Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

whirling noise

So I have an odd noise out of my motor. It is more like a whistle or whirling noise. I started hearing it at certain rpms when I would get on the gas, and could actually reproduce it by hitting the throttle just right. The other day when I started it up and had it idling, I heard it, so I grabbed my phone and recorded it below.
With the lid up, it sounds like it is coming from the right side. I am thinking either inside the fan/alternator, or the AC compressor (AC was off) or something on the top of the motor. It doesn't sound like its coming from inside the motor.

Anyone know what the pitched sound on this clip is?

Old 10-24-2016, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Jeff, that sounds to me like the noise the engine fan always makes - sometimes more audible depending on air temperature and such (the different ways the fan blades move the air due to temperature, humidity, etc).

If it is a new sound, then I don't know what to make of it, as I always hear the noise that is in the video (not talking about when in the privacy of my home, either, and ****, so stop thinking nasty!).
Old 10-24-2016, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks Ronnie. It typically is not there and I don't think the recording captured the loudness of the whirl over the engine and exhaust noise. I am going to try to capture it from inside the cabin while driving without driving off the road and killing myself. It doesn't sound horrible, but it is annoying.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sounds like something with the alternator. It's easy to remove the belt then start the motor and see if the noise is gone.
Or it's that moth with glowing eyes in your garage.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Haha Jim! I still laugh every time I watch that video.

That's a good idea to remove the belt(s) and see if the AC or alternator are the issue. it is intermittent at idle though, so it may be difficult to catch.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yeah AC clutch bearings could make noise if the AC is off and they don't wanna work there anymore. Turn AC on, noise go away maybe?
Old 10-24-2016, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I try turning on the AC when I hear the noise first. Easy to test. Then I'll try both belts. Thanks!

Old 10-24-2016, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: