Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What engine temperature sensor is best used with MS3 Pro? The GM Closed Element CLT Sensor? Is it best to locate this in the left or right cam cover?
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/gm-closed-element-clt-iat-sensor-with-connector/

Or would it be better to use a Cylinder Head Sensor,

http://www.*********************.com/Cylinder-Head-Temperature-Sensor-914-912E-70-76-p23355.html

Thanks

John
1988 Porsche 930 Targa - 3.4L Twin Plug Motor, DC 13 Cams, Supertec Head Studs, ARP Rod Bolts, Port and Polished Heads, Garretson Andial Intercooler, GSX 61 BB Stage 5Turbo, Tial F46 WG .8 Bar Spring, PowerHaus Headers, PowerHaus Dual Tip Muffler, MS3 Pro EFI conversion, 57lbs. Cobra Injectors, Center Force Stage 2 Clutch , Rebuilt 4 Speed with LSD.

Last edited by jpilcher; 11-27-2016 at 06:23 PM..
Old 11-27-2016, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I'm using a bosch oil temp sensor in the drivers side cam cover. I have to dig up around my notes for the part number and the temp/resistance curve.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpilcher View Post
What engine temperature sensor is best used with MS3 Pro? The GM Closed Element CLT Sensor? Is it best to locate this in the left or right cam cover?
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/gm-closed-element-clt-iat-sensor-with-connector/

Or would it be better to use a Cylinder Head Sensor,

Porsche Parts Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor, 914/912E (70-76)

Thanks

John
I'm using the CLT in the crankcase breather cover in place of the thermovalve. It gets splashed with oil there. Can't tell you how it works as its still in progress.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Guys slowly starting to piece together this puzzle.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I'm using the CLT in the crankcase breather cover in place of the thermovalve. It gets splashed with oil there. Can't tell you how it works as its still in progress.
Mine is there as well. Works great no issues.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Has anyone used a bulkhead connector like the one shown on the diyautotune site?
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/weather-pack-22-position-bulkhead-connector-kit/

I was wondering if the VR Pickup wire would work with this type of connector? Does the VR wire need to be wired directly to MS3 Unit? Is it a shielded wire?
I was also thinking of making up a modular Megasquirt wiring loom, using these bulkhead connectors to go between the engine bay and the car interior. Yes the VR wire has a shield and I asked DIYAutoTune if the short hop over the bulkhead connector would compromise the shielding. They replied that it should be no problem at all. I was actually thinking of using 2 connectors, splitting the higher voltage from the lower voltage lines.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Chain fence eating turbo

If you're worried about noise, use the inner pins for the VR so the surrounding wires act as a Faraday cage if you will
Old 11-28-2016, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Found this great site for wiring harness construction. Hope it helps someone.
https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html

Regards

John
1988 Porsche 930 Targa - 3.4L Twin Plug Motor, DC 13 Cams, Supertec Head Studs, ARP Rod Bolts, Port and Polished Heads, Garretson Andial Intercooler, GSX 61 BB Stage 5Turbo, Tial F46 WG .8 Bar Spring, PowerHaus Headers, PowerHaus Dual Tip Muffler, MS3 Pro EFI conversion, 57lbs. Cobra Injectors, Center Force Stage 2 Clutch , Rebuilt 4 Speed with LSD.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

John. Great link. Thanks. I have not seen that one before. EXCELLENT information on there.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 11-28-2016, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Guys

I have been using a GSF Crank pulley for my SDS EFI system. With no issues.
When I bought the crank pulley I purchased a 36-1 trigger wheel. It's the wheel with a single set of mounting holes. I remember reading an old thread that identified 2 different trigger wheels. One was for a DTA EFI and the other was for Megasquirt. There seemed to be a limitation with the Megasquirt trigger wheel of 11 degrees. Was this limitation due to the EDIS controller.
Will I have any issues setting this up in MS3 Pro?

Also where should the missing tooth be located? To the right of TDC as shown in picture? I believe the VR sensor will be located 50 degrees ATDC based on MS3Pro manual?

Thanks john

Last edited by jpilcher; 11-28-2016 at 08:14 PM..
Old 11-28-2016, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Doesnt matter where it is, as it can be changed in tunerstudio. You will want to verify with a timing light.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
I am using this mil spec one. The heavy heat shrink 90 was about 75.00 if I remember.
88 930 3.4 ,Twin plugged billet Xtreme cylinder heads and denso COPs, Dougherty custom GT 2 evo cams,pauter rods,Garrett Gt40,ms3x Efi ,1100cc injectors,extrude honed 3.2 intake,TK billet fullbay I/C,MODE headers,KEP stage 2,E-85 706 rwhp
Old 11-29-2016, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Found this great site for wiring harness construction. Hope it helps someone.
https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html

Regards

John
Great info! Except....I HATE cable ties. Too many times I've reached into an engine compartment and had my arms cut to ribbons by the jagged pointy ends of improperly cut or baked hard and broken cable ties.

Waxed lacing cord is still far superior IMNSHO. A little more fiddly and time consuming, but none of the above problems, easy to remove, and you can make some fantastic tight wiring harnesses with it.

Maybe I'm grumpy 'cos I have a gurt big rip up my forearm right now from this...
Old 11-29-2016, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Just wondered if 2 wire 18 GA AWG shielded wire would be suitable for both the crank and cam sensors?
Old 12-03-2016, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Sure
Old 12-03-2016, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

I think you will find that the Sierra Madre 914 sensor that you referenced is really a switch, not a sensor, so that won't work for you.

There is a sensor from the 911 3.2 that will work (930-606-915-00), but it is not very convenient to adapt, unless you have started with a 3.2L engine.

People who have chosen to use the breather location have used Bosch Sensor# 0280130037.

I have used GM/DELPHI sensor 12146312 for over ten years now. I cut the brass sensor tip off and extracted the sensor. I soldered a two-wire lead to it, and epoxied it to the number three cylinder head fin. I used the alternator lead hole in the fan shroud to route the wire to a connector on my wiring loom.

I also tried the breather location with the Bosch/Audi sensor, which is beautiful from a connection standpoint. From a control standpoint, it was not acceptable, so I abandoned it. I experienced these problems:

1. The oil warms up too slowly, so dec'ing out the start enrichment fuel is overly sensitive, making for rough drive-away from a cold start. If you get it right at warm ambient temperatures, it is wrong at cold ones, and visa-versa.

2. The breather stays warm too long, making hot restarts crank too long. Again, you can fix this for long hot soaks, but then short ones are messed up, or visa-versa.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Subscribed
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8 dual/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LC-1/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin plug coil packs/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. SDS EFI tuning always in progress. 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 12-04-2016, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
You can make your own cylinder head temperature sensor for MS. It consists of an GE NTC thermistor (AL03006-1847-76-G1, 3K ohm@ 25*C) and a 5/16 or 3/8" terminal ring. I made this for my installation and it works good. It is installed under the fan shroud at the front corner of cylinder #3 and secured with the shroud bolt, clamping the terminal ring against the cam tower. It is made by carefully and lightly crimping the thermistor glass body to the wire terminal ring. Then apply JB weld to the crimp area to ensure the element is secured to the terminal. Then install heat shrink to the wire leads to insulate them. Bend the leads as needed and solder wire leads. Insulate the solder joints and then heat shrink the wiring to the terminal ring for support.

The sensor must be calibrated in TS. Here are the calibration numbers I used:

33* - 8200 ohms
77* - 3000 ohms
212* - 276 ohms

Buy at least three thermistors so if you bust one trying to crimp it in the terminal ring you have spares. They can be purchased at DigiKey, Mouser, etc.

Prior to starting when cold, the IAT and the CLT read exactly the same for my installation. I cut off WUE by 125* F in TS. CLT generally reads 140 - 160* depending on temperature and driving conditions when warmed up. Hot starts with heat soak can show 190 - 220* depending on how hot it is.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

John, I would think most of the devices you have for your SDS system could be used for the MS3 setup. I would think these parts could be adapted to work. Philip
throttle position sensor
intake air temp sensor
cylinder head temp sensor
map sensor
coil packs
crank position sensor/pickup/pulley
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8 dual/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LC-1/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin plug coil packs/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. SDS EFI tuning always in progress. 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 12-04-2016, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip j View Post
John, I would think most of the devices you have for your SDS system could be used for the MS3 setup. I would think these parts could be adapted to work. Philip
throttle position sensor
intake air temp sensor
cylinder head temp sensor
map sensor
coil packs
crank position sensor/pickup/pulley
Hey Phillip

Yes, I figure I can re-use the throttle position sensor, intake air temp sensor, cylinder head temp sensor, and map sensor. I am planning on going to coil on plug ignition.
I also want to utilize sequential ignition and fuel. So I will have to replace the crank sensor and add a cam sensor.

Picked up some to wire shielded cable for the crank and cam sensors this weekend

Regards

John
Old 12-04-2016, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: