Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Oil leak from a New Build what to do??

Hey everyone, I just had the engine rebuilt, however there is a leak dead center of engine block .I do not want to deal with the guy as he refused & told me it is not his problem!
I will out him later, for now need help in stopping leaky engine please help
thanks

Alex
Old 09-25-2016, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
He rebuilt the engine and then said the leak was not his problem, sounds like attorney time.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
These cars of ours can and will leak from lots of places, maybe 10 or 15 different places. Not to state the obvious, but you need to find out where it's leaking from. First thing I'd check is your oil level in the oil reservoir . Could be as simple as an overfill after rebuild. Lots of leaky spots will put oil on the bottom of the case.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
non-whiner

Post up some pictures.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
thanks guys having been there many times, have had this car since 1990
the leak is coming from engine block bad gasket or seal is there a way to do this without taking the engine apart? as you guys know $500-800 just to take out engine
then 40-50 hours of pic's coming right up

Alex
Old 09-30-2016, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
930 oil leak from a new build

930 new build oil leak, new build, YES to a Lawyer

I did try with a glue in between the bottom of the block chain covers

please help stop this leak

Alex
Old 09-30-2016, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I had a similar issue when the shop apprentice set the timing wrong causing detonation blowing out the base gaskets and destroying many rings. Fortunately I'm in really good terms with the shop owner who let me redo my engine with advice from the chief mechanic. I would sue the shop owner but negotiate for shop half shop time you pick up the parts. Anyone can drop a 930 motor in 30minutes. It can be stripped in a couple of hours. Those quoted prices a bit high imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2016, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Oh man that sucks. I can't quite identify where the leak is on the engine. If it is from the case parting line there is no gasket there. Only a sealant is used on the case parting line.

Uwon a member here had a similar problem and if my eyes are right it appears to be from the same spot, though yours appears worse. Here is a thread he did in the subject.

New Build Oil Leak Grrrr.....

If I can do anything to help out let me know.

Rich
Old 09-30-2016, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

When you had your engine rebuilt did they split the case,or was it a top end rebuild.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2016, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
split the case all out rebuild, thanks guys and gals

Alex
Old 10-01-2016, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Wow that is one bad ass looking car.. sorry to hear about your oil leak woes. Like others have said- first you have to find the leak. What kind of jack ass rebuilder tells you a leak on a brand new build is your fault? That stinks.

IF it is actually leaking from where the chain housing seals to the case, maybe you could pop the chain box cover off and really clean the dickens out of where that gasket mates in between the box and the case and cover it up with some JB weld (or loctite hysol.. slightly more Porsche kosher because you can't get it at Pep Boys?) and seal it from the inside.

But I looks like you already tried sealing it from the outside so maybe that' not the source of the leak.. maybe the leak is nearby but you see it there because its the lowest point on the engine in that vicinity. Keep poking around and let us know what you find.. hopefully its something trivial! could be any number of things in that area.. chain tensioner oil lines, cam spraybar feed fitting, oil pressure sender, ims shaft cover plate.. etc. Heck maybe its leaking past the threads on those nuts there.. they don't look like nylocks.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Anyone who uses that much goop on a rebuild shouldn't be rebuilding anything...
Old 10-04-2016, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex973 View Post
split the case all out rebuild, thanks guys and gals
Did you have them replace the Nose bearing or #8? I did a split case rebuild on my engine about a year ago and sourced a Nose bearing from an aftermarket supplier (BAD IDEAD!!!) My engine left some drips the first time it ran. I ended up taking the engine back apart and replacing the nose bearing with a Porsche part and all is well. I did measure the seat where the gasket fits into the bearing and there was a very noticeable difference between the aftermarket and Porsche. Wish I had spent the extra $200 at the time.

I wanted to avoid another "rebuild" and found some information on a "fix" before going back in. Here is a link to one of the solutions I was considering. I also found a guy Henry Schmidt at Supertech Performance 760-728-3062 makes a kit. If this happens to be where your leak is coming from.

Good Luck!!

Tom Amon showed up at my house with new gadget!!
Old 10-04-2016, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
There is no replacement for correct assembly of the case with regard to nose bearing. My engine is an example of this. Leaks and will not correct without respliting the case. Tried everything.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

I'm having trouble working out where that leak is coming from. It would be worth identifying that first - especially before an engine out job - or else same problem may surface.
Clean that gunk off and spend some time watching it. If it is the chain case, a relatively easy fix and engine can stay in place. But you will need to work out why it is leaking where it is. You can check the chain case cover is true/straight, if that is the place. They normally can seal with just a gasket and no gunk on the gasket. You could also try your way around the nuts on the housing and make sure they nipped them all down - you never know.
Let us know what you find.
Alan

83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 10-04-2016, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: