Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

engine compartment cleanup suggestions

Looking for some tidy up this corner of the engine compartment suggestions/photos. The small kn filter is marginal function and allows for oil to be nicely distributed all around the area, would love to get it cleaned up proper. Anyone had any success with replumbing/removing any components here? Like to get the plug wire routing together, any source for clamps/clips? Have engine tin with provision for lower plugs getting powder coated. Rawknees how do YOU handle it when there's too much lube?

Old 09-19-2016, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

SexySlyGuy, there is no such thing as "too much lube"!

Butt regarding the little filter and the mess it creates; I have that hose attached to a catch can, and then run the catch can's vent out of the engine bay (right along side the a/c hoses) - the end of the hose is zip tied to the right side, anti-roll bar bracket, and I put an angled cut in the end of it so that air cannot rush into the hose at speed (probably a needless, overkill step, butt that's how I roll!).

Let me know if you would like pics of it (not "it" , but the catch can setup).

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 09-19-2016 at 04:00 PM..
Old 09-19-2016, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I used the same idea. I got one of these catch cans and drilled and tapped some extra lines in for the
-vent line from turbo oil tank that goes to LHS rear (closest to rear of car) of air box
-WUR vent line that runs to RHS rear underneath airbox
-Line from oil/air separator on RHS of engine compartment to front RHS of airbox
-Line from charcoal canister in RHS rear wheel well to front RHS of airbox
-An additional line I added to vent all this to atmosphere which I ran back out the car to the wheel well

I used these fittings from jegs:
3/8", 1/2", 1", 3/4"

I fabbed up a little bracket to mount the can vertically on the mount where the 13mm nut that holds the bottom of the factory airbox is.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
SexySlyGuy, there is no such thing as "too much lube"!

Butt regarding the little filter and the mess it creates; I have that hose attached to a catch can, and then run the catch can's vent out of the engine bay (right along side the a/c hoses) - the end of the hose is zip tied to the right side, anit-roll bar bracket, and I put an angled cut in the end of it so that air cannot rush into the hose at speed (probably a needless, overkill step, butt that's how I roll!).

Let me know if you would like pics of it (not "it" , but the catch can setup).
You're a wise beyond your years. Love to see a photo of your setup, not into the snapchat thing though...
Old 09-19-2016, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I used the same idea. I got one of these catch cans and drilled and tapped some extra lines in for the
-vent line from turbo oil tank that goes to LHS rear (closest to rear of car) of air box
-WUR vent line that runs to RHS rear underneath airbox
-Line from oil/air separator on RHS of engine compartment to front RHS of airbox
-Line from charcoal canister in RHS rear wheel well to front RHS of airbox
-An additional line I added to vent all this to atmosphere which I ran back out the car to the wheel well

I used these fittings from jegs:
3/8", 1/2", 1", 3/4"

I fabbed up a little bracket to mount the can vertically on the mount where the 13mm nut that holds the bottom of the factory airbox is.
Sounds pretty clean as well, any chance you have a picture available? I like the idea of consolidating all the lines, seems like I have oil coming from every connection.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just noticed do u not have a pad for the firewall??

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2016, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Just asking because it looked like glue and oil

Old 09-19-2016, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin930t View Post
Just noticed do u not have a pad for the firewall??

Ha mostly glue. Every pad I've had on a 911/930 has deteriorated and disintegrated. It's also on the cleanup list.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

SexySly, here's my pimp-can. I made it out of an old, stainless steel, 1 quart paint pot that I had since way back when I used pressure fed paint rigs. I sourced the various hose fittings from Lowe's (plastic -nylon, I think) - they had all the correct sizes I was looking for. I riveted that attachment arm on and didn't like the looks of my rivet placement so covered in rubber patch (talk about vain, right?!?!). I modified the lid so that it now is held in place with a rubber strip and hose & zip clamps (original hold down arm blocked the top of the lid for the most part) The arm is then fastened down to one of the original mount points for the rediculous, mailbox air cleaner hosing that these cars came with - been trouble free for may years. I loosely stuffed the can with stainless steel scouring pad material so that only vapor wouuld leave the can's vent - liquid clings to the steel wool.

It would be much simpler to buy a real catch can, like FreakyFlightLead did, obviously, butt I seem to like to spend untold hours making stuff from almost scratch.

I think in the first pic you can see a red vacuum cap on the bottom of the can - that is on a small hose barb fitting I put on the bottom . . . remove cap and can drain can without removing it (never had more than a drip or two come out of there, though).

Old 09-19-2016, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Just for fun, here's how it looks in relation to the other components (aka - not zoomed in so much).

Old 09-19-2016, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Ronnie, if you only get a couple drops, why have a catch can? I posited that question and couldn't come up with a good answer, so I removed mine and ran a tube down right where yours is and I put a mesh screen in there to keep anything from making it's way up. No issues so far and no can to fabricate.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Jeff, I agree 100%, and had I known about the "only a couple of drops" ahead of time I would not have taken the trouble to make the can, and in fact, that bisch might get retired!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Good to hear hear I'm not completely off the reservation on this.

I'm not home tonight, but I'll take some pics tomorrow of how I ran mine if anyone is interested.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Like others in this thread I made a custom catch-can. I found an elbow fitting that was large enough to accommodate the factory breather hose.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I used aluminium fittings rather than plastic because I hate plastic anything in the engine compartment. They always get brittle and break sometime down the road. Same reason I eschew zip ties and use the archaic but much better waxed lacing cord to tie things up back there.

I'll snap a pic or two when I return home.

Regarding the sound pad, I bought the heavy duty one from our hosts to replace the stock one last year. That pad is really heavy duty! Its very hard to cut with a foil backing. Make sure to trim as needed before installation otherwise you'll have a b*tch of a time as I did :-(

Last edited by flightlead404; 09-20-2016 at 10:21 AM..
Old 09-20-2016, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

catch can

I also used a catch can and vented through the tin to under the car. When vented with a filter in the engine compartment, I experienced a lot of engine fumes in the cabin, especially with the heater on. Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LM-2/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin COP/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 09-20-2016, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

my brother bought a CC I think from summit racing that had a fitting for the 930 hose.
I made a bracket like the one patina did and mounted to the same place.
I was out looking for the same CC because I need one. guess I need to ask where he got it.

it was a very nice CC.

BTW, I was also nice enough to have it powder coated for him.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 09-20-2016, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

^ I need to powdercoat mine black but I'm lazy.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post

I think in the first pic you can see a red vacuum cap on the bottom of the can - that is on a small hose barb fitting I put on the bottom . . . remove cap and can drain can without removing it (never had more than a drip or two come out of there, though).

I don't know much about small barb fittings and loose stuffing but I know a red rocket when I seen it. easy big fella...
Old 09-20-2016, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyguy View Post
. . . but I know a red rocket when I seen it. easy big fella...
As it pertains to posts #1&2, rocket redness would be indickative of insufficient oiling; not a sign of "too much lube".

Old 09-20-2016, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: