Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Cam lock hose clamps for intercooler?

I've seen in a few youtube videos where people are showing off their intercoolers some cam lock hose clamps.

I'm considering using a couple of these on my intercooler silicone couplers.

1) In the opinion of the board, are these a good idea?

2) What is a good brand/type/source?

Thanks

Old 01-04-2017, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I found the T-Bolt clamps to be more than enough, especially compared to the worm drive ones. No way that correctly tightened T-bolt clamps are allowing boost leak, IMO.

I bought some stainless ones off amazon with good results.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

^^^^^^^

The T-Bolt clamps work very well. Don't need the cam locks...
Old 01-04-2017, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

they look like crap and are overkill. also take up a lot of room compared to other connectors. I may be biased for the looks because I have worked in power plants for about 30 years and most temporary hoses for water oil etc, use them. So whenever we nned to cobble together a drain hose or make up a hose to fill something we use camlocs,
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
2019 Silverado 6.2L
Old 01-04-2017, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

We used to use t-bolt clamps, and experienced more leaks than when using the standard Norma stainless clamps normally used on these cars. Plus it was disheartening when we'd get a car in and someone had over-tightened the t-bold clamp and crushed the fabricated aluminum tube inside the silicone.
Back to the factory type Norma clamps, 12-21psi and zero leaks and zero damage to the parts -- works for us.

Never tried the cam lever hose clamps. If we want the intercooler to be quick disconnect, we use Vanjen clamps or Adel Wiggins couplers which also allow for some movement and angularity.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 01-04-2017, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Constant Tension clamps are nice but a bit spendy.

"These clamps are the perfect choice for connections at the turbocharger and the intercooler pipes.
Their design compensates warp caused by temperature fluctuation and pressure.
The special shape ensures perfectly distributed clamp load.
Whereas common clamps are only clamp loaded at the interlock and the opposite side,
the ULTRA-HD clamps apply evenly distribute pressure to the whole circumference.
When combined to our silicone hoses the perfect solution for any boost and any charge air system.
These clamps are solely used by many renowned tuners.
Whoever tightened these clamps until it tore apart, just because it was still leaking,
knows why we are offering these clamps."

Last edited by smurfbus; 01-04-2017 at 08:30 PM..
Old 01-04-2017, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I was thinking more about quick release than anything. I've had this intercooler on and off so many times I ought to use velcro.

I guess I'll stick with regular worm drive clamps. Thanks
Old 01-05-2017, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Turbofrog

One option

HPP 3.00 Inch 2-Piece QDC Coupler Assembly - QDC 2 Piece Couplers HPP

Old 01-05-2017, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I really love these dual seal connectors from race parts solutions.

I have them on the inlet and outlet of my intercooler as well as the throttle body.

They weld nice, are very well made, and easy to install and remove.

With these on I can remove my intercooler in under 1 minute.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Old 01-06-2017, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

nocarrier -- I've used those once when a client asked for them, can't recall: what holds the pin in? Friction? Spring-loaded ball like a standard locking pin (trailer pin, etc.)?

Hargett doesn't make their QDCs any longer.

Jodar > Accufab, which are a PITA because getting the pin in and out is a mofo, scratches up the anodized clamp as well. Poor design IMO.
Vibrant just released a similar setup at SEMA last Nov, the pin has a spring-loaded button on it to release the pin.

Pegasus clamps > Adel Wiggins -- okay, blatant knock-off of Wiggins, but I've seen them work just as well at holding together on the track and on the dyno with 2+bar of boost and they're about 1/3 the price.

We use the Vanjen clamps, and never have had one pop open or leak. Spring-loaded shells making alignment and installation great, even one-handed, and the over-center clasp (like a men's watch) has a very positive latch to it.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Yup the pins use spring loaded ball bearings.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

thx
Old 01-06-2017, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Banned

Wiggins, and call it a day.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: