Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

New/Current Relays Suck Much AZZ Rant!

My new, bought from Pelican, overboost relay (the infamous yellow one) lasted under 300 miles before quitting on me today while whizzing along at around 85 in super heavy, late afternoon traffic on a highway in Ft.Worth Texass - farkin' harrowing experience because the shoulder I was forced to stop on is one of the skinny versions (different than Paul's skinny mini!) that butts up to a multi-story concrete barrier. Fortunately I had the old relay in my spares bag (gotta always have an electronic components spares bag because Porsche couldn't design their way out of a paper bag when it comes to the 12 volt department!) and was motoring away shortly after.

The new relay is an OEM, German brand, "Whitten" and is the only option that Pelican lists. It's under warranty, but I really don't want to get another one and have it be a +/- $125.00 piece of shart, too. Will be interesting to see what Pelican says.

Rant over!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 12-28-2016 at 09:58 PM..
Old 12-28-2016, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I bought a new one this summer and repaired my original and keep it in the car too. Crazy how unreliable these seem to be. I have noticed that they seem to fail immediately or last forever. No idea why it's so hard to make a reliable relay.

Glad you were able to get it fixed without dying a fiery death on the side of the highway.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I keep a jumper wire in the glove box for just such emergencies. Will get the pumps running, sans the over boost protection but who really cares in such circumstances.

I hate the embarrassment of breaking down, not to mention the safety concerns with all those arshole gauckers wizzing by.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Pelican should totally warranty it and replace it with no charges to you. That can be an incredibly dangerous situation when the car breaks down like yours did on an expressway with narrow shoulders and a concrete wall.. especially during rush hours.

Back when my speed relay under the left seat was doing that from time to time because it's plug contacts were dirty my car quit on the single lane Southern Blvd bridge going over the intracoastal waterway. That was just special.. and if it happened today I'd quickly have gun boats cruising around under the bridge because the intracoastal side of Donald Trumps Palm Beach home Maralago is a few hundred feet away to the east.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

So 930's won't run with these relays dead???

What in bloody hell does it kill?
Old 12-29-2016, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If I remember correctly it disconnects the ground to the fuel pump relays so it kills the fuel pumps.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
If I remember correctly it disconnects the ground to the fuel pump relays so it kills the fuel pumps.
Wow, that blows (pun intended).

Makes sense now.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

No way to convert to a solid-state relay?
Old 12-29-2016, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

I made a jumper for just such an emergency.....

The jumper is made from #12 wire soldered at the tips to keep the stray wires under control.

I removed the yellow relay and jumped pins 87 & 87a.

Turned on the ignition and the pumps started right up. OK ..... so we know we can jump the relay.

Next I printed out the instructions (Post #6 of this thread Yellow boost relay issues ) with pin numbers and such. Attached the jumper to the instructions and also taped a couple of toothpicks onto my rescue sheet (to help secure the wires into their holes ... I am a Shadetree mechanic after all).

Put the rescue sheet into my glovebox and I am now good to go in the event of a Yellow Relay Failure.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Why not just leave the jumper wire in,and do away with the relay,or is it a safety thing?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2016, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I think the relay is there for a reason. You don't want a fuel pump pumping fuel under all conditions do you? What I'm wondering about is how to replace the old relays with a more reliable solution.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

So really jumping is just to get you up and running whenbthe relay fails?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2016, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

That's my take on it. I wouldn't park the thing and leave the jumper in.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Good reminder about the overboost relay bypass rig - was aware of that but had never made one for my roadside repairs kit - will do now, though!

Kevin, Mick and JustTheTIPpy, that relay is part of the overboost circuit - without it (with the relay socket jumpered), there is no overboost protection in the event that the wategate fails, the signal hose to it comes off, etc., and in addition, it is part of the air metering body's safety switch operation (the switch that cuts power to the fuel pumps if no air is passing over the arm/disc - that way, fuel doesn't continue to pump if the engine is stalled . . . like in a wreck, for instance). So yep, it is a necessary part. Would definitely be interesting to look into a more modern relay solution, Mick.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 01-04-2017 at 06:49 PM..
Old 12-29-2016, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Sounds like an excellent argument for an EMS to me.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Dayam, Knees!! You actually drive that thing?? I thought she was a garage queen just like you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
My new, bought from Pelican, overboost relay (the infamous yellow one) lasted under 300 miles before quitting on me today while whizzing along at around 85 in super heavy, late afternoon traffic on a highway in Ft.Worth Texass - farkin' harrowing experience because the shoulder I was forced to stop on is one of the skinny versions (different than Paul's skinny mini!) that butts up to a multi-story concrete barrier. Fortunately I had the old relay in my spares bag (gotta always have an electronic components spares bag because Porsche couldn't design their way out of a paper bag when it comes to the 12 volt department!) and was motoring away shortly after.

The new relay is an OEM, German brand, "Whitten" and is the only option that Pelican lists. It's under warranty, but I really don't want to get another one and have it be a +/- $125.00 piece of shart, too. Will be interesting to see what Pelican says.

Rant over!
Old 12-29-2016, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

I'm gonna drive this thing, alrighty - guard yer loins, IcyHottness!!!
Old 12-29-2016, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_D View Post
Sounds like an excellent argument for an EMS to me.
Ditto.

He already has bahl shrankin' AC, time for some EFI
Old 12-29-2016, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_D View Post
No way to convert to a solid-state relay?
Remove the rubber base, install a base for a 5 pin modern relay. Easy right? Doesn't even need to be solid state, just any old modern relay will last forever.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

All these old specialized relays are just getting worse in quality due to lack of demand. When I built my new relay/fuse panel I bought several relays to play with and settled on these:

CB1A-R-12V Panasonic Electric Works | Relays | DigiKey

Panasonic 40A fully sealed and buffered automotive relay, made in Japan, not China, and less than $5 each in a bulk of 10. Can't beat that.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: