Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

I've never driven a car with floating rotors, but they work extremely well on motorcycles (especially for racing purposes) for keeping the rotors parallel with the calipers' pistons/pads, as heat builds up. I would ASSume the same goes for use in cars (aka - no real need for them in street applications, butt cool to have, nonetheless).
Old 02-11-2017, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Garage
Today, they aren't that common on motorcycles. Drove them for decades, but most of the brands don't have them available since a while (since cast discs aren't en vogue). Looks like benefits aren't worth anymore .
However loved my Spiegler on my bike. Downsides: Noisy on every bump, Floating seats are worn very soon, when discs are worn, center part/fittings are worn too, had to change both every time.

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 02-13-2017, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Well between kids sports and fixing a basketball hoop I didn't get to work on the car much. I did get a couple hours to get the calipers off and shipped to PMB today for restoring. They say it will be 4 to 6 weeks.
Some before pictures of the 37 years and 80k+ miles before I make it look like 5 years and 5k miles. I'm not going for perfect. Just a really clean driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2017, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

WOW, Deez, your engine will wake the efffff up whenever you replace those super lamo, early headers (with the thermal reactor replacement manifolds) with something better - no joke.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

Garage
I know. I'm saving this car from years of lameness.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

We've sold every last one of those lame original exhaust systems we had sitting up on a storage shelf.
All these guys converting cars back to original in an attempt to get top dollar at auction.
"Here, let me reinstall all those original shortcomings, it makes the car better..." :-(
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 02-14-2017, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Garage
I hope you made them pay dearly Chris. Storage space isn't cheap.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

I assume you'll be replacing the spring plate bushings?
Old 02-14-2017, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Garage
Yes. I have all the bushings. I'm just putting new Rubber in. It will never be a track car.

From an early post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
For the suspension; A guy I met on the PCA run Saturday turned me onto Steve at Rensport Systems. I spoke with Steve on Tuesday about my car and what type of driving I like to do. So based on his recommendations I'm getting 22 & 29 mm torsion bars. The fronts struts will have re-positioned spindles and the rear shocks will be shorter to match my current ride height. Both will be custom valved for the car and torsion bars. Add a bump steer kit and basic strut tower brace. The rest will just be new rubber bushings throughout.

Last edited by 1979-930; 02-14-2017 at 07:55 PM..
Old 02-14-2017, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Garage
Ball Joints? Have you changed yours? At what miles were they needed?
Mine are fine. But I have this "while I'm in there" thought to replace them.
I guess I don't want to spend another $300 on parts and a tool unless It's needed.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

Garage
I found the Elephant site recommends changing ball joints every 30 to 50,000 miles.
Seems to me ball joints should last longer than that. But I ordered a set with new hardware from our host.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

79 #610 Winter Projects. Advise Needed

Quote:
Whether it's a good thing or not I still have the floating rotors.

You need to keep the floating rotor setup. These are unique to the 78/79 930 and some day soon will make these cars worth $$$$ over current prices. Even now nicely cared for 78/79 930s are carving a niche market.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Garage
Every time I remove something I find three added things that need replacement. So I just took everything apart and ordered more stuff.
In the meantime I dropped off all the black painted suspension parts to be powder coated today. I fixed one ground down tow hook last night before dropping off.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

I like your . . . . style, Deez!
Old 02-23-2017, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Garage
79 #610 Winter Projects. Advise Needed

Oh man what one could read into the . . . . In that statement.

Thanks at least one person is following my boring posts.

Is it sacrilegious that that bolt came off of my 70 Bronco build over 20 years ago? You can see remnants of the Grabber Blue on the head.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

Garage
Now that I stop and think about it. I like that a little DNA from the one vehicle I regret selling is grafted into this car.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Oh man . . . Blue on the head.

Where you been puttin' it, Deez?!?!
Old 02-24-2017, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Garage
I picked up the few black pieces from powder coating today. The calipers are still two weeks out and the zinc parts are three to four. So I'm going to start on installing the oil cooler and fan.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Every time I see a pic of that ^^^ style oil cooler, I think "You've got to be shartin' me"! That's something that looks like it belongs on a Model T, or similar machine.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)

Garage
Keep it simple was the Porsche way.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: