Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
All 24 at once? I'd imagine the thread peaks would be rounded off, no?
I didn't mean the studs, just barrel nuts, washers, sheet metal screws, other things like that on the engine. Although it probably wouldn't damage the threads either. The "tumbler" doesn't really tumble, its more of a vibration and slow rotation. Things woundn't be banging together hard. I've never had a problem.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I didn't mean the studs, just barrel nuts, washers, sheet metal screws, other things like that on the engine. Although it probably wouldn't damage the threads either. The "tumbler" doesn't really tumble, its more of a vibration and slow rotation. Things woundn't be banging together hard. I've never had a problem.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks
Old 01-22-2017, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I'm sure someone has asked this question but I didn't see it; why so much boost?
You can make power other ways that do not stress the engine so much.
if we leave detonation out of the equation then it is the combustion pressure (when everything else equal) that lift the heads, not the boost. If we add extra NA displacement or flow extra to compensate for X bar of extra boost, the same combustion pressure would still be present and result in same head lift
Old 01-22-2017, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Registered

proberly a detonation issue
Old 01-22-2017, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakobM View Post
if we leave detonation out of the equation then it is the combustion pressure (when everything else equal) that lift the heads, not the boost. If we add extra NA displacement or flow extra to compensate for X bar of extra boost, the same combustion pressure would still be present and result in same head lift
Exactly.

For exaggeration purposes, 25PSI of boost through a stock 930 could have lower overall cylinder pressure than an Xtreme headed, DC100 cammed, with ITB engine at 15PSI/1bar.

Purely for making a point, not actual comparos!
Old 01-22-2017, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Registered

Timing affects cylinder pressure. The more advanced the timing the earlier the pressure peaks and if the piston is still coming up the pressure will be much higher than with later timing which puts peak pressure right after TDC when the piston is going down which is where you want it for max power. So you can have lower cylinder pressure and make more power. Twin plug it and retard the timing, problem solved.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
Timing affects cylinder pressure. The more advanced the timing the earlier the pressure peaks and if the piston is still coming up the pressure will be much higher than with later timing which puts peak pressure right after TDC when the piston is going down which is where you want it for max power. So you can have lower cylinder pressure and make more power. Twin plug it and retard the timing, problem solved.
'Tis the plan
Old 01-23-2017, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

For twin plug, I understand that 26 degrees BTDC is a reasonable number for full advance on a normally aspirated engine (some go a couple degrees more, some a couple degrees less). Use the same range for a turbocharged motor?

Old 01-23-2017, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: