Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Like this?

Old 01-05-2017, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
K27/K29 hybrid starts out as a new K27-7200. The 7200 frame is retained, a K29 hot side is bolted on and modified turbine wheel installed. Some machine work required. Result is a faster spooling K29. Fairly expensive but has a niche with Porshe purists and those who want a close to bolt on solution for the 930. Very robust turbo.
Brian, (or anyone that knows)

what is the difference between a K27/29 and a K27 HFS?
Old 01-05-2017, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The HFS is made by UMW, starts out life as new K27 parts with machined housings and turbine wheels added. The "S" in HFS is a designation for the cold housing inlet which is larger to fit the 964T. The K27/29 is made by several different turbo shops and is a K27 with K29 parts adapted for use as one. I've had both and don't see a lot of difference in the performance of the end product. Quality of the finished product lies with the manufacturers machining capabilities and the use of genuine KKK/BW components.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

All 3LDZ, K27-7006, K27-7200 turbos use the same 2.75" OD compressor inlet.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 01-06-2017, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

The K27 HFS was put together by UMW which is short for Ultimate Motorwerks.
It is a K27 7200 with a bigger Holset compressor wheel and aftermarket compressor housing with a 3" OD inlet to fit over the Holset wheel and bolt to the K27 backplate. I think the exhaust turbine hot side is a regular K27 7200 but I'm not sure.
I don't think there's any difference between a K27 HF or K27 HFS. Probably just some UMW style marketing.

...and now for some more _____ you didn't ask about.

Garret turbos cost less, come on boost sooner, and blow all the K27's away.

The original journal bearing Garret Blowzilla turbo made by TurbosDirect.Com Web Site - Home is a Garret TO4Z and it is the best performing and most durable turbo that can be bought new for around $800 that I've experienced.
xbmwguy used to have one and his car was so fast with that thing. I never drove his car with that turbo but went for a ride in it and I was impressed.

2 or 3 years ago I sold my K27 7006 and K27 HFS and decided to try and find one and learned that Turbos Direct in Arizona built Blowzilla so I called them and learned that for about another $400 I could get an "upgraded Blowzilla" with a ball bearing center housing and a billet compressor wheel. It is still built on a Garret TO4Z and now they call it a GSX61.
So I bought one and I like it.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

And the GSX61 is still using the heavier, older aero Stage-V turbine wheel.
The GT-series has lighter turbines with better aerodynamics, so more responsive still and more power, only down side is they cost more.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Anybody mention that the LDZ has the big hose clamp in the middle making it instantly identifiable?
Old 01-09-2017, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Stock LDZ looks like this

Stock turbo for most years. Has a clamp.
Nobody used to bother fixing one.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

FWIW that's a V-band clamp, not a T-bolt hose clamp.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
The GT-series has lighter turbines with better aerodynamics, so more responsive still and more power, only down side is they cost more.
The guy at Turbo's Direct told me that the ball bearings in the TO4Z center cartridge were larger and heavier than the ones in the GT35R and they felt that made it a little more durable.
More weight to spin up would slow down response a little I'm sure.
It comes on earlier and responds faster than any of the K27 turbos I've had and it cost somewhere around $400 less than a genuine GT35R.
I have to admit it was the lower price that sold it to me
I'm still running lazy old CIS anyway.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Who ever said horsepower was cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
I have to admit it was the lower price that sold it to me
I'm still running lazy old CIS anyway.
I get that. I am trying to save a few buck by fixing some f-ed up used headers. But in reality I probably threw away $800.00 and will end up ordering a set of Bryan's headers.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda Racing View Post
Stock turbo for most years. Has a clamp.
Nobody used to bother fixing one.
Correct Mark -- big v-band clamp holding on the turbine housing on a 3LDZ, while none of the K2x-series turbos use that.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: