Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
MS3 Pro mounted
Old 06-07-2017, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #181 (permalink)

Garage
Wiring up injectors. Getting closer.
While I was in there decided to paint valve covers and intake manifold.

Last edited by jpilcher; 06-10-2017 at 05:51 PM..
Old 06-10-2017, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #182 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Exciting stuff
Old 06-10-2017, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #183 (permalink)

Garage
Intake manifold primed ready for paint. I decided to use a flat black header paint.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #184 (permalink)

Garage
Valve cover in black krinkle finish
Old 06-11-2017, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #185 (permalink)

Garage
Knock sensor. Located behind oil chimney.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #186 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage

Intake manifold re-installed. Hoping to get start on running wiring tomorrow night.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #187 (permalink)

Garage
Rear bumper off getting to swap out pulley.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #188 (permalink)

Garage
What is best way to prevent engine from turning when trying to remove crank pulley nut?
Old 06-12-2017, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #189 (permalink)

I've done mine with a electric impact, car in gear, loosing's so quickly it doesn't turn engine over.
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8 dual/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LC-1/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin plug coil packs/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. SDS EFI tuning always in progress. 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 06-12-2017, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #190 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Phillip
Old 06-12-2017, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #191 (permalink)

How do you tune the knock sensor?
Old 06-12-2017, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #192 (permalink)

Garage
My understanding is that there are 2 different modes for tuning the knock within MS3 Pro.
A safe mode , and aggressive mode.

I haven't got into the setup yet, but will probably attempt the safe mode until I become more familiar with the software. Basically with safe mode you specify the amount of ignition retard once knock is detected. The engine stays retarded until TPS or map is reduced. It is recommended for DIYers
Old 06-13-2017, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #193 (permalink)

Garage
What I did was record several data logs to monitor the knock levels for each cylinder. You will have to adjust the gains for each cylinder to get fairly equal knock levels. Then you can adjust the % threshold that will trigger a knock retard event based on where you see the levels going. I have not tried to induce knock to see what it looks like on a log. But I did get some readings over 70% when I hit overboost cutout which may have been knock when I was tuning EBC. So I have just left my threshold set at 50%. Some of the folks on Megasquirt forums have tried the second derivative of the knock frequency and have some success with it.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #194 (permalink)

Garage
Hi guys

Should have crank pulley off tonight. I have to remove front engine tin. Support the engine.
Remove engine mount bolts, then engine cross member along with engine support bracket to gain access to pulley.

I'll upload some pictures tonight.

Trying to determine position of cam sensor to crank sensor Z1. I plan on installing cam sensor at 12 o'clock on oil pump. I understand that crank should be on compression stroke. What would optimal degree rotation be from TDC, 270 degrees?

Thanks in advance

J
Old 06-14-2017, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #195 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpilcher View Post
Hi guys

Should have crank pulley off tonight. I have to remove front engine tin. Support the engine.
Remove engine mount bolts, then engine cross member along with engine support bracket to gain access to pulley.

I'll upload some pictures tonight.

Trying to determine position of cam sensor to crank sensor Z1. I plan on installing cam sensor at 12 o'clock on oil pump. I understand that crank should be on compression stroke. What would optimal degree rotation be from TDC, 270 degrees?

Thanks in advance

J
Maybe I missed it, but why would you need to do this? Is there not a setting in your ECU software that will determine this for you? In my ECU, it is called trigger offset value, and is easily shown while cranking the engine. Once the value is found, the ecu just adjusts itself to the value....

It is early in the morning, so I may be interpreting this info wrong..LOL
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 06-14-2017, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #196 (permalink)

Garage
I am really trying to determine cam sensor location on compression stroke, in relation to crank wheel Z1 location as shown on the wheel. No sure if Tunerstudio software has ability to adjust that.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #197 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
I am really trying to determine cam sensor location on compression stroke, in relation to crank wheel Z1 location as shown on the wheel. No sure if Tunerstudio software has ability to adjust that.
I know that when I got the cam pos sensor, bracket and related hardware from Clewett, there were instructions with it. And in those instructions http://www.clewett.com/instrux/cam-ins.pdf It stated that the electromotive stuff had to have it set at a certain place. Whereas, with my ECU, it does not matter.
Check to see if on your ECU software, it does not matter, saving you a bunch of time. Like I said, in my software it is called "trigger offset value". You should not be able to adjust it per se, but, there should be a box to put in the value. And it is read in Deg of 360.... Just fyi
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 06-14-2017, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #198 (permalink)

Quote:

There is no specific degree for the cam sensor. The ms3-pro just needs to see the cam signal right before the crank tdc on compression stroke to determine which injector to fire next.

I think there was a minimum degree amount mentioned in the ms3-pro manual. I think i set mine to around 30 degrees. I just counted the teeth on the crank pulley to get my degrees.

just find tdc with the crank on the compression stroke, the turn the engine backwards beyond the minimum amount that was called in the manual and set your cam pickup there.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #199 (permalink)

I did this just a few days ago using the Clewett cam sensor. While it is true that you can set the offset in software, having it about 90 degrees before Z1 is best. Otherwise during startup it may take another revolution to synchronize. What I did was the following.

My pulley has marks at Z1 and every 120 degrees. I put a piece of tape that covered Z1 and went up to 120 BTDC and marked these positions. I pulled the tape and linearly interpolated to mark 90 degrees very prominently and put the tape back in position. Then I rotated the engine to find which time around was the compression stroke. There are many ways to do this but for me I just removed the #1 spark plug and put the hose from a compression tester. You can clearly feel and hear the air come out in the compression stroke. I had wasted spark with no distributer.

Now it's easy to set the engine at 90 degrees BTDC. You can put your pick up there. For the Clewett there is a bolt that is drilled and tapped into the camshaft end.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #200 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: