Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Head studs, again.....

Head studs are the last big ticket item on the buy list for my top end rebuild. I was saving my pennies for ARPs but, I incorrectly assumed I had the stock Divlars. It seems as though I have 993 studs but I wanted to verify with you-all.
They're non ferrous, coated black and fully threaded.
I also want to get some opinions on reusing them. If I'm not mistaken Tippy reused his with no reported issues. And he's running more HP and boost than I will be. At least in the near future
I do have some good oil seepage (differant than the oil Ronnie's studs use )
at the base of the cylinders so, this as well as the unkown age of the studs concerns me. Money is pretty tight for me but I wanna get this right.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

pKABOOMbush, if it were mine, I would consider that lil' discovery as an "early Christmas" situation, considering that some builders (Steve Weirner - not sure if I spelled that right) say that the 993TT are the best of the best.

I think the only way to help prevent the seepage that you describe is to lightly coat the base gaskets (aka, cylinder shims) with a metal-to-metal, non hardening sealer like Yamabond or Permetex Aviation gasket maker (the brush on, brown goo). This is common practice with aircooled jugs (including aircraft), though you seldom see it recommended by the original manufacturers.

Regarding the other seepage you've got going on, I think that either a large plug, and/or thick diaper is called for, Bro!!!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 10-11-2016 at 03:56 PM..
Old 10-11-2016, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

That's them. Sounds like you got an early gift as I did.

Yes, no problems and I reused mine. I left them in the case during cleaning.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

mine are race ware studs not as good probably as supertech, or arp studs but certainly better than stock and less expensive that the above meantioned types.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 10-11-2016, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Nice!!!
I had to sacrifice one in order to get the hex nut off but it sure beats having to replace the lot.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: