Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Tachno needle jumping with turn signal

Gents,

I am hoping there is a simple answer to this issue i am having.
When i have my lights on and a turn signal is working the tacho needle moves in sympathy with the green turn light on the tacho instrument. ( can move full scale)
If the hazard warning light are switched on the needle is stable.
I only get the fluctuations with the combination of turn signal and lights on. Any other combination of heater, lights etc is fine , Engine RPM does not make a difference.

I was thinking i have an alternator issue but i do not understand why the tacho needle does not jump when the hazard lights are switched on. It sounds like the turn signal and hazard lights use the same flasher relay. Do i have a ground issue on the turn signals or is this the Alternator issue. The voltage is a bit low at 13.8 volts at idle.
Just want to eliminate wiring before pulling the alternator out.

Thanks

Tim

Old 11-10-2016, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
I would start by checking all the grounds for corrosion and cleaning them. The Light is searching for a way to complete the circuit and finding it through the tach.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the quick response. Will look at the grounds first. Anyone have any idea where ground studs are. Mine is an 88 Targa, I believe there is a ground stud on the left side of the car adjacent to the suspension tower, would this be the correct one?
Old 11-10-2016, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
There should be ground points local to each turn signal corner. Following the wiring back a little bit, it should reveal a single wire exiting the loom and attached to a blank stud on the body. Like Derrick suggested, they're most likely not making good contact. Simply remove the wire terminal, clean or lightly sand and reconnect. Repeat for all if necessary. It's a common issue. <--- like that pun I used there?

Last edited by flat6pilot; 11-10-2016 at 01:30 PM..
Old 11-10-2016, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ Ba-Dump, Crash...
Old 11-10-2016, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
A down to Earth comment!!

Thanks for the advice

Tim
Old 11-10-2016, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Any reason why this does not happen with the hazards in operation? Same lights flashing but does not cause the issue.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timspu View Post
A down to Earth comment!!

Thanks for the advice

Tim
Use caution when saying "down" in the presence of DeezNutzDerrick; he's got that move down pat!!!

Old 11-10-2016, 11:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Shhh... I like that to be a surprise.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

+1 on the ground issue, my bet is you'll find some corrosion in the light housing areas too.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
But why does it not happen with hazards on?
Hopefully will dig into it this weekend. Was thinking an issue with ground stud G116. Will also have a look at indicator grounds at the lights themselves.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: