím not 100% done, but done enough to drive it to Napa tomorrow! I finished barely in time for our 17th Anniversary trip.

Washed and ready to go.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #845 (permalink)

Garage
Beautiful! Enjoy the trip.

...17 years, nice.

Rahl
Old 06-01-2018, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #846 (permalink)

Good man. Now get on with the weekend!
Old 06-01-2018, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #847 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
So third time is a charm for adjusting the AAR. I learned the small pin can be pushed in to close the opening and reduce idle RPM. It also fully closes sooner. I think the new turbo and long neck increased air flow at idle causing the bypass to need adjusting. My cold rpm was 2,800!!!

This is so cool, I didn't know the AAR was adjustable, I'm gonna play with that.
1975 Carrera / 965 tribute w/ 1989 3.3 turbo 8.5:1, custom Evergreen K27 7200, 964 cams, euro CIS, TEC1 dual plug, rarlyL8 headers & hooligan pipe. 915/68 trans, kevlar clutch and lightweight pressure plate.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #848 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ Go a little at a time. You can't open it without full disassembly. See the bolts where the rivets should be. It's a total PIA to get the cap off the other side to access the nut.

So there is no such thing as being done with an old car.

The drivers window motor or regulator is jumping teeth now. Window gets half way up then pop,pop,pop. I tried lubing the felt with some silicone to see if the glass was binding and it still does it. I need to fix that now.

And the AC has an issue. While driving with the AC on for 10/15 min the whole system started turning off and on. Blower motor, fans, compressor; everything.
So I need to check pressures and try and duplicate the symptom. I have one of several things I think can cause this.
1. Pressures too high and tripping the switch
2. Faulty pressure switch
3. Faulty relay <--- wouldn't that be a nice and easy fix...
4. Faulty or clogged expansion valve

Any thing else that could cause this?

Last edited by 1979-930; 06-04-2018 at 06:57 AM..
Old 06-04-2018, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #849 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Deez, the pressure switch/too high or low pressures only affects the compressor clutch operation (evapor fan, etc, still functions) - same with the expansion valve being plugged (no effect on evap fan operation). The whole system shutting down is likely the "whole system" relay in the smuggler's box or some other wiring issue.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 06-04-2018 at 09:47 AM..
Old 06-04-2018, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #850 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy View Post
. . . I'm gonna play with that.
Quote:
^^^ Go a little at a time. . . .
???

!!!

Old 06-04-2018, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #851 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
???

!!!

Awe, are you feeling left out? you're welcome to lend a hand
1975 Carrera / 965 tribute w/ 1989 3.3 turbo 8.5:1, custom Evergreen K27 7200, 964 cams, euro CIS, TEC1 dual plug, rarlyL8 headers & hooligan pipe. 915/68 trans, kevlar clutch and lightweight pressure plate.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #852 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy View Post
Awe, are you feeling left out? you're welcome to lend a hand
Only one hand?!?!
Old 06-04-2018, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #853 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Yo' Deez, per our non-forum troubleshooting conversation about the unique placement and function of your pressure switch (unique with regard to other 911 systems), make sure that the switch and/or dryer body is adequately grounded - for testing purposes, maybe temporarily ground with alligator clips and wires and see how it responds.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #854 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ I'll check that too. It will be later in the week or next week.
I decided yesterday to take a short break after 5 months of non stop Porsche wrenching.
I need to get a few house and yard projects done.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #855 (permalink)

Big D,House work?seriously, your only allowed to work on your car.Haha you have done a crap ton 0f work on the old girl and man she looks good and i am sure make some serious POWER.I wish i had your talent as far as turning wrenches you really have done a great job.Something to be proud of.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2018, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #856 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ Yep, house work. I had a storage container dropped off Monday. Moving everything out of the garage. My Man cave needs a remodel.
I'm going to fix the walls and paint, level the floor and epoxy, get some nice cabinets and a tool box.

Thanks for the complements. I'd like to get on the Dyno but Don's has been down for a few weeks. They are supposed to get it fixed this week. There is a lot of people waiting in front of me.
I'd go somewhere else, but I've known Don for 20-25 years. I'll wait.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #857 (permalink)

Garage
79 #610 Winter Projects. Advise Needed

It took longer than I expected, but I finally have an organized and clean garage.
Fixed the walls and painted, leveled the floor and epoxy coated, and got some good cabinets and tool boxes.
No more Home Depot shelving for work benches.

Now back to working on the 930.

The only before shot I have. I’m so bad at remembering to take before pics.

Last edited by 1979-930; 07-25-2018 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: After Picture Added after Rahl's post
Old 07-25-2018, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #858 (permalink)

Garage
Derrick,

A before and after shot would be great! I know you did a lot of work there.

Rahl
Old 07-25-2018, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #859 (permalink)

Garage
That must be VERY satisfying. The "wet look" floor looks great. John.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #860 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: