Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.0 paxton supercharger info

Hi I bought this kit from another pelican S.O.K kit with a paxton supercharger for a 3.0 motor just trying to figure out what else is needed and if it needs a relief gate or waste gate .I see one the cap that goes on throttle body has a vent pipe coming out of the side just want to know what gets attached to it ...they gave me some info on one guy doc who made the kit get any other info other than this 4 page booklet and he mentioned another guy mike in Kentucky ...but I haven't been able other info I know not too many of these survived because then came the 3.2 kits and help would be appreciated

Old 09-21-2016, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

A waste gate is for turbochargers, it controls the speed of the turbo by diverting excess exhaust away from the turbocharger.

I think a bypass or "blow-off" valve is what you are looking for. This is vacuum operated, so when you close the throttle, it opens and allows pressurized air to be vented to atmostphere (blow-off valve) or be redirected to the intake tract between the filter air box and supercharger inlet. This valve prevents the engine from surging/jolting.

The easiest way to tune is to size your pulley for the maximum compressor speed you want to run, there are compressor maps and custom sized pulleys available online, but since this was a "kit" it should be figured out for you.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
SOK made two units. One was the centrifugal Paxton and the other was the roots whipple type. The Paxton kit did not use any type of blow-off valve.

1976 RSR Backdate (Turbo 3.2)
Old 09-22-2016, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
what help do you need? I can try to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelny911 View Post
Hi I bought this kit from another pelican S.O.K kit with a paxton supercharger for a 3.0 motor just trying to figure out what else is needed and if it needs a relief gate or waste gate .I see one the cap that goes on throttle body has a vent pipe coming out of the side just want to know what gets attached to it ...they gave me some info on one guy doc who made the kit get any other info other than this 4 page booklet and he mentioned another guy mike in Kentucky ...but I haven't been able other info I know not too many of these survived because then came the 3.2 kits and help would be appreciated
Old 09-27-2016, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Here are the plumbing that came with it .if you look on one of them there's a vent pipe sticking out want to know does in get attached to vent of oil tank ...
Old 09-28-2016, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
That is nice!!
Looks Retro , i wonder how they compare performance wise against a k27?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

The vent pipe goes here:

That feeds metered air to the aux air regulator and aux air valve in the CIS. It helps the car at cold start.

If you need a manual, I can send to you. Send me a PM with your email.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
The vent pipe goes here:

That feeds metered air to the aux air regulator and aux air valve in the CIS. It helps the car at cold start.

If you need a manual, I can send to you. Send me a PM with your email.
Thanks for any info or help the second picture is the one I'm talking about ...if you look on the top pipe you'll see on right side a vent pipe ..thanks. Angelny911at aol.com
Old 09-28-2016, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
It might help

LMFT4U...

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 09-28-2016, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks for the fix JJ 911 SC. It looked normal in my tablet. Anyway..,

AngelNY911 the pipe in your picture next to the MSD replaces the elbow I am pointing at. The large round component of that same part replaces the rubber hat that the elbow is connected to in my pic.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
Thanks for the fix JJ 911 SC. It looked normal in my tablet...
They always do but the fix is to open them, rotate 360 degrees and save them, then post.

I'm following your thread as I got a 3.2 SOK kit that sooner are later will be installed.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 09-28-2016, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I like the idea of these kits. maybe someday...gotta get a motor first though
Old 09-28-2016, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

JJ. Do it. The supercharger definitely wakes these motors up. Particularly the 3.2.

AngelNY911 I sent you an email.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

thanks to all replies
18 Chevy Colorado diesel
BIG RED Firetruck and assorted v-dub ,porsche parts hoarder..LoL
Old 09-29-2016, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

anyone know of adding an intercooler to this setup to cool incoming air ..see a couple of inexpensive unit on e-bay
18 Chevy Colorado diesel
BIG RED Firetruck and assorted v-dub ,porsche parts hoarder..LoL
Old 10-06-2016, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

If you have the room under the decklid it's probably a good idea. I think methanol/water injection is a good idea too.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Intercooler with a Paxton unit is counter-productive. That unit will only put out around 6 maybe 7 psi max, so with an intercooler, even a very small one you will end up with 3-4. What needs a cooler is the unit itself. It is self contained using only Ford type F transmission fluid to cool it. There is a small cooler that requires an electric pump to run the fluid through the cooler. If you plan on driving a lot this is mandatory. Without the oil cooler, the unit will get extremely hot and I have seen some seize up due to overheating. This is one of the drawbacks of a self contained unit. You also have to change the fluid on a regular basis. The oil cooler is very effective though. The company below bought the Paxton SN2000 line. He repairs them and sells the oil cooler kit.

http://paradisewheels.biz/power/superchargers/

1976 RSR Backdate (Turbo 3.2)

Last edited by Rodsrsr; 10-06-2016 at 11:21 AM..
Old 10-06-2016, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
anyone know of adding an intercooler to this setup to cool incoming air ..see a couple of inexpensive unit on e-bay
Use a water-to-air. Flow very well while being in a very small package.

Drawback is extra weight and plumbing over an air-to-air unit and additional cost.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rodsrsr. I have a unit with oil cooler and pump so then I'm fine ...just thought if air was cooler going lower temps
Old 10-06-2016, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Although some may disagree, I have had my setup for 15years. I have spoken to Paxton folks and SOK folks and both say that an intercooler is a waste of money and will not help with the Low boost of the Paxton sc. the whipper is a different animal. No cooler needed for the Paxton. I have been advised to use the oil cooler for the Paxton to extend it life between rebuilds.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: