Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

i ran Michelin pilots(?) or sports on my 18's. about a 1k for a set. may buy them again.

08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 01-25-2017, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin930t View Post
I just called american tire depot and they have a 315/35/17 for 219.00 per tire but they dont have a 255 245 235.frnts.I know they make them.nitto nt05

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Order them from Home - Discount Tire Direct

- Chris.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin930t View Post
Probably go with the toyo proxies r888,they look good,does anyone know how they grip&ride

I would not recommend them for street use. They will cycle out long before you run out of tread life. Once that happens they will drive like you are driving on ice all the time. Also, there is no rim protector in their design so you need to be careful with them, especially mounting/dismounting. Lastly, they are extremely harsh riding due to a very stiff sidewall.

Really - for 17" fitment 255/315 combo the NT-05 is a good setup.

- Chris.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hams930T View Post
I would not recommend them for street use. They will cycle out long before you run out of tread life.
What does "cycle out" mean? Are you talking about the # of heat cycles on them?

I put these tires on my 16" stock wheels and really like them. They grip very well and seem to be very predictible. I haven't had them on the track, but on the big reducing radius off camber right hander on to the highway near me they don't exhibit any bad habits.

I've got a fair number of suspension mods, and feel every pebble anyway. They don't help with that but they don't seem any worse than the Avons I had on previously.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I have been running 17x9x11 wheels. I have had the Nitto NT05s on them. 235/275 widths. I have been happy with the trade offs between cost (not as much as the NT01s), stickiness, and longevity in my primarily street-driven car. I'm on my 3rd set. The first lasted somewhere between 8-10K miles (didn't keep good records, so I'm not entirely sure), and the second set 12K miles.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

"Cycle Out" means the rubber has gotten old and no longer has the characteristics of a good tire. The rubber is hard and stiff and brittle and slick and dangerous to drive on in any weather condition on any road surface. Rubber only lasts a few years before it starts breaking down.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
I would not recommend them for street use. They will cycle out long before you run out of tread life. Once that happens they will drive like you are driving on ice all the time. Also, there is no rim protector in their design so you need to be careful with them, especially mounting/dismounting. Lastly, they are extremely harsh riding due to a very stiff sidewall.

- Chris.
There is no rim protection..
That bothers me alot for one i dont like the way it looks from the tires edge to th e lip of the rim,I appreciate that info,that really helps me with my decision,darn i really liked the agressive look of the r888s.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

What I want to know is, will those sizes still be available in ten years?
Quote:

- Chris.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_D View Post
"Cycle Out" means the rubber has gotten old and no longer has the characteristics of a good tire. The rubber is hard and stiff and brittle and slick and dangerous to drive on in any weather condition on any road surface. Rubber only lasts a few years before it starts breaking down.
I don't anticipate a set of tires lasting more than 2 years :-)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I drive a single car about 14K miles a year. Can't justify a 60K mile tire, even if I didn't have a staggered setup.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I drive a single car about 14K miles a year. Can't justify a 60K mile tire, even if I didn't have a staggered setup.
How do you get 60k miles on a set of 930 tires? On my 911's as daily drivers I've always planning on replacing the rears every year, and every 2 years on the front.

Seems to be the same on the 930 and I drive < 6,000 miles on it.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

I never said anything about getting 60K miles out of a set of tires on a 930, did I? All I said was, in general, that it would take me almost 5 years to drive 60K miles on a single set of tires, and my experience tells me that tires cycle out beginning around 3 years, so I'd never be able to put 60K miles on a set of tires safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
How do you get 60k miles on a set of 930 tires? On my 911's as daily drivers I've always planning on replacing the rears every year, and every 2 years on the front.

Seems to be the same on the 930 and I drive < 6,000 miles on it.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Administrator

For your sizing I'm not sure, but here is what I've run recently. I'm currently running Continental Extreme Contact DW's. They're a nice quiet daily tire. I haven't really put them to the test though, but they are doing what they need to do and will last longer due to the tread rating vs. what I was running. I run Nitto NT05's on track currently and really haven't been WOWed by them honestly. I'm still trying to find a good tire pressure for them out at the different tracks I run, but I can get them to talk to me sometimes too easily. My favorite, thus far, that I have run on street (mostly) and track would have to be the Dunlop Direzza ZII's. I purchased these right when they discontinued the previous Star Specs so I believe they're now the ZII Star Specs. Anyways, a little more noise when daily driving, but man do they STICK! Was really happy with how they performed. Was a little iffy when it would rain heavily, but nothing that would warrant me to not purchase them again. Some more info on them here: Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

What rim sizes are you running, Luccia?
Old 01-26-2017, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
What rim sizes are you running, Luccia?
I should also note this isn't on a P car. So, you'll definitely want to check tire rack or wherever for sizing info. The NT05's that I run are 255's on a 17x9 wheel. They're strictly on my track wheels and I ran them a few times on the street. The ZII's and DW's are/were 235's on a 17x7.5. The NT05's have maaayybe a track day left on them. Once it's up I'm going to most likely switch them up for the ZII's and see how they do on the wider wheel. I have no doubt in my mind from running them a few times on the track and mostly on the street that they will perform even better. A few of the NASA guys out here run them as well.

I did run the older Star Specs on a 18x10 before they discontinued them. A+ for them as well, but the ZII's that took their place honestly are my favorite over the older version Star Specs.

Edit: OH! I did drive home during a blizzard one night with the track wheels on with the NT05's.. now that was an interesting drive home. hah!

Last edited by Luccia at Pelican Parts; 01-26-2017 at 12:10 PM..
Old 01-26-2017, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

WELL. This CHANGES things. I need a quiet moment or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luccia at Pelican Parts View Post
I should also note this isn't on a P car.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
What I want to know is, will those sizes still be available in ten years?
Mick, are you predicting that it will take that long to get your blue 911 back on the road?!?!
Old 01-26-2017, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

No, but it'll be ready for another set of tires by then I bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Mick, are you predicting that it will take that long to get your blue 911 back on the road?!?!
Old 01-26-2017, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luccia at Pelican Parts View Post
For your sizing I'm not sure, but here is what I've run recently. I'm currently running Continental Extreme Contact DW's. They're a nice quiet daily tire. I haven't really put them to the test though, but they are doing what they need to do and will last longer due to the tread rating vs. what I was running. I run Nitto NT05's on track currently and really haven't been WOWed by them honestly. I'm still trying to find a good tire pressure for them out at the different tracks I run, but I can get them to talk to me sometimes too easily. My favorite, thus far, that I have run on street (mostly) and track would have to be the Dunlop Direzza ZII's. I purchased these right when they discontinued the previous Star Specs so I believe they're now the ZII Star Specs. Anyways, a little more noise when daily driving, but man do they STICK! Was really happy with how they performed. Was a little iffy when it would rain heavily, but nothing that would warrant me to not purchase them again. Some more info on them here: Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec.
Hi Luccia,i am also running continentals and like them as well but i recently bought a set of three piece bbs fuchs and they happen to be 17"&learning that there is not alot of selection out there.The dunlops that you like only go up to a 255/35/17 &thats fine for my fronts,but for my rear wheels i need a 315/35/17.I was looking at getting some hoosiers &they make my sizes but they are 300.00 a tire&wont last long,so i might have to go with nitto nt 555,&aroung 220 per. Tire...I think at this point i dontvcare if there used i just want to put my new wheels on..errrrr

Old 01-26-2017, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
I've been exchanging emails with the technical support staff at Continental Tire. They confirmed the 275, 285 Extreme Contact DW have been discontinued. However, they are coming out with a new series that will be released to distributors in February. Stands to reason that other manufacturers may be doing the same thing, explaining why our choices are so limited.

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-26-2017, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: