Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
E85

Has anyone put together a list of all the goodies needed to go to E85?

Old 10-07-2016, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I don't have a list, but will be checking in to see what it takes.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I am running E85. Been running my set up for close to a year. Still using stock fuel lines, El cheapo fuel pump from ********. 60lb/hr fuel injectors, almost maxed out. Flex fuel sensor from a junked ford Ranger. Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator.
You would definitely want to run with a flex fuel sensor. When i fill up, its usually somewhere between 65% and 80% from the same gas station. I am just using the flex fuel setting on my megasquirt. it takes the ethanol percentage, and adjusts your fuel up or down based on that percentage. Some people have said you have to run 2 different tables and the flex fuel sensor interpolates between the 2 tables, but i do not have mine set up that way, and have had no problems. I actually ran a tank of 93 through it the other day, and no problems with it backing the fuel requirements down.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Juan, how much power you looking to make?
There are levels at which the chassis lines are maxed out, stock pumps are maxed out, etc.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 10-07-2016, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Beware of water in bad batches of pump stations if the gas station is not a popular one the tank absorbs water in it. Dont know how much in worst case but I would use a station that has good reputation. Most flex sensors read water as alcohol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XEPJo1FN32k.

E85 is also very silent when engine starts to go beyond optimum timing so knock controllers dont work as well as with gasoline.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Juan, how much power you looking to make?
There are levels at which the chassis lines are maxed out, stock pumps are maxed out, etc.

Hi Chris, currently I'm at 720rwhp @ 32psi of boost, My main concern all along has been the inconsistency of the E85 fuel but the more I talk to the street guys the more they assured me that I can make more power with this fuel, My goal is the 900 hp neighborhood, even if I have to change the turbo. Im running 85 injectors/automotive 1000 fuel pump, stock fuel rails and I believe fuel lines to the tank are #8 and #6.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
Beware of water in bad batches of pump stations if the gas station is not a popular one the tank absorbs water in it. Dont know how much in worst case but I would use a station that has good reputation. Most flex sensors read water as alcohol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XEPJo1FN32k.

E85 is also very silent when engine starts to go beyond optimum timing so knock controllers dont work as well as with gasoline.
And this is EXACTLY why it has taken me so long to make a decision and Im still on the fence
Old 10-08-2016, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Here we go again.........
720HP + 4% HP gain = 28HP which equals 748HP on E85....
720HP + 7% HP gain = 50HP which equals 770HP on REAL alcohol Methanol
The HP gains is not what is the main benefit of running alcohol, it is the reduction in risk of detonation. And that is if you actually have any issues with detonation. But as far as race fuel and specifically the biggest benefit is consistency. Running Methanol, the performance doesn't change as drastically as gas. The heat doesn't affect it as much nor does the change in barometric pressure. Because of this it is why many racers use it so their cars stay more consistent through out the event. If one were to look for every advantage to run Bracket ET, then Methanol is the way to go because being consistent and not breaking out is the name of the game in drag racing, NOT making more power. Is running Methanol on the street realistic? NO
Does running E85 make more HP? Typically 4% increase in HP but making HP is not the benifit of running E85.
It is cheap in comparison the Methanol AND Race fuels.
If you have concerns with your engine combination detonating and or are experiencing detonation a change in your combination is required. OR changing to E85 will aid in the reduction detonation.
Changing your combination.......
The addition of twin plug will allow you to run 8 degrees less timing at the same performance. HELLO?
If your current boost threshold over heats your charge temps then a larger compressor or twins would help reduce charge temps. Higher charge temps = more risk of detonation.
As far as more power if 4% is good enough for you then go for it, but is is not the way to simply make more HP.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJF View Post
Here we go again.........
720HP + 4% HP gain = 28HP which equals 748HP on E85....
720HP + 7% HP gain = 50HP which equals 770HP on REAL alcohol Methanol
The HP gains is not what is the main benefit of running alcohol, it is the reduction in risk of detonation. And that is if you actually have any issues with detonation. But as far as race fuel and specifically the biggest benefit is consistency. Running Methanol, the performance doesn't change as drastically as gas. The heat doesn't affect it as much nor does the change in barometric pressure. Because of this it is why many racers use it so their cars stay more consistent through out the event. If one were to look for every advantage to run Bracket ET, then Methanol is the way to go because being consistent and not breaking out is the name of the game in drag racing, NOT making more power. Is running Methanol on the street realistic? NO
Does running E85 make more HP? Typically 4% increase in HP but making HP is not the benifit of running E85.
It is cheap in comparison the Methanol AND Race fuels.
If you have concerns with your engine combination detonating and or are experiencing detonation a change in your combination is required. OR changing to E85 will aid in the reduction detonation.
Changing your combination.......
The addition of twin plug will allow you to run 8 degrees less timing at the same performance. HELLO?
If your current boost threshold over heats your charge temps then a larger compressor or twins would help reduce charge temps. Higher charge temps = more risk of detonation.
As far as more power if 4% is good enough for you then go for it, but is is not the way to simply make more HP.
Dang! Talk about reality check 101. Well thank you Sir!
Old 10-08-2016, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Turbofrog

More power can be had if there is room for a lot of more boost or flow but it seems Juan is already at the upper end of what can be done or are there any limits with our engines with stout parts and flamerings?
Old 10-08-2016, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Flame rings...... let's talk briefly about them.... let's say you are at the upper threshold of your tune. Now let's say you are a little too aggressive with your timing and you lift a head. Remember, everything does not stay perminantly fixed. Yes the case and even the studs do have elasticity. What do you think happens? Compression loss. The flame ring would only defuse the cylinder charge hence the name flame ring. The head is going to dance regardless if there is a ring or not. The loss of power is going to happen regardless. A trued cylinder seating surface lapped to a fresh head to cylinder surface is far better than flame rings due to the larger area not being taken up by the flame rings. This is where the tune becomes the most important factor.

Last edited by GJF; 10-08-2016 at 08:00 PM..
Old 10-08-2016, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Speaking of alcohol, I decided to head up to Orlando for a break from all this hurricane stress. Cheers Brothers
Old 10-08-2016, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I am only familiar with e85 in more modern fuel injected cars, not so much in our cars. I know that my Lancer Evolution has two different maps for both e85 and 93, made 872 with corn fuel and 650 on 93,(44psi and 33psi respectively precision 6466, haltech elite ecu). I don't know what the capability of a 930 with adequate software, injectors, pumps, etc could be. Does aem or haltech offer a standalone for the 930? I've never looked into this, as I'm fine with the cis system in my car(bl wur, euro car spec, running 110/93 mixture). Can e85 be ran with cis?
Old 10-08-2016, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

You can run any ECU brand you want on a 930.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Kremer930 View Post
I am only familiar with e85 in more modern fuel injected cars, not so much in our cars. I know that my Lancer Evolution has two different maps for both e85 and 93, made 872 with corn fuel and 650 on 93,(44psi and 33psi respectively precision 6466, haltech elite ecu). I don't know what the capability of a 930 with adequate software, injectors, pumps, etc could be. Does aem or haltech offer a standalone for the 930? I've never looked into this, as I'm fine with the cis system in my car(bl wur, euro car spec, running 110/93 mixture). Can e85 be ran with cis?
There are no "plug and play" ECUs for these cars. Once you decide to go EFI, you have to customize everything, all the way down to a wiring harness. I have friends that are running AEM infinity EFI computer on their single turbo Supras, and they are plug and play, meaning you just plug the factory harness into the AEM unit, and all the factory sensors are used. I guess if it were that simple on a 930, everyone would have converted to EFI by now.

I would not think it would be possible to run e85 on CIS, unless you set up some kind of additional injector setup. I believe it takes around 42% more fuel to run E85 over gasoline. I don't think it's possible for the CIS injector to inject that much more fuel

Last edited by scottrx7tt; 10-08-2016 at 07:42 PM..
Old 10-08-2016, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Fuel distributor goes bad with e85 so do not even try.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks for posting that Jim. My FD has been sitting so long unused I'd be foolish not to rebuild it.
I'm guessing any and all soft fuel lines would have to be replaced before running straight corn juice.
Although probably a really good idea regardless, considering there age and the crap gas we get on the west coast. Mmm....
Old 10-09-2016, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Hey!!! What happened to Jim's post?
Old 10-09-2016, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Wow! I guess the mods didn't like the link he posted. I dont think PP sells rebuild kits for Bosch FDs.
If not, I don't see the issue.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Turbofrog

That was strange, but maybe Jim took it out him self as there should be some explanation if mods did it? Alcohol tolerable rebuild kit is good info that should be posted if the info was correct.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: