Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

That would make things alot easier,i really like the continentals i hope its sooner rather then later,i am getting a little antsy,i judt want to see what these wheels look like on the car..

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Old 01-26-2017, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
They told me the product name will be Extreme Contact SPORT.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 01-26-2017, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_D View Post
WELL. This CHANGES things. I need a quiet moment or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin930t View Post
Hi Luccia,i am also running continentals and like them as well but i recently bought a set of three piece bbs fuchs and they happen to be 17"&learning that there is not alot of selection out there.The dunlops that you like only go up to a 255/35/17 &thats fine for my fronts,but for my rear wheels i need a 315/35/17.I was looking at getting some hoosiers &they make my sizes but they are 300.00 a tire&wont last long,so i might have to go with nitto nt 555,&aroung 220 per. Tire...I think at this point i dontvcare if there used i just want to put my new wheels on..errrrr

Bummer on the ZII's. They're honestly my favorite tire to date right now. My Conti's are on 17" wheels currently. Do they not go up to a large enough size (315's) for your rears? Nitto makes a great tire, don't get me wrong. I think you'll be happy with them and since I mostly drove my NT05's on the track, I really brought them to their limit. I wouldn't recommend Hoosiers for street driving so Nitto should be fine. You can always change it up and do more research on other brands if you don't like them. I started out with tires per recommendations and have changed/altered it each time I'm up to buy new tires.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

... but... but...
Old 01-27-2017, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luccia at Pelican Parts View Post

Bummer on the ZII's. They're honestly my favorite tire to date right now. My Conti's are on 17" wheels currently. Do they not go up to a large enough size (315's) for your rears? Nitto makes a great tire, don't get me wrong. I think you'll be happy with them and since I mostly drove my NT05's on the track, I really brought them to their limit. I wouldn't recommend Hoosiers for street driving so Nitto should be fine. You can always change it up and do more research on other brands if you don't like them. I started out with tires per recommendations and have changed/altered it each time I'm up to buy new tires.
Luccia this is the Hoosier i was looking into,i got really excited about all the comments that people were making about the grip level this tire gives,i also like the agressive look,and then i looked at the price and thought do i really want to spend 3 bills per tire.Maybe..

Old 01-27-2017, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Luccia this is the Hoosier i was looking into,i got really excited about all the comments that people were making about the grip level this tire gives,i also like the agressive look,and then i looked at the price and thought do i really want to spend 3 bills per tire.Maybe..

Ah! Thinking Hoosiers here as in full on slicks! Did you know that Continental acquired Hoosier Racing Tire Corp a few months ago? Continental Acquires Hoosier Racing Tire Corporation | Continental. Anyways, tire rack has them for $258 a tire: CLICK HERE. Lots of red flags about not intended for street driving (treadwear is 60) so not sure I'd run them. You'll also probably not get a lot of use out of them. Read the reviews at that link. Someone said they're pretty dang noisy as well.

Last edited by Luccia at Pelican Parts; 01-27-2017 at 10:15 AM..
Old 01-27-2017, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

I read that they were noisy and wouldnt get alot of use out of them but the good news is that they stick like no other tire that i have searched as far as grip level and that is really what i look for in a tire.Thanks

Old 01-27-2017, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I never said anything about getting 60K miles out of a set of tires on a 930, did I? All I said was, in general, that it would take me almost 5 years to drive 60K miles on a single set of tires, and my experience tells me that tires cycle out beginning around 3 years, so I'd never be able to put 60K miles on a set of tires safely.
I don't know, your post was grammatically ambiguous.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I don't know, your post was grammatically ambiguous.
Nu-uuuhhh.
Quote:
I drive a single car about 14K miles a year. Can't justify a 60K mile tire, even if I didn't have a staggered setup.
No mention of a 930, nowhwere. none. That's not ambiguous.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
I read that they were noisy and wouldnt get alot of use out of them but the good news is that they stick like no other tire that i have searched as far as grip level and that is really what i look for in a tire.Thanks

I wouldn't do that... Have you ever used a Hoosier Rain? If you drive them on dry pavement, especially at highway speeds, you will destroy them in about 200 miles. Serious. They aren't meant for dry pavement at all.

If you really want aggressive grip in a 17" tire then get a set of NT01's size 255/315 combo. You'll spend about $1000 for a set and they are pretty fantastic in anything dry. I wouldn't recommend them on wet pavement. I would expect 5000 miles from them normal driving at best. Fronts will last longer but rears will be done pretty quick. But, for extreme grip they are the closest thing you'll get to moving to a real slick.

The NT05 is a good all-around tire. It offers 70% of the traction of a NT01 at similar price but will hold up substantially longer. With that to say, I can spin them in rolling into boost in 1st, 2nd and 3rd but they are great tires.

- Chris.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
930T Owner

Garage
Quote:
What I want to know is, will those sizes still be available in ten years?
Who knows... I sure hope so.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

The Nitto Motivo is an all-season tire I can vouch for and it's probably available in every size the NT series is. Running a staggered setup you might get 20K miles out of them.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

I have had great luck out of the sumitomo HRTZ 3 ultra high performance tire. You can't beat them for the price.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hams930T View Post
I wouldn't do that... Have you ever used a Hoosier Rain? If you drive them on dry pavement, especially at highway speeds, you will destroy them in about 200 miles. Serious. They aren't meant for dry pavement at all.

If you really want aggressive grip in a 17" tire then get a set of NT01's size 255/315 combo. You'll spend about $1000 for a set and they are pretty fantastic in anything dry. I wouldn't recommend them on wet pavement. I would expect 5000 miles from them normal driving at best. Fronts will last longer but rears will be done pretty quick. But, for extreme grip they are the closest thing you'll get to moving to a real slick.

The NT05 is a good all-around tire. It offers 70% of the traction of a NT01 at similar price but will hold up substantially longer. With that to say, I can spin them in rolling into boost in 1st, 2nd and 3rd but they are great tires.

- Chris.
Chris i will be taking your advice on not purchacing the hoosiers for some reason i thought they were a all season tire &thought they looked cool.I also think that if your car had a 6 speed box in your car you would be able to spin the tires in every gear with all that you have done to your motor,i am seriously jealous.There is a saying in the car world ,speed cost money how fast do you want to go& aparently for you its real fast...sooo cool

Old 02-02-2017, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
I'm about to buy some tires in the next couple weeks. I just want to confirm, all the chatter above about NT05's is in fact about the NT05 and not the NT05R? Correct?
1975 Carrera / 965 tribute w/ 1989 3.3 turbo 8.5:1, custom Evergreen K27 7200, 964 cams, euro CIS, TEC1 dual plug, rarlyL8 headers & hooligan pipe. 915/68 trans, kevlar clutch and lightweight pressure plate.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
I have NT05's on my car. The NT05R is a drag radial and only has a treadwear rating of 00. It is met for 1/4 mile runs. The NT05 street tire has a treadwear rating of 140 for the W speed rated tires. Hopefully my 315/35 x 17 rears will go 5000+ miles.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

I keep saying to look at the Motivo for a daily driver/weekend car. Lasts a lot longer too.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
I want a good tire that I can use on the street but I put most mileage on the car doing track events, driving to and from. So I figured the NT05 would be my best Nitto option in non R compound.
1975 Carrera / 965 tribute w/ 1989 3.3 turbo 8.5:1, custom Evergreen K27 7200, 964 cams, euro CIS, TEC1 dual plug, rarlyL8 headers & hooligan pipe. 915/68 trans, kevlar clutch and lightweight pressure plate.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

yes, a motivo isn't a track tire. It's a street tire. like what the subject of the thread is asking about.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Here's the Continental Tire's latest; Extreme Contact Sport....I wonder how it is in the rain? Looks very much like a dry tire.

ExtremeContactSport link

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 02-11-2017, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: