Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Prep for paint...

Well,

It's time, and after finding a new front windshield and pulling into a spare stall of my mechanic's shop for the winter - I have to ask the gallery:

What can I do to keep paint cost(s) down without creating more work for the paint shop?

With the help of the shop owner and scheduler I was going to remove the windows (hoping not to find the dreaded rust spots in the lower radius of the front windshield), along with removing the lights and trim. Without going on further, what are the thoughts of me doing on my own before bringing it to the paint shop?

Thanks!

I've also decided to keep it original black.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I did mine that way and then ended up sending the painter the window trim so he could paint it black. I took out the whole interior except the headliner, dash and gauges. I shoulda taken out the dash and gauges., I removed all the sound insulation in the interior, trunk, and engine bay. Took out the motor and trans too. Removed all grills and badges, rocker panels, bumpers, bumper trim, everything.
Saved me some surprise when I saw the rust under everything, so I knew he was gonna call and say , ' uh, we need to replace this floorpan, those back seat floor pans, the rockers, the passenger door skin, and the front and rear lips'.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Remove the doors, mirrors decklids and sunroof, door cards
Old 12-05-2016, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Typical with every paint shop in the world is - if you leave loose parts in the car they will get lost or damaged. Remove everything you can and store it in a special place where no one will be near it as everything becomes very fragile while off the car. There are many levels of paint quality so it all depends on how involved your paint work will be. I would check every gap before the car comes apart - then write notes on a piece of paper or the body itself to note where work needs to be done. As the car comes apart you may find shims on the hoods - save them and note where they go. Taking the doors off is a tremendous help for the painter, if all door gaps are good then just pull the door pins only - don't remove the bolts on the hinges. Sometimes its good to have a paintless dent guy go over the car to pop out any dings while the car is still shiny. If no gap work needs to be done then you are lucky. Figure anything that you don't want painted over or to be covered in unbelievable amounts of dust should be removed. If your car was painted by Earl Scheib back in the day then you should remove the junk paint so there is a good foundation for paint to be applied to.

Just thank the Porsche gods for giving you a galvanized car that is less prone to rusting than the old ones - I am currently prepping a 67 911 for paint, cutting sections off parts cars and gas torch welding them back onto the car we are saving - I am $6000 in metalwork and just about finished, the paint is another $20k on top of that. Another car we are doing is a 70S, coming out of paint shortly $6k in metal on that one and the paint bill was $19,000 so far with just a bit more to do. Of course we are taking better than new paint quality here and the last time these car will ever be done most likely. Later cars are easier usually as there is less damage.

Always remember that the paint is the foundation of the car for how good it will be in the future. If you cut corners on a paint job you CAN NOT go back and fix those areas later, whereas an engine can be pulled back out and changed, same with interior. If you want a perfect car then you at least need perfect paint, if something other than the paint gets messed up the it can always come off and get revised but the paint can't. And no there is not some guy somewhere that can do a perfect paint job for half the cost or a 1/4 the cost of the best guys. Paintwork is basically labor and labor is no longer cheap - skilled labor is no longer cheap and its increasingly harder to find.

Last edited by confused; 12-05-2016 at 03:03 PM..
Old 12-05-2016, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

prep work is the most important part of any paint job... painting persay is easy.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm not sure if it's standard protocol to pull the fenders but I'd do it for piece of mind. It's not to difficult and the top edge of the inner fender is a notorious place for rust. When I pulled my pas. fender to make a small repair and found a 2 or 3" spot of surface rust. I was lucky to catch it before it did any real damage.
Good luck. Post up some before and after pix.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Does the shop specialize in porsche or is it a all around bodyshop??

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2016, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I ask because if you dissasemble the doors hood rear deacklis ect,chances are you might have a harder time reasembling the car a couple months down the rd after paint polish.I would take alot of photos before taking her apart at least thats what i was told once...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Old 12-06-2016, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: