Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Idle and cruise Ve is pretty much there. The lean spots I was experiencing are gone.
I have been struggling a little with boost maps. Transitioning into boost from cruise.
Just started on boost maps last night. Slowly leaning out the Ve map a load level at a time.
My boost map bins are still pretty rich, I am getting a bog into boost. Data log shows it rich.
Hoping to get some more tuning in this weekend. When running the VE Analyze what cell change do you set it to? Easy, Normal, Hard, or Very Hard
1988 Porsche 930 Targa - 3.4L Twin Plug Motor, DC 13 Cams, Supertec Head Studs, ARP Rod Bolts, Port and Polished Heads, Garretson Andial Intercooler, GSX 61 BB Stage 5Turbo, Tial F46 WG .8 Bar Spring, PowerHaus Headers, PowerHaus Dual Tip Muffler, MS3 Pro EFI conversion, 57lbs. Cobra Injectors, Center Force Stage 2 Clutch , Rebuilt 4 Speed with LSD.

Last edited by jpilcher; 07-26-2017 at 06:49 PM..
Old 07-26-2017, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #341 (permalink)

Garage
I just got the latency injector offset table for my injectors. Injectors offset is .92ms. What is best way to dial in the voltage offset for the injectors?
Should I Calibrate the Battery Voltage, between MS3 Pro and Injectors? What is the correct way to do this?

Last edited by jpilcher; 07-26-2017 at 06:38 PM..
Old 07-26-2017, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #342 (permalink)

Garage
Plan on adding fan activation relay for oil cooler this weekend.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #343 (permalink)

How's the tuning going John? Did you get on a dyno yet? Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8 dual/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LC-1/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin plug coil packs/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. SDS EFI tuning always in progress. 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 08-26-2017, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #344 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Phillip

Have not been to dyno yet. I have car dialled in very nicely. Autotune and Megalogviewer make the tuning process very easy. Idles quality is excellent. If you are thinking about doing Ms3 Pro, I would highly recommend it. Lot's of support on the Megasquirt Forums. Just want to give a big shout out to Dennis930 on Ms3 forums. He helped me immensely. I still have a couple of things to do.
Still have to add EBC module, and add relay for oil cooler.

Hoping to get to dyno in a couple of weeks. I will keep you informed.

Regards

John
1988 Porsche 930 Targa - 3.4L Twin Plug Motor, DC 13 Cams, Supertec Head Studs, ARP Rod Bolts, Port and Polished Heads, Garretson Andial Intercooler, GSX 61 BB Stage 5Turbo, Tial F46 WG .8 Bar Spring, PowerHaus Headers, PowerHaus Dual Tip Muffler, MS3 Pro EFI conversion, 57lbs. Cobra Injectors, Center Force Stage 2 Clutch , Rebuilt 4 Speed with LSD.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #345 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Jphn, if you think the MS forums are great, you should join the Facebook pages MegaSquirt Owners....... or MegaSquirt Addicts.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #346 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Tippy
Yes, I am on both. Very quick response.

Regards

John
Old 08-28-2017, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #347 (permalink)

Garage
John,

Glad to hear you got her dialed in. Now, I need to get busy with determining engine states for a 1.4.1 to 1.5.1 beta xx firmware update.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #348 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpilcher View Post
Hey Phillip

Have not been to dyno yet. I have car dialled in very nicely. Autotune and Megalogviewer make the tuning process very easy. Idles quality is excellent. If you are thinking about doing Ms3 Pro, I would highly recommend it. Lot's of support on the Megasquirt Forums. Just want to give a big shout out to Dennis930 on Ms3 forums. He helped me immensely. I still have a couple of things to do.
Still have to add EBC module, and add relay for oil cooler.

Hoping to get to dyno in a couple of weeks. I will keep you informed.

Regards

John
Hey John, after following your thread, I may just install MS3Pro as you have done! Good outline of your project here! It's clear to see I'm leaving a lot on the table with the EFI I'm running. I think I'm going to have to start gathering parts... keep us posted. Philip
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8 dual/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LC-1/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin plug coil packs/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. SDS EFI tuning always in progress. 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 08-28-2017, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #349 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Phillip

I believe you would gain a lot from your particular setup. The thing that impressed me the most was how smooth the idle is compared to the SDS system. Gas mileage is great as well.

John
Old 08-28-2017, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #350 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dap930 View Post
John,

Glad to hear you got her dialed in. Now, I need to get busy with determining engine states for a 1.4.1 to 1.5.1 beta xx firmware update.
Hey Dennis

I have been holding off as well. Have you come across any good threads on engine states?

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards

John
Old 08-28-2017, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #351 (permalink)
Turbofrog

I haven't got my setup running any better than it was with CIS+AIC1+digital distributor but then again it ran about perfectly before maybe even smoother. My only goal was to get more fuel for WOT and e85. So far fuel only for me but full sequential fuel and ignition by next summer.

Setting up and finding proper startup settings was painfull and the tunerstudio calculations very way too high so could not tell whats wrong. Same with cold start settings. It took time to get those decent.

I did switch to ms3 ignition maps (with tach out to MSD) for better resolution and it helped with off idle.

IMO the WUR cold start circuit is really good and simple setup with hand throttle.
79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, True split BB, 2*turbosmart38,
99 Audi S4: RS4 engine/E85/K24brids, KW3, Movit+RS6 discs
Old 08-29-2017, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #352 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
I haven't got my setup running any better than it was with CIS+AIC1+digital distributor but then again it ran about perfectly before maybe even smoother. My only goal was to get more fuel for WOT and e85. So far fuel only for me but full sequential fuel and ignition by next summer.

Setting up and finding proper startup settings was painfull and the tunerstudio calculations very way too high so could not tell whats wrong. Same with cold start settings. It took time to get those decent.

I did switch to ms3 ignition maps (with tach out to MSD) for better resolution and it helped with off idle.

IMO the WUR cold start circuit is really good and simple setup with hand throttle.
I think running sequential makes a big difference. Also having the correct settings for the injectors. PW and injector offsets.
I contacted vendor that I bought the injectors from, and they provided me with the specs.
I was able to dial in VE map using Autotune,
Car pulls great, no hesitation. Still need to play with AE.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #353 (permalink)

Garage
I was able to dial in my VE table with TS autotune except for the upper RPM, high load (boost) areas, which have to be done with multiple datalogs unless you do it on a dyno. I did not have good luck with autotune for WUE, I think these engine like being a little rich for this. But TS autotune is based on the AFR table that is present, so if your AFR table is not what it should be then the results may not be as good. And as John mentioned, your injector dead time needs to be dialed in.

Smurf is running E85 which could be more difficult to setup due to the cooling effect of the alcohol. I have no experience with it, perhaps someone who has experience can help him out.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #354 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpilcher View Post
I think running sequential makes a big difference. Also having the correct settings for the injectors. PW and injector offsets.
I contacted vendor that I bought the injectors from, and they provided me with the specs.
I was able to dial in VE map using Autotune,
Car pulls great, no hesitation. Still need to play with AE.
Sequential makes a HUGE difference. I just finally got my cam sensor hooked up and switched to sequential and I was amazed at the difference in idle quality right off the bat. Now idles rock steady at 14.7, where I had to drop it into the 11s with batch fire to get a steady idle.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #355 (permalink)
Turbofrog

I have my id1000 settings from ID, both deadtime and small pulse. It drives just fine but start ups are so and so. I go back and forth every other time. Same with veal and autotune but now I only use hard setting. First and second fight third and fourth. IMO CIS with AIC was much more stable but that was with high octane gas and wmi. I also installed a cherry hall for the cam but havent got time to dial it in or test it as my daily does not start anymore so I need to fix it (I think it might have other bank cam wheel jump one notch , maybe adjuster gave up) and use pcar as commuter which is not so nice in this state and traffic. Also the temps are getting colder so wue is on most of the 15 mile run. Semi hot start was very lean but I dont want to let wue go longer than 70 C. How hot do you guys run wue?
79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, True split BB, 2*turbosmart38,

Last edited by smurfbus; 08-29-2017 at 11:15 AM..
Old 08-29-2017, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #356 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

WUE is done by about 160F for me.

If your car isn't running, it's simply not tuned right. CIS cannot compare to EFI.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #357 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Just saying my CIS was perfect with the add ons I had. Rough fueling maps and timing maps and the help of wur for cold starts. And I bet some other guy woulf tell tha t my car runs really good as it is now but I want modern drivability good.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #358 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfbus View Post
I have my id1000 settings from ID, both deadtime and small pulse. It drives just fine but start ups are so and so. I go back and forth every other time. Same with veal and autotune but now I only use hard setting. First and second fight third and fourth. IMO CIS with AIC was much more stable but that was with high octane gas and wmi. I also installed a cherry hall for the cam but havent got time to dial it in or test it as my daily does not start anymore so I need to fix it (I think it might have other bank cam wheel jump one notch , maybe adjuster gave up) and use pcar as commuter which is not so nice in this state and traffic. Also the temps are getting colder so wue is on most of the 15 mile run. Semi hot start was very lean but I dont want to let wue go longer than 70 C. How hot do you guys run wue?
If your cam sensor is hooked up, you're a few clicks away from a noticeable improvement in driveability with sequential. Since you're running big injectors it will be an even more drastic improvement since your idle and low rpm pulsewidths will increase. I went from about 1.5ms pulse width to around 2.2 when I switched to sequential, which smoothed out idle a lot. Also, it sounds like you're still using the oil temp for warmup. I'm still using oil temp as well, though I have a turbokraft cht kit that I need to install. It works, but it is too slow for accurate warmup. Head temp is much better for air cooled engines.

EFI has the POTENTIAL to be 1000x better than CIS, but requires proper tuning and setup. It can be very time consuming to achieve modern day driveability.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #359 (permalink)
Turbofrog

I do have a head temp sensor jammed between fins behind cyl4 heater tin. I think e85 is just slower to heat the engine.

I know its going to get better step by step but speed density is just OKish for engine management.

I hope I can get gear dependant maps somehow later on. Or boost/gear like apexi avcr has from speed and revs.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #360 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: