Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceboy View Post
It is possible, I have done it several times. But there are few things to notice. First thing is that you need to mark the position of the compressor wheel relative to the shaft (make a small scratch or something, not with pen, it will be washed out!).
And it will be visible when removing the compressor housing whether there is even point going any further: if the comp wheel has touched the housing, no point going further.

If wheel seems fine, remove the wheel and then you can access the backplate bolts etc. I don't have repair guide for KKK (I have done several Holsets and Schwitzers), but it would be useful so you can check the factory tolerances for rear seal groove wear limits etc.

Here are few links you might find useful:

Repair guide for KKK:
KKK Turbo rebuild instructions - anyone have them? - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Parts diagram:
http://www.vaglinks.com/docs/catalogues/melett.com_kkkcatalog.pdf

And here's some useful information also:

Help rebuilding a stock k27 turbo
Reviving an old thread...

Where can one buy a quality k27 rebuild kit?

Still debating rebuilding mine... while I’m in there... motor was fully rebuilt just putting on the final pieces... turbo has some slight play, fine oil mist in intake...

Does anyone have a link to specs for normal end play and axial play? For all I know it’s in spec, 65k miles, not sure if rebuilt before...

Last edited by bpu699; 12-29-2019 at 04:21 PM..
Old 12-29-2019, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

I have used Tim in the past:
https://www.timsturbos.com/turbocharger-services/
Old 12-29-2019, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Reviving an old thread...

Where can one buy a quality k27 rebuild kit?

Still debating rebuilding mine... while Iím in there... motor was fully rebuilt just putting on the final pieces... turbo has some slight play, fine oil mist in intake...

Does anyone have a link to specs for normal end play and axial play? For all I know itís in spec, 65k miles, not sure if rebuilt before...
Should you change your mind (come to your senses) on trying to save a few hundred dollars with the DIY route, simply ship your K27 to Charlie at Evergreen Turbo Co.

There's a lot of repairs we wholly endorse trying out DIY, but a turbocharger rebuild is not one of them.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 12-30-2019, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

^^^^^^^^ he is the man.

he did all "his" mods to reduce turbo lag on my 7200 and it was not that much.

don't waste your time unless you just want to learn about the turbo.
i did one strictly as a learning experience. i was fine with spending the $100 on a rebuild kit knowing that i would likely still send it be rebuilt. and i did.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 12-31-2019, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Should you change your mind (come to your senses) on trying to save a few hundred dollars with the DIY route, simply ship your K27 to Charlie at Evergreen Turbo Co.

There's a lot of repairs we wholly endorse trying out DIY, but a turbocharger rebuild is not one of them.
Yeah, figured. Durabilt used to be in Chicago, they closed recently. May need to ship if needs rebuild.

What’s a ballpark price nowadays?

Last edited by bpu699; 12-31-2019 at 01:27 PM..
Old 12-31-2019, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

As others have said, Charlie at Evergreen. Once you talk with him you’ll understand why he best.

Last edited by timc; 01-01-2020 at 11:35 AM..
Old 01-01-2020, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: