Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Modded 930 Ruf

Quote:
Originally Posted by berponte View Post
Definition from Urban Dictionary

Riced Out:

Commonly used to refer to poorly modified Hondas and/or other imports.

The common characteristics are neon lights all over the vehicle including the rims, under the body, inside the car, and maybe even on the loser driving it. Another characteristic is an exhaust that sounds like a weed whacker.

The driver of the rice bucket usually thinks his car is tricked out to the max, but really all the people looking at it are laughing not admiring.

Hmm...and...After, I have read everyone's comments, I am thinking, ""but, ...Still, it is a 930...!!". and for some of us it has "persona". Wouldn't mind driving it, even if people are laughing !!!...Ill just get a momo prototipo via amazon prime.

Funny thing is after looking at the Ruf catalog above there is no rice on this 930 mechanically or body wise. All the parts appear to be genuine Ruf. Except for a few of the interior parts that a ricer might have added.

Last edited by 93097004xx; 11-21-2016 at 12:09 PM..
Old 11-21-2016, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93097004xx View Post
Here is the official Ruf catalog.

80’s Ruf Brochure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great link, thanks
Old 11-21-2016, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
So what is so "riced out" about it? the steering wheel, shift knob and the badges on the interior door handles? the seats are Recaro' LSC(period correct)..other than that, the rest seems fine. I see no chrome, leopard prints, funky color seat patterns..etc..etc.. The owner did say the engine will need an overhaul but other than that the car looks great. The negative comments are a bit much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
I think the car looks great and regarding the comment on the interior the seats are the very expensive and rare Recaros (I forget the exact model number / name).
Calling the car "riced out" is harsh and unnecessary.

Agreed, the car looks fantastic inside and out and a real tribute to the Miami Vice era that all 1980's 930s owe a major allegiance to; I don't see any "ricer" element at all.

It's a well know fact that Mr. Dos Equis hits the pipe long and hard, but it appears that Mr. HamSammich930Tewl has taken a few pulls, too!
Old 11-21-2016, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93097004xx View Post
Here is the official Ruf catalog.

80’s Ruf Brochure
OK, I was dead wrong about the steering wheel! It's good to learn something new.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
It's just my opinion. It's fine. The RUF stickers on the gauges are a little loud. The non-RUF steering wheel (don't know which one is actually on the car?), the porsche crests on the door pulls and seats, The Andial badge on the speedometer. It just adds up to some Uncle Ben's in my book. The various RUF stickers on the body in places they clearly don't belong? Come on....

The good news thought? That's all aesthetic stuff that can easily be handled.

And I will say... I'm not personally a fan of the slant, but this car in white looks really awesome as a slant.

- Chris.

Last edited by Hams930T; 11-21-2016 at 08:37 PM..
Old 11-21-2016, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Good point about the stickers, badges, etc. (same to you, Dos Equis), butt I would call that more cheese than rice!

And let me telt ye', I sometimes fantasize about converting my Crockett and Tubbs machine to a Slant (for real) - looks supper boss in white!
Old 11-21-2016, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hams930T View Post
And an Andial speedometer...

- Chris.
yes as offered by Andial back in the 80's.. My car has/had the Tach, Speedometer and the the boost gauge that the previous owner purchased from Andial...with their logo on it.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
yes as offered by Andial back in the 80's.. My car has/had the Tach, Speedometer and the the boost gauge that the previous owner purchased from Andial...with their logo on it.
Nice!
Old 11-22-2016, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice looking car, but it did have some tacky stuff done to it cosmaticly. Porsche emblem on the door panels, big Ruf logo's every where, stupid shift knob, etc.
The engine has that 'boy racer red' paint on it and a power robbing K&N instead of the Ruf airfilter.
And some other non Ruf muffler, if the car had the Ruf engine treatment before it is to bad some obvious things are missing now and does not inspire confidence with me.
Still all in all a nice car that could be had much cheaper than a stock car. So for those that want to modify any way this would not be a bad start.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
Nice looking car, but it did have some tacky stuff done to it cosmaticly. Porsche emblem on the door panels, big Ruf logo's every where, stupid shift knob, etc.
The engine has that 'boy racer red' paint on it and a power robbing K&N instead of the Ruf airfilter.
And some other non Ruf muffler, if the car had the Ruf engine treatment before it is to bad some obvious things are missing now and does not inspire confidence with me.
Still all in all a nice car that could be had much cheaper than a stock car. So for those that want to modify any way this would not be a bad start.
All good points.

The downside marks for the car really are just aesthetic/cosmetic issues that could be easily resolved. It would be a good project car for someone to buy and clean up.

I personally love that it's white with black interior. If I didn't have a 930 that I've invested in so heavily, I would consider it as a good candidate to fix up and build.

Chris.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Cosmatics are SO important.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_D View Post
Cosmatics are SO important.
Sad but true.

But on this car these are more than cosmetics, besides it having Ruf engine hot rod parts missing and signs of 'amateur hour' work.
People who have to advertise their car is a Ruf with big stickers on the instruments makes me start questioning how much of it still is a Ruf?
So a lot of these small cosmetic cues are flags.

But these points will all work in favor of the buyer to be able to buy a good platform for a nice hot rod 930 for below market.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Isn't there some registry - or maybe some records from Ruf - that will tell you emphatically whether or not this is one of their cars? I'd think they'd have records to the effect.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Isn't there some registry - or maybe some records from Ruf - that will tell you emphatically whether or not this is one of their cars? I'd think they'd have records to the effect.
Yes.
But the owner of the car has documents to that effect and says so in the ad. So I have no doubt it left Ruf with Ruf mods.
but now how much is left that is Ruf? we can see it lost the intake and exhaust from Ruf. So what is left that is Ruf? besides some Ruf cosmetics and the intercooler? Is the Turbo still a Ruf? the P&C'c cams??
Has the engine been blown up a few times with over enthusiastic owners adjusting the "dial of death" boost controller?
Old 11-22-2016, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

I think that's more the buyer's business than ours.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
As noted above, there are RUF cars, which are very rare and command extremely high prices. They were given the full treatment by the folks in Germany. They have added RUF serial numbers and are easy to identify.

But RUF, as they continue to do today, also offers parts "a la carte," which any shop or individual can install themselves. My car had a bunch of mods done to it in the late 80s by PM Motorsport in Sacramento (the same place that tragically burned to the ground in 2014), including RUF and Andial aftermarket parts.

The eBay car is almost certainly not in category #1, or the seller would have put that documentation front and center.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Well that answers the question then doesn't it? Our XXpurt likes aftermarket bling.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
I think that's more the buyer's business than ours.
I guess I thought this was 'Marketplace thread'
Old 11-22-2016, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Wonder what it sold for??

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2016, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ruf create complete cars with Ruf components.
They order their chassis directly from Porsche and complete them to their own specs adding their own VIN
These cars are not Porsche cars, but RUF cars

They will also take in owners new or used cars and modify them to any custom level the owner requests.
These cars are RUF modified Porsche cars and retain their Porsche VIN

Or you can also buy, via catalogue or privately from a 3rd source, new RUF parts to modify your cars yourself

No one can doubt or carry much weight in their argument, that RUF cars are worth less than Porsche cars (as evident by the market place)

That said, RUF modified cars using genuine RUF parts might also be considered 'improved Porsche cars', being that they are using performance enhancing parts designed and made by a quality car manufacturer and modifier.

The perceived or argued increase or decrease in value of a RUF modified Porsche can be debated 'until the cows come in' - but their value is exactly what the buyer pays at the time of sale!

Classic cars are nearly always improved in value by their originality and depreciate with any modifications despite their performance gain potential.

My car has genuine and non genuine RUF parts, but I will eventually sell it with all of the original parts (which I have in storage) in case the new owner wants to return it back to 'original state'.

Me, I prefer the lightweight RUF look and the improved handling and will enjoy her as such in the meantime.

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!'

1987 930 - sold 2018
1984 Carrera 3.2 RSR look
Old 11-24-2016, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: