Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Work in Progress

Garage
Electromotive XDI-200 to control dual plug ignition

I'm considering using this to go twin plug on my engine, but wanted to ask the circus animals here if anyone else has looked at it?

In a nutshell what I like about it is:
  1. Laptop programmable dual plug ignition
  2. My "Green Wire" issue is dead
  3. has built in data logging (AFR, Boost, tach, etc.) - Though this is pretty limited without a laptop connected, which is a disappointment.
  4. Has a built in Knock sensor.
  5. Seems like it is a fairly straightforward install
  6. COP is avaliable

I'm really interested to hear if anyone else has looked into this option at all, and what pro's vs. con's you've come up with.

https://electromotive.com/our-products/xdi200-ignition/

Last edited by Rich76_911s; 01-09-2017 at 01:16 PM..
Old 01-09-2017, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi Rich,i am running hvp1 with a twin plug set up and its been on my car since 99 and knock on wood its been very reliable and that was excactly what i was looking for.Whenbi had questions Richard always made the time to help.I am sure xdl-200 if a far better system then what i have...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2017, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Thanks Kevin, appreciate the data point. I've spoken with Richard and he, as you mentioned, has been incredibly helpful.

Seems like if I go this route I'll be the guinea pig for our little slice of heaven.

Rich
Old 01-10-2017, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rich have you converted to efi?

Old 01-10-2017, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
No I'm using CIS and just researching different options to fire the second set of plugs.

In hindsight maybe I should've just gone for the full Monty and gone efi, but l guess I was nostalgic for adjusting fuel with a hammer and a 3mm hex wrench.

if you were doing it today would you put together something like you have or spend the extra money and go with the fancier laptop programmable ignition system?
Old 01-10-2017, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Honestly i am pretty happy with what i have,the motor itself i went to 3.4 pistons and 964 cams and the main reason i went twin plugged is for 1 i was already in the motor and hqving heads done and i was sold on the idea of having a even spark and a better burn on lean cond.But to answer your question i am interested in going the full monte to feel the bennifits,but when u go to the top there really is know where else to go.plus seems like you are always chacing set ups.My system is almost 20 years i have had it running with almost no probs.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I said almodt no probs u justvhave to make sure when u plug it in u here or feel a click.haha that turned out to be my big problem

Old 01-10-2017, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Rich, it seems like with this you're really close to real engine management -- EFI Injector Blocks + fuel lines + injectors & sensors. Unless your CIS was recently all rebuilt, it seems logical to just do the full conversion and get a much better end result.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 01-11-2017, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rich, i have not been in another 930 with efi or smart ignition systems,i think if i werr to get in a fully tunned 930 i would probably go the full monte,and let her all hang out 500hp +is a good number to have.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Solid points from both of you.

I don't really have the budget for a full on EFI at this moment. It's something I think I'd need some serious professional support for too. I really don't know squat about wiring and interference, and ground loops, etc. Sounds like it's best if I just wait it out and go all the way at a later date. I was predominately looking to fire the second set of plugs to get a bit more low end response and to decrease the risk of detonation.

I, like Kevin, had my heads drilled for the second set of plugs while it was getting built.

Of course I've rebuilt just about everything in the CIS system. It wouldn't be the "Rich" way if I didn't do every job twice and spend 2-3x what I need to

The good news is that my rebuilt CIS should be good to keep me running for a while until that day down the road where I can go down the rabbit hole. I'll be in Phoenix in March maybe I can schedule a little time to catch up with Chris and see how deep the rabbit hole really goes.

Last edited by Rich76_911s; 01-12-2017 at 06:02 AM..
Old 01-11-2017, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Rich,
I've been running an hpx twin plug setup without issue for 15 years without issue and find myself on that same bubble. Although it's old technology it's super simple, allowed me to add a 2bar map sensor to pull timing and has been nothing but reliable. My heads have already been opened up and twin plugged and the motor is screaming for a set of TK Edelweiss cams and EFI, really tough to pull apart a well running motor.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I would be nervouse to go to t/k as i dont know how to say no.I have seen the vids on some of chris's builds.One of the best.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Work in Progress

Garage
These damn cars should be a registered controlled substances by the FDA!

Every step is just a little more and before you know it you're living in a van down by the river

I read the manual for the HPV-1 last night. Just looking to see what it would take to build a "budget" temporary twin plug setup. I saw MAP based advanced but didn't see anything about retarding using a map Sensor. I need to look a bit deeper into that.

Thanks to all the suggestions. It's a tough call and part of me still is considering doing the half step into EFI, and living with those results for a while.

Last edited by Rich76_911s; 01-12-2017 at 07:39 AM..
Old 01-12-2017, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

3 scenarios:

1. You've spent money on rebuilding your CIS, and want a basic twin-plug ignition until you're ready pull it all off for EFI:
We have a complete take-off HPV1 ignition package we took off a 930 -- would sell it pretty cheap

2. You've spent money on rebuilding your CIS, but still want a fully 3D programmable kick@ss twin-plug ignition, with the possibility of datalogging, failsafes, and full-on EFI:
Use an engine management computer to drive your twin-plug ignition, not that XDi box.
Add extra sensors for extra functions.
3D boost control.
Programmable failsafes.
Oh, and want to control the fuel curve better than a Leask WUR? Use an injector driver to regulate control pressure.

3. You tell yourself "it's just pennies a day" and pull all the CIS off now to switch to EFI.
You make another 930 owner with bad CIS into a happy 930 owner.
Your car gets the reliability and drivability of Carrera with a huge bump in performance, and fuel economy to boot.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Chris,

THANKS!

See I never saw/understood that #2 was even an option. That is fantastic information.

I'll contact you about #1 and start saving a my pennies a day
Old 01-12-2017, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Dang that guy is good,that excactly why i would have a hard yime walking into his shop.I would walk out saying whatvthe heck just happened.Haha

Old 01-12-2017, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin930t View Post
Dang that guy is good,that excactly why i would have a hard yime walking into his shop.I would walk out saying whatvthe heck just happened.Haha

I went once before when I was in Arizona and I left with my head spinning. He drops so much info so fast you almost want to show up with a tape recorder
Old 01-12-2017, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

I've been accused of being bad for one's retirement savings plan. :-)
Old 01-12-2017, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Thats freekin awsome.You should open a second shop in Ca.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
beancounter

Rich, as I'm sure you know I had XDI2 ignition on my car. I was very happy with my engine and never had an issue with CIS, so I didn't really feel pulled towards EFI. That said, CC's option 2 of using a standalone ECU to control spark only at first gives you the option to easily add fuel injection later. A full blown engine management box probably is available for the same cost as the XDI. I guess the main issue is that once you have a box that's capable, it's that much more difficult to resist the further upgrade to EFI.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: