Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliyde View Post
FWIW, I used the stock 930 oil/air separator and it was quite effective. May help with the excess oil ingestion, coating on pistons, and hemisphere area.

Tucked in on the right side, behind BOV. Hose leading from filler neck
Thank you Cliyde, finally took a good look.

I had to replace one of those on my old 996, not a happy camper. Engine half hanging out the car. What a PITA. I cringe when I hear AOS's......

Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 01-20-2017, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

AOS on a 930 works great, we don't recommend removing them.
However, you have to have an oil tank that has a fitting for the AOS drain.
Do you have an unused port on your oil tank next to the scavenge pump return?

+1 on twin-plug
And yes, I'd replace the 993T studs with ARP. Someone building a mild engine will be happy to buy that set of 993T studs from you since they're now very expensive from Porsche.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft

Last edited by TurboKraft; 01-20-2017 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 01-20-2017, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
AOS on a 930 works great, we don't recommend removing them.
However, you have to have an oil tank that has a fitting for the AOS drain.
Do you have an unused port on your oil tank next to the scavenge pump return?

+1 on twin-plug
And yes, I'd replace the 993T studs with ARP. Someone building a mild engine will be happy to buy that set of 993T studs from you since they're now very expensive from Porsche.
Chris, I'm Carrera 3.2, not 930. I'm not running a scavenge pump, I'm gravity fed to oil drain plug on case sump.

Wonder how much my studs are worth?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

If you remove them without leaving any squish marks in the threads from a stud removal tool and they look pretty much like new ones they will sell.

When I got my car the top row of dilivar head studs were probably the original ones with the black coating on the smooth sides and the bottom row had been replaced with black coated 993TT dilivar studs.
I replaced them all with ARP head studs a few years ago when installing new Mahle 3.3 pistons and cylinders.

I sold all 24 used dilivar head studs with the barrel nuts and washers for $50 shipped in a small USPS flat rate box. I used a Stahlwille stud removal tool that has 3 internal rollers that squeeze against the stud threads to grip them while removing them. It worked well but did leave marks on the threads of the studs. I cleaned up and repaired the threads with a Jawco 10x1.5mm rethreading die and it worked well. Jawco #M7 Metric Rethreading Die Set Thread Restore 7pc 6-12mm MADE IN USA | eBay

I wrapped the studs, nuts, and washers in paper towels so they wouldn't rattle against each other and they all fit in a small USPS box.
The guy that bought them installed them in a motor and he was happy.

Heating the case around the studs with MAP gas for 5 minutes will soften any loctite used when installing them and double nutting them to screw them out of the case shouldn't leave any marks on the threads.
It takes more time than using a stud removal tool but they should be worth more than $50 shipped if they come out clean.
The barrel nuts will be rusty and you can soak them and the washers in phosphoric acid for a little while to remove the rust if you want. Then spray them with WD40 or something so they don't rust up right away.
They'll look better in a for sale ad that way.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Thanks. I'd hope they're worth more than $50, that's a lot of work with little ROI.

Wonder what engine would need them the most?
Old 01-20-2017, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered

I like Max Moritz pistons
Isnt Max Moritz piston particularly designed for single plug, hence the side-ways top squish design? would those pistons be right for twin plug?
I thought the Max Moritz only had CR for NA, do they come new with low CR? or how did you get to lower CR without machining the top area?
Nice build btw!
Old 01-20-2017, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakobM View Post
I like Max Moritz pistons
Isnt Max Moritz piston particularly designed for single plug, hence the side-ways top squish design? would those pistons be right for twin plug?
I thought the Max Moritz only had CR for NA, do they come new with low CR? or how did you get to lower CR without machining the top area?
Nice build btw!
From memory, there's a MM logo of some kind.. Once I clean them up, I'll be able to see I believe.

Everybody said the same thing that MM makes high CR pistons, but these have the logo.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Thanks. I'd hope they're worth more than $50, that's a lot of work with little ROI.

Wonder what engine would need them the most?
A google search found new ones in Miami for around 37 each plus shipping and the same place has them on amazon for 40 each shipped.
Maybe ask on the engine forum what used ones are worth. Probably a variety of opinions on that so if you sell them maybe it's better to just list them for whatever you're comfortable with.
If you buy a set of ARP head studs then new washers, 12 point nuts, and ARP thread lube is included in the kit.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
If you remove them without leaving any squish marks in the threads from a stud removal tool and they look pretty much like new ones they will sell.

When I got my car the top row of dilivar head studs were probably the original ones with the black coating on the smooth sides and the bottom row had been replaced with black coated 993TT dilivar studs.
I replaced them all with ARP head studs a few years ago when installing new Mahle 3.3 pistons and cylinders.

I sold all 24 used dilivar head studs with the barrel nuts and washers for $50 shipped in a small USPS flat rate box. I used a Stahlwille stud removal tool that has 3 internal rollers that squeeze against the stud threads to grip them while removing them. It worked well but did leave marks on the threads of the studs. I cleaned up and repaired the threads with a Jawco 10x1.5mm rethreading die and it worked well. Jawco #M7 Metric Rethreading Die Set Thread Restore 7pc 6-12mm MADE IN USA | eBay

I wrapped the studs, nuts, and washers in paper towels so they wouldn't rattle against each other and they all fit in a small USPS box.
The guy that bought them installed them in a motor and he was happy.

Heating the case around the studs with MAP gas for 5 minutes will soften any loctite used when installing them and double nutting them to screw them out of the case shouldn't leave any marks on the threads.
It takes more time than using a stud removal tool but they should be worth more than $50 shipped if they come out clean.
The barrel nuts will be rusty and you can soak them and the washers in phosphoric acid for a little while to remove the rust if you want. Then spray them with WD40 or something so they don't rust up right away.
They'll look better in a for sale ad that way.
If you're a reloader or know someone who is, stick your old hardware in a tumbler with some corn cob and let them tumble for a couple of days. They should turn out real nice.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Hi Tippy! First of all there seems to be a lot of oil in the cylinders causing detonation. Nothing on earth will hold that. Secondly,what is your base gasket set up for deck height? Too many thick copper gaskets will crush too much. Everybody says the case halves dont have issues with head stud threads in the case. That may have been true 20 years ago but these can and will wear and pull. I have experienced it first hand. Time cert the case and you are good to go with arp studs. No head gasket required either.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
A google search found new ones in Miami for around 37 each plus shipping and the same place has them on amazon for 40 each shipped.
Maybe ask on the engine forum what used ones are worth. Probably a variety of opinions on that so if you sell them maybe it's better to just list them for whatever you're comfortable with.
If you buy a set of ARP head studs then new washers, 12 point nuts, and ARP thread lube is included in the kit.
Yeah, they're pricey little boogers.

Hmmm, looks like they'll have some decent value used. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
If you're a reloader or know someone who is, stick your old hardware in a tumbler with some corn cob and let them tumble for a couple of days. They should turn out real nice.
All 24 at once? I'd imagine the thread peaks would be rounded off, no?
Old 01-21-2017, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy 930 View Post
Hi Tippy! First of all there seems to be a lot of oil in the cylinders causing detonation. Nothing on earth will hold that. Secondly,what is your base gasket set up for deck height? Too many thick copper gaskets will crush too much. Everybody says the case halves dont have issues with head stud threads in the case. That may have been true 20 years ago but these can and will wear and pull. I have experienced it first hand. Time cert the case and you are good to go with arp studs. No head gasket required either.
Hello Andy, I only have a single base gasket; I believe they're .25mm's? I'll have to measure. So, they're pretty thin.

I'm still a little baffled about everyone mentioning the oil in the cylinders. What is causing this and how is it getting there? Is it excess crankcase pressure from lack of an AOS? Leaking valve guides? Pressure getting past oil rings? Haven't quite understood mode of entry yet, I'd admit.

Time-Sert an AL case? Oh man, this is a 1st for me to hear. Never heard of anyone pulling case threads except on Mg cases?

Can you elaborate your experience, please sir?
Old 01-21-2017, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Registered

How many miles since last rebuild? You say you don't have an AOS but your tank is vented right? Case vents to tank and tank vents to intake or atmosphere?
Old 01-21-2017, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
How many miles since last rebuild? You say you don't have an AOS but your tank is vented right? Case vents to tank and tank vents to intake or atmosphere?
I rebuilt it 5 years ago. Odometer is broke, but I'd guess 10k miles?

Vents to atmosphere. Still have the 3.2 restrictor in the hose.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Registered

Always do a compression and leak down test before a tear down.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

That spark plug looks pretty white indicating a very lean mixture too.... sometimes the original head studs are very hard to remove and one method to remove them is to use heat. The threads can distort and stretch. Additionally, detonation from high boost,oil injestion, lean mixtures and incorrect ignition timing can place enormous loads on the engine fasteners, not to mention breaking piston rings. 1.4 bar if you are using standard cams is not making the same power as using the right cams and 1 bar boost.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I'm sure someone has asked this question but I didn't see it; why so much boost?
You can make power other ways that do not stress the engine so much.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy 930 View Post
That spark plug looks pretty white indicating a very lean mixture too.... sometimes the original head studs are very hard to remove and one method to remove them is to use heat. The threads can distort and stretch. Additionally, detonation from high boost,oil injestion, lean mixtures and incorrect ignition timing can place enormous loads on the engine fasteners, not to mention breaking piston rings. 1.4 bar if you are using standard cams is not making the same power as using the right cams and 1 bar boost.
Thanks for complementing me on my tuning abilities! No boost as my clutch was dying. Nothing but idle and cruise you see there, hence "natural" color.

I'm aftermarket EFI, not CIS, 3.2 Carrera.

Yes, I understand all this, been around boosted engines since I owned my 1st car.

What I don't understand is the oil ingestion?

Where is mode of entry?
Old 01-22-2017, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I'm sure someone has asked this question but I didn't see it; why so much boost?
You can make power other ways that do not stress the engine so much.
1. Boost creep with elephant trunk
2. I love whipping V8 cars ass!

Old 01-22-2017, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: