Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Rocket Scientist

Wow. It looks like you are on your way to greatness there. Who is building the engine? Do you have all the early fuel system parts? Does it have the hand throttle?

The Rest Of World (ROW) exhaust is way cheaper than the USA exhaust for sure, around half. Your car had the wastegate connected to the muffler, rather than a separate wastegate pipe like the later cars. That car is definitely worth the 3 grand for genuine Porsche parts.

Did you have any luck rounding up all the interior parts? I think you had the wrong dash, if I remember correctly.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
That really opens up possibilities for you that are a lot less than $6K - for OEM, the early, non-USA Turbos used the exact same headers, j-pipe, etc (without the bung for the Lambda O2 sensor), that is also found on 1986-1989 USA models - much easier to find those components second hand than the early USA exhaust gear.

Also, it doesn't look like your cylinder heads are even drilled for the air injectors, to that eliminates all of those expensive, and dumb, parts - more good news!
I have an excellent condition exhaust from an 86 US turbo including all components (even the cat if wanted). These will shortly be for sale. Pm if interested.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
RarlyL8 system, just do it! Forget about future owners and think about driving a badass great sounding car for your enjoyment.

SOLD: 1975 Carrera / 965 tribute w/ 1989 3.3 turbo 8.5:1, custom Evergreen K27 7200, 964 cams, euro CIS, TEC1 dual plug, rarlyL8 headers & hooligan pipe.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356911930 View Post
If you are going to stay with the 3ldz turbocharger it will not spool up until about 4,000 rpm and that is when the cam want to start breathing too giving the famous Turbo Carrera kick in the pants. with the tall gearing in the 930 transmission it makes the early turbos drop out of the sweat spot for both the turbo and cams producing the famous "turbo lag". If you drive the early cars really hard to redline you can keep the turbo lag to a minimum but it is a lot of work on twisty roads. With equal length headers the turbo will spool earlier and give the driver a wider more useful rpm range to drive in especially when used in conjunction with the K27-7200. Short tube headers give more power at higher rpm and work well with turbos that like the higher rpm range like the k27-7006. Naturally there are many other combinations that well especially with some of the more modern ballbearing turbos.

Rahl
Thank you for explanation,looks like that I still have to learn a lot about it
Old 12-20-2016, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
That really opens up possibilities for you that are a lot less than $6K - for OEM, the early, non-USA Turbos used the exact same headers, j-pipe, etc (without the bung for the Lambda O2 sensor), that is also found on 1986-1989 USA models - much easier to find those components second hand than the early USA exhaust gear.

Also, it doesn't look like your cylinder heads are even drilled for the air injectors, to that eliminates all of those expensive, and dumb, parts - more good news!
At least one good news,so I don't have to spend another thousands of dollars unexpectedly )))
Old 12-20-2016, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Squirrel View Post
Wow. It looks like you are on your way to greatness there. Who is building the engine? Do you have all the early fuel system parts? Does it have the hand throttle?

The Rest Of World (ROW) exhaust is way cheaper than the USA exhaust for sure, around half. Your car had the wastegate connected to the muffler, rather than a separate wastegate pipe like the later cars. That car is definitely worth the 3 grand for genuine Porsche parts.

Did you have any luck rounding up all the interior parts? I think you had the wrong dash, if I remember correctly.
I'm glad that you recognized this project.BTRacing from Evanston IL is working on the car.I have all the origina fuel system parts but still not sure if we can reuse it.We made some progress with the project,but there is still a lot of work left to be done.
Stay tuned 😉
Old 12-20-2016, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy View Post
RarlyL8 system, just do it! Forget about future owners and think about driving a badass great sounding car for your enjoyment.
That's exactly what I'm thinking to do.
Just to go with RarlyL8 and if I decide to sell it one day,I'll deal than with it
Thank you
Old 12-20-2016, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

76 exhaust

Hi,on the 76 exhaust the waste gate laid horizontal on its back like the guy with Scabbs on his Knees after getting beat by a 72 Targa WITH NO SOUL.Just kidding.Buy a Euro 930 System with the waste gate on an angle.Cost less than $1,000.00 and will match your cams.Your car is looking great.Is this the car that was found in a garage in Chicago?Merry Xmas Fred
Old 12-21-2016, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by faapgar View Post
Hi,on the 76 exhaust the waste gate laid horizontal on its back like the guy with Scabbs on his Knees after getting beat by a 72 Targa WITH NO SOUL.Just kidding.Buy a Euro 930 System with the waste gate on an angle.Cost less than $1,000.00 and will match your cams.Your car is looking great.Is this the car that was found in a garage in Chicago?Merry Xmas Fred
Yes,this the car from Chicago garage.Its a long process but I think that on the end will look great.Thanks for the tips
Merry Xmas
Old 12-21-2016, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by faapgar View Post
Hi,on the 76 exhaust the waste gate laid horizontal on its back like the guy with Scabbs on his Knees after getting beat by a 72 Targa WITH NO SOUL.Just kidding.
FreakyFaappin'Fred, and then you woke up - wiff my Turbo('s) pipe in yer face, Bro!!!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 12-21-2016 at 06:11 PM..
Old 12-21-2016, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
I'm just gonna say that the pic of that "body kit" sitting there in a hastily cut off heap sprawled across the ground is THE best pic I've seen on Pelican ever!!!

You've exorcised the demon - shi!tty '80s taste... BEGONE!!!

Keep on keepin on, brutha... you're doing a hell of a great job so far. Go w/ Brian's headers and exhaust and don't look back. You will NOT be disappointed... they sound gnarly as all hell!

Looking forward to your further progress and updates!

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 12-22-2016, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
I'm just gonna say that the pic of that "body kit" sitting there in a hastily cut off heap sprawled across the ground is THE best pic I've seen on Pelican ever!!!

You've exorcised the demon - shi!tty '80s taste... BEGONE!!!

Keep on keepin on, brutha... you're doing a hell of a great job so far. Go w/ Brian's headers and exhaust and don't look back. You will NOT be disappointed... they sound gnarly as all hell!

Looking forward to your further progress and updates!
Hey thanks a lot for support,it's my first Porsche and my first restoration ever,that's why I have so many questions )). Trying to do the best that I can . Brian's headers and exhaust,are you talking about RarlyL8??
Old 12-23-2016, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepersd View Post
Brian's headers and exhaust,are you talking about RarlyL8??
"Rarly8"= Brian Bodart (I think I spelled that correctly?)
Old 12-23-2016, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

FWIW - I am going through a similar exercise. I have a 76 going through a full resto- I have most the stock system but I have no plans to install it on car. I am having Brian build a proper exhaust system for car. If I ever sell mine I can put stock system back on.
Phil
Old 12-24-2016, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pu911 View Post
FWIW - I am going through a similar exercise. I have a 76 going through a full resto- I have most the stock system but I have no plans to install it on car. I am having Brian build a proper exhaust system for car. If I ever sell mine I can put stock system back on.
Phil
I think that I'll do the same,do you know maybe approximately how much system like that can cost?
Can you also share you thread here ,I would like to see you project also
Old 12-24-2016, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

I read your other thread about the vin nr. etc.
I think you can take a left on keeping everything original.
I would buy a full set from Dansk,they have the heat exchangers and muffler.
The fit is great,the price is 2k here in EU for the whole set.
Maybe a bit more in the US

Old 01-02-2017, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: