Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Gas pedal excessive play

I noticed today that my gas pedal felt a little different, so I looked at the pedal and this is what I saw. Lots of play in the cable. Moving the linkage at the throttle body side it snaps immediately back fully closed and the throttle is completely closed the entire time I am moving the pedal, so it isn't hung up, and the spring must be working. It isn't binding at all, as it is easy to move back and forth. So what is in between the pedal and throttle linkage that can cause this? I will jack up the car and look at where it goes past the transmission and into the engine bay later tonight, but if I have an idea in advance what the issue is, it would help.

thoughts?

Old 10-05-2016, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hi Jeff,

IIRC...There is a long rod with a loop at one end (trans end) and a ball socket at the other end. The ball socket snaps onto the throttle plate on the engine. Usually these are threaded on and can be adjusted by threading the ball socket in or out. Also as shown in your video there is a ball socket on the end of the cable from the shifter tunnel attached to the pivot at the base of the gas pedal. This ball socket can be adjusted too. To test linkage play depress gas pedal to the floor and check that there is no extra play in the linkage an the throttle body.

Hope this helps,

Rahl
Old 10-05-2016, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
CPT KAOS

Garage
I bet the bushings are FUBAR. Check them out. Easy to just do them. Just happend to me
Erik- RGruppe #743
Sports Purpose Garage
CPTKAOS 313HP/265TQ(wheels)2150#
Old 10-05-2016, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Erik, I rebuilt the pedal cluster, including replacing the bushings two winters ago, so they are fine, I just looked to make sure. But you are correct that bad bushings can cause play if that shaft can move back and forth. (Teed that one up for you Ronnie!)

Rahl, I think that's all it is. The linkage from the pedal to the pivot that is mount on the Trans looks to be too long. So I will shorten it up with the available adjustments and go from there.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-05-2016, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Adjusted the ball socket by the pedal and by the Trans mounted pivot and was able to remove the slack. Easy peasy.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2016, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff NJ View Post
. . . if that shaft can move back and forth. (Teed that one up for you Ronnie!)
Some peeps have more shaft movement than others do!

Old 10-05-2016, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: