Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Aftermarket Airbox

Hello to the great Brain-trust here. I have a quick Q for you. I was able to source I believe) AirTEK unit at a very frugal price. I read some posts about fit issues & inability to get to mixture adjustment. But at this price I could not resist. I really want to open up some space in the engine bay. So does anyone have any tips regarding fitment & as to what K&N conical oval mouth filter I may need?? Thanks guys.

Last edited by Alexm930; 01-27-2017 at 05:21 AM..
Old 01-27-2017, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry could not upload my pic. Seems there is a new upload method that I am unfamiliar with.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

You can measure the opening and look on K&N's website.

You can search by just about all criteria. It's labor-some, but you can find what you need if no one has the specs for you.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 01-27-2017, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've never seen a K&N filter with red colored rubber parts. It seems they are always better quality black rubber and round. You need one with the rubber part of the filter molded in an oval shape to fit the long black plastic part.

Some of the red rubber/polyvinyl whatever K&N air filter copies dry rot and fall apart after a short time. They are Asian made junk and don't filter air well.

K&N filters were made in the USA and I don't know if they still are but they are much better quality than the Asian made copies you see on ebay and your local auto parts store..

It's way better to just get the K&N filter that fits the CIS air flow meter housing and then you take a single edge razor blade and cut a little 1/4" V out of the bottom rubber part in between two pleats in the filter element screen for the CIS CO adjustment rod to fit through. Do that right and it fits perfectly. When I bought one years ago it came in a box with the a big stainless steel hose clamp to secure it.

I don't remember the part number at the moment but those are around $45 shipped on amazon and the other internet stores like Summit Racing.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

somebody must have a k & N filter part # for this air box
Have searched the K & N website but nothing
Old 01-28-2017, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Alex, I used to use one of those AirTEK deals years ago - didn't have any problems getting AFRs correct with it, but I sold it, in favor of the air filter on top of the air metering housing that Jim mentioned above, simply because I didn't care for its fit/finish/general appearance. I even made a top plate out of carbon fiber plate so that it wouldn't squish down and look bad when the mount bolts were tightened down.

Butt regardless, the air filter it came with did not have an oval "mouth" - it was round and and simply flexed around the airbox opening and looked oval when installed. So all you would need to do is run a tape measure around the opening, and that will tell you the diameter you need.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thankyou Rawknees
Old 01-29-2017, 12:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the input guys, greatly appreciated. If it were not for the amazing price I got the AireTEK unit for I would have gone the route that JB Fairman used. As for the squishing I will solve that with hollow ferules on the attaching bolts. If the set up is not to my liking I will go the route that JB Fairman posted. Thanks again Gentleman.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I put one on my car last year. There are two things you will need to do to install it. The first is you will need longer studs as the stock ones are not long enough I had trouble finding the 8MM threaded rod so I just bought two 8MM bolts from a local hardware store and used those instead. Also there is no fitting for the fuel return from the WUR so I drilled and tapped a fitting into the side of the air box and made my own. Other than that it is pretty straight forward. I can look for a part number on the air filter for you if you would like me to. Or you can come by and look at the set up yourself if you want
Old 01-30-2017, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Mike80911, I am in Long Beach Nassau County. Where are you?

Old 02-01-2017, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: