Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Knee Pads are Overrated!

So can you now modify/trim the intercooler shroud so that it can be re-installed?

BUTT, maybe not worth the trouble since I think that you've said you are going to install a non-stock intercooler and will need to make your own, custom shroud (like my bad self did years ago ), soon, correct?

PS - regardless of the poor install instructions, that condenser sure looks the business!
Old 03-19-2017, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #161 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
^^^ The intercooler shroud will fit back on after the condenser is installed. It just has to come off to finagle the condenser with the lines and brackets already attached. The overall fit is too tight IMO. The condenser needs to be moved 1/4" forward (with the lid closed) or down ( with the lid up) to fit properly. I think the hard line may be rubbing on the back side at the very top. No way to see or tell.

The engine mods are definitely going to be a next winter task. I want to go through the fuel system at the same time and have the injectors and fuel head checked.
My plan is to get all the parts, I think I'll need, and try to do this one time.
One more year in stock mode.

Last edited by 1979-930; 03-20-2017 at 07:40 AM..
Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #162 (permalink)

Garage
79 #610 Winter Projects. Advise Needed

So during this week I got the hoses routed and installed, Compressor installed, wiring is all done to the blower and high pressure switch and the upgraded front condenser fan is installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 1979-930; 03-26-2017 at 09:52 PM..
Old 03-26-2017, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #163 (permalink)

Garage
79 #610 Winter Projects. Advise Needed

I also mounted the new center vent. I didn't want to mount it to the dash or center console. So I cut the tabs off and notched the plastic so I could use a hose clamp to strap it directly to the factory tube.

Last edited by 1979-930; 03-26-2017 at 09:53 PM..
Old 03-26-2017, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #164 (permalink)

I'm waiting for my shipment of barrier hose and fittings so I can get started. I have my own crimper. I put the binary switch right at the Sanden 507 compressor I have and got a new drier and expansion valve. I'm using the original condensers and evaporator, took them off and flushed with acetone to get the mineral oil out and drained the compressor. It rarely gets above 90 here so I'm hoping they work ok with 134.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #165 (permalink)
Old car guy.....

Garage
Looks great! Wow a lift......one can only dream.
Did you install a fan on your rear condenser? I think this is really worth doing.
Good job!
81 SC Euro WB, 930/51, 3.0l Bored & Stroked to 3.2l, Ported Polished Twin Plug heads, Ruf IC, K27 7006, Powerhaus headers, Zork, 009 inj, Alum inj blks, 044 pump, BLwur, Mocal Oil cooler, LM2, 930 4 sp LSD, 930 Brembo brakes, Retroair a/c, Euromeisters.....
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #166 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Yes, a 10" fan mounted to the bottom of the original tail condenser wired to the compressor clutch power supply will do more for making cold AC then anything else you do. Been there done that.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #167 (permalink)

Garage
Boosted,
I would spend the extra on the rear condenser and at a minimum get the upgraded evaporator. You can buy it separate from Griffiths. The design and quality is night and day. The front condenser is the same design so no need to buy that. Mine was definitely leaking. It was full of water when I removed it.

Steve,
I planed on installing the rear fan. I forgot all about it until I was at the install phase. The condenser was such a pain to install I may try it without for now, because I have the front condenser with fan. I was thinking of strapping the fan to the condenser with brackets that screw to the edge support, so I do not have to remove the condenser to install. I don't know. That is something I can do on a Saturday down the road if I need to.

Did you add a relay for the fan from the back fuse panel? Or did you need to run a new power wire from the front panel? I know everyone uses the compressor power as a trigger.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #168 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

Jim Fairman thought of the best way to wire those fans - power pulled from starter lug, wired to relay that is activated by the compressor clutch signal wire. I did that to power the tail condenser fan and also the rear fender condenser fan.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #169 (permalink)
Old car guy.....

Garage
Steve,
Did you add a relay for the fan from the back fuse panel? Or did you need to run a new power wire from the front panel? I know everyone uses the compressor power as a trigger.[/QUOTE]

I wired it thru a relay from the rear fuse box triggered by the compressor. Thanks to Jim Fairman on this idea!
81 SC Euro WB, 930/51, 3.0l Bored & Stroked to 3.2l, Ported Polished Twin Plug heads, Ruf IC, K27 7006, Powerhaus headers, Zork, 009 inj, Alum inj blks, 044 pump, BLwur, Mocal Oil cooler, LM2, 930 4 sp LSD, 930 Brembo brakes, Retroair a/c, Euromeisters.....
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #170 (permalink)

Garage
Well if I would have remembered to get the clips that were missing for the steering shaft cover I could have got the fresh air/heat done tonight. I have to put those on or there won't be anyway to reach them after the air diverter is on. But y'all knew that.

I think I should have everything done so I can start reassembling the suspension this weekend.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #171 (permalink)

Garage
I almost finished. The cables on the back side were tough and getting the master cylinder in isn't easy. There is not a lot of room to hook up brake lines and the lower cross over cable for the fresh air. I have one more duct and a few nuts to install.
It's the weirdest thing. When you install everything correctly all the cables move without binding and the air dampers open and close fully. Amazing right.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #172 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
Amazing right.
Yep!

And Deez, I wanted to mention that one option for mounting a fan to your tail condenser, is to use simple "zip post" hold downs. They are available at most auto parts stores and are called various things like "electric fan installation kit". For example, at O'Reilly's, they are in the section with aftermarket transmission coolers and the like. They can also be ordered from Summit Racing, Amazon, etc.

At first glance, they might seem a little hokey, butt they work very well, are sturdy, very easy to work with, and inexpensive. And if you position the top "discs" just right, they are completely hidden by the slats in the tail grill.

You don't need to fully remove the condenser to install them - can just loosen and allow it to drop down enough to get your fingers and some dykes in there to cut the excess material.

Maybe you are already familiar with these, however?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13001?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-derale-cooling-products&gclid=Cj0KEQjwk-jGBRCbxoPLld_bp-IBEiQAgJaftS1114TSh-CGowoPd7YSNVCdOF4PPz4ykvY3maBZJ68aApzv8P8HAQ

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 03-28-2017 at 10:41 PM..
Old 03-28-2017, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #173 (permalink)

Garage
That is a good option. I'll have to see how far the condenser will come down.
Don't want to drag my knuckles on the back side and fold over half the fins trying to cut the ties.

Anyone know the proper routing for the master vent line and windshield washer line?
I have all the parts to put the windshield washer system back in. I know I'll hardly use it, but I have this weird OCD condition about everything working.
I literally obsess, sometimes it keeps me awake, over things that don't function properly. On the other side I get pure enjoyment fixing them. I'm f'ng crazy.

Last edited by 1979-930; 03-29-2017 at 12:26 PM..
Old 03-29-2017, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #174 (permalink)

Garage
The fresh air/heat is done. The master is installed and pedal assembly is cleaned up and reinstalled. It was starting to rust in the bottom.
The 38 year old vent assembly cover tore reinstalling it. I probably won't replace it. You can't see it behind the carpet anyway.
You can't really see the lower vent I added. I like it that way.

I need help figuring out the relay wiring for the oil cooler fan. I know which pins do what. But I don't know what color wire connects to each pin. I have two red/white, one red, one grey, one brown. See pic.
(^^^ Don't answer that. I'm an idiot. Leaving this here to prove it!)

Last edited by 1979-930; 03-31-2017 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: Easier to type from a computer than a phone
Old 03-30-2017, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #175 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Deez, are you asking for help with figuring out which pins on the relay socket you posted a pic of correspond to the colored wires coming out of it? If so, you can use the continuity test feature on your multimeter to determine which pin goes with which wire. Are you familiar with how to do that? If not, I will give your some tips (more than just the) on how to proceed.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #176 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ Oh God. Is it too late to delete my post??? Sometimes I forget the basics. What a Dumb A ** I am
Old 03-31-2017, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #177 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

No shame in moments of insignificant dumbassery, Deez (***forum dating***, I know). Plus, you're still welcome to (more than just) the tip, regardless!!!
Old 03-31-2017, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #178 (permalink)

Uh looks like you can find what you are looking for in pic #1 believe me i am a dumb*** too.I wish i would of stayed in school.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2017, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #179 (permalink)

Garage
You mean like this. How I did not think of this instantly is so embarrassing.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #180 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: