Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Is my fan still safe to use

Hello everyone, I am new as far as posting goes but I have been reading your forum for years and it has been a great resource for me! I finally decided to tackle my alternator and white attempting to separate the fan from the alternator I inadvertently hit the wrong end with a piece of wood and hammer. The damage looks bad but the fan spins freely by hand but not sure at normal operating speeds and dont want to do any further damage. Is this fan safe to use? Thx inadvance

Old 10-17-2016, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That looks like some significant damage to me. I don't see how it could possibly be that effective with balance and metal fatigue raising their ugly faces. I'd spring for a new one. I doubt it would take long for it to fail catastrophically under normal driving conditions.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Does anyone know if these magnesium fans are repairable?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Do not use that fan. It is going to come apart and when it does it will scatter, damage to the car...you or anyone else near the parts flying off. Mag fans are not repairable. Mag doesn't weld easily and to be honest that fan has come to an end of its useful life. The cost of buying a new one is far less than repairing what damage it could cause.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

NO.
Get a new one.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

That is now ready to become wall art.
Get a new fan.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 10-17-2016, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I'm tracking thanks for the responses..feel like an idiot, rookie mistake..
Old 10-17-2016, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have one like that too if you want another one for stereo wall art.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Mine doesn't have the custom grey paint though.
The swollen cracks are from magnesium corrosion. Looks like it started from the inside.
Couldn't find a used one for sale so I got a cast aluminum one from the place in miami that starts with V

Old 10-17-2016, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Try Tom's Rennshop....on here as Tom1394Racing...good man for used engine parts. No affiliation but lots of positive experience. John in CT.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I recently bought a new one from Suncoast Porsche in Oregon. A number of shops had new oem ones listed for $340-380. Most actually didn't have them, and few stated the price had gone up to $440-$480. Confirm before you order. I personally wouldn't buy a used one, just my 02.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I ended up buying a new one on eBay for $450....ouch, expensive lesson. I'll go slower next project. Thx eeveryone.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Don't sweat it bro, I break 2 things for every 1 thing I fix, it's all part of it... I think!
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 10-19-2016, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Im still not out of the woods yet! I ended up only having 4 shims had to buy 2 others and really haven't figured out the configuration yet......it seems tightening these belts is pretty subjective, 1/4 to 1/2 inch deflection? I figure ill ask before I screw up again, lol....thx
Old 10-19-2016, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Don't follow my advise, but my fan is far worse and has been that way forever.

It always get redlined when I drive.

I did stop drill the cracks though.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Driving with a fan like that doesn't make sense and they aren't so expensive that it's worth taking the risk of it flying apart.
Air cooled aluminum case motors expand more than most cast iron block water cooled motors so fan belt deflection tightens up noticeably when the motor is hot.

Quarter to half inch deflection sounds about right for a cold motor but the feel of that is subjective so different people may judge it a little differently.
Too tight and you wear out alternator bearings faster and maybe put a little more upward lateral pressure on the crankshaft nose bearing and too loose the fan belt may slip or vibrate on the slack side when the headlights or AC fans are on.
Old dried out fan belts can feel stiff compared to one made recently and some of them hanging on auto repair shop walls or whatever may have been there a long time.
I would rather it was a little on the loose side than too tight. It may feel a little loose on a cold motor and feel just right when the motor is hot.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thx JF..definitely a learning curve here. Appreciate your help!

Old 10-20-2016, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: