Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

oil leak

I have an oil leak that looks like it is coming from the "notches" pictured. How do I fix this?

Old 09-12-2016, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Looks like rocker arms. Hehe. If so full or half drop the engine, remove cam tower etc. 2nd choice wait till it get worst and do a complete reseal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2016, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

a worse scenario would be broken head stud(s), pull the valve cover make sure the studs are in tact
Old 09-12-2016, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Looks bone dry to me.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Where can I find the instructions on how to fix?
Old 09-13-2016, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

To me, it is a little difficult to tell exactly from where the leak(s) is occurring. It could well be coming from where the cam tower meets the head, and/or the oil tubes; or possibly from somewhere else based upon the fact that that one cylinder tin is oily.

If it were me, I would get a couple of cans of Berryman's carburetor cleaner and spray all of the oily and dirty surfaces including the area of the green seals for the oil tubes, removing all the guck, grime, and oil. I would then reassemble and drive the car a bit taking a peek each day to see exactly from whence the oil came. Once you know that, you will know where to start the repair. If the leak(s) is dripping very minimally, maybe wait and repair at a later time when you have an engine out repair(s) to perform.

If it is dripping quite a bit from the cam towers, that repair is not the easiest in the world as there are many things that have to be done to R & R a tower...

Last edited by icemann427; 09-13-2016 at 08:50 AM..
Old 09-13-2016, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

It is leaking from the notches beside the fins i took pictures of.

I have sent it to 2 different shops and it still leaks. Apparently none of the shops around here can fix it so i have to fix it myself.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Before you get into taking the towers off, were the valves adjusted or was there any work done related to the rocker arms prior to the leakage? The reason I ask is...The rocker arm shafts must be aligned in their seats, correctly, and they must be tight, or oil may leak through the seats showing up in the manner consistent with your problem.

So, was there a valve adjustment done? And did you take your car to a GOOD Porsche mechanic who know Porsche's, intimately? Because if not, this simple fix could be all that is needed...
Old 09-13-2016, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

To summarize what IcyHot and the other guys have said, you've got several possibilities for oil in those spots:

1) oil return tubes leaking and running down to the "notches".

2) oil leaking past the rocker arm shafts (would need to pull valve/rocker covers and see if all of the arms in in their proper positions and "dry" on the outside . . . they are known to "walk" in their bores some and then leak).

3) broken head studs - checked by removing rocker covers and seeing if any of the stud nuts (Paul's speciality !!!) are loose or actually drop out due to broken studs(s).

4) a problem with the sealer that was used to seal the cam carriers to the heads.

All of the above are major jobs to fix, particularly for someone who is new to these engines. Numbers 1, 2 and 3 are fairly easy to check out, however.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

If you call those shots a leak you haven't really seen one...
Old 09-13-2016, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Do not have to remove engine or cam housings to fix leaks around the rocker shafts.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 09-13-2016, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I took the valve cover off and took some pictures. What am I looking for?

Old 09-15-2016, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Metal Guru

Garage
Before ripping anything else apart, I would check the oil breather line and thermostat (triangle of death) on top of the engine. Any leak up on top (and leaks there are likely to be present) will allow oil to run down between the cylinders and to the lowest point on the engine; the bottom of the cam towers/covers.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, H&R Coilovers, ESB spring plates- 210 lb
Old 09-15-2016, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Bobby,

It appears in the photos that one or more of the exhaust rocker are shafts are leaking into the area where the spark plug(s) (the engine is twin plugged?). The rocker arm shaft is held in place by tightening a through bolt that causes the conical end washers to expand the rocker shaft ends against the rocker shaft bore in the cam housing. If the rocker arm shaft loosens, it looses the seal in the cam housing and a small amount of oil will leak from the shaft bore down into the spark plug cavity and will find its way to the bottom of the head where it looks like the head/cam housing joint is leaking. I had this problem on my '77 which was due to a broken rocker arm shaft. Also, I installed RSR seals on the lower (exhaust) rocker arms to prevent further leaks.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Looking at the second photo where the hole is in the valve cover gasket, it looks like the rocker arm is coming out of the bore. That would indicate that rocker shaft is loose.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The way I understand it just tighten up the rocker bolts as tight as I can get them. Do I need to take them out and put lock tight on them or just tighten them down?
Old 09-15-2016, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Bobby,

I fully agree with 911nut on checking the oil sending unit to make sure it is not leaking. They are notorious for doing just that. I also agree with Dap on that one shaft that appears to be sticking out too far.

Feel around the outside ends of the rocker arm shafts and see if you can feel any oil. If you do, then possibly it is just a matter of making sure the shafts are correct and tight. However, Bobby, it is not as easy as just tightening the conical ends of the rocker arm shafts. Each shaft must be in it's correct place/position.

The shaft is in three pieces. Two outside ends (that you tighten) and the center section. Where each outside piece meets the center section, there is a seam. Those two seams need to line up with the inside edge of the tower retainer shaft bore where the outside edges of the rocker arm abutts the cam tower. You will most likely have to take off one rocker arm and slide the shaft in to figure out exactly where the seams are in relation to the ends.

You may want to take each shaft out, clean them, as well as, the bores (for lack of a better word), and put white grease on the shafts when you reassemble. To tighten one of the end shafts on each head, you may have to shorten the Allen key to be able to tighten it, correctly. You do not use lock tight on them...

Obviously, taking the shafts out and cleaning them and the bore will require you to have to adjust the valves...

Last edited by icemann427; 09-15-2016 at 10:34 AM..
Old 09-15-2016, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

where is the oil sending unit?

Where are the outside end of the rocker arm so I can feel it from the outside?

I need step by step instructions to fix it.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Bobby,

The oil pressure warning light sensor is located on the top of the oil breather cover at the forward center of the engine below the CIS metering housing. The switch has a history of leaking through the housing which allows oil to run down under the fan shroud and down the outer engine case where the cylinders mate up to the block. The engine oil thermostat is located next to it which could also be leaking oil past the cartridge O-rings to allow oil to run under the fan shroud. This area is known as "the triangle of death". It is a pain to get to this area without removing the CIS metering housing.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Bobby,

Just PM me and give me your phone number. It will be too time consuming to attempt to tell you how to do it in writing...And, tell me in what time zone you live so I know when to call.

Last edited by icemann427; 09-21-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Old 09-21-2016, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: