Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/)
-   -   Is the Porsche 930 the worlds best sportscar ? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/944181-porsche-930-worlds-best-sportscar.html)

Jerry S 01-29-2017 06:56 PM

Is the Porsche 930 the worlds best sportscar ?
 
Can it be ? I know, there are a lot of stiff competitors, but if you just look at all of th variables, is it possible that it could be one of the very best ?

"old school" means easier maintenance, better sounds, and sexy classic looks.

Any thoughts around. After over a dozen years of ownership, there is still no boredom.

https://youtu.be/zU8jcs_37cY

Mick_D 01-29-2017 07:39 PM

never heard of it.

Bucketlist 01-30-2017 03:39 AM

After a "Car Show Judge" said my turbo was a VW on steroids I had to change my show card to get their attention.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1485779596.jpg

flightlead404 01-30-2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Euro (Post 9452745)
After a "Car Show Judge" said my turbo was a VW on steroids I had to change my show card to get their attention.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1485779596.jpg

I've heard that comment several times before too. A gas station attendant (yeah, a real font of wisdom) said it the other day in fact. Why? Because they are both rear wheel drive, oil cooled, German cars.

So by that measurement a Chevette and a Corvette are the same. Even more so as they are both the same manufacturer and likely have some parts commonality like VW and Porsche have other years.

Douches

Jeff NJ 01-30-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flightlead404 (Post 9453623)
I've heard that comment several times before too. A gas station attendant (yeah, a real font of wisdom) said it the other day in fact. Why? Because they are both rear wheel drive, oil cooled, German cars.

So by that measurement a Chevette and a Corvette are the same. Even more so as they are both the same manufacturer and likely have some parts commonality like VW and Porsche have other years.

Douches

In my opinion, comments linking a 911 to a beetle are nothing more than jealousy and ignorance, usually both. Easily ignored by me because we all know that given a choice, which one the ignorant commenter would choose to drive.

Of course, there is a big connection to the two - Ferdinand Porsche helped design the Beetle, but we know the mouth breather at the gas station has no idea about that.

gsxrken 01-30-2017 04:26 PM

I have always enjoyed the VW comparison as well, since I love the Beetle. My mom said I used to excitedly point out every Beetle I saw well before I could talk. And the Herbie the Love Bug Rides Again was the first movie I can recall seeing in a theater, in 1974 at 8 years old.
So yeah call it a Volkswagen for all I care. They're very cool cars too

Matt Monson 01-30-2017 04:34 PM

Yes to the base question.

As for the Beetle? I've always considered it the Porsche Hitler stole.

Rawknees'Turbo 01-30-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Monson (Post 9453891)

As for the Beetle? I've always considered it the Porsche Hitler stole.

I've always considered them a girls' car, no wonder Ken has one !!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

full quack 01-30-2017 04:52 PM

Now wait a minute Raw's..

I've got a '66 bug that I use as my trail head car. They are great on dirt roads, you can fix them with a handful of simple spare parts that you keep in the car.

Plus since they are old with no electronics or air bags in them to steal, the trail head car prowler thieves don't even give them a first look, let alone a second glance.

Bugs have their use and place.

Mark

Matt Monson 01-30-2017 04:53 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LnvzCUIgXTQ

Rawknees'Turbo 01-30-2017 04:56 PM

True story - Ken and Mark have matching Bugs (Mark's pictured below).

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7e9f55a6a2.jpg

Jim2 01-30-2017 06:38 PM

Better click bait:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_CCxhULUNk&feature=youtu.be



.

RarlyL8 01-31-2017 04:03 AM

The 930 may be the world's coolest sports car, but by no stretch is it the best. That is way to subjective.

flightlead404 01-31-2017 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo (Post 9453904)
I've always considered them a girls' car, no wonder Ken has one !!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

hahaha, no, that's the karmann Ghia (or is that Carmen Gear lol)

flightlead404 01-31-2017 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by full quack (Post 9453923)
Now wait a minute Raw's..

I've got a '66 bug that I use as my trail head car. They are great on dirt roads, you can fix them with a handful of simple spare parts that you keep in the car.

Plus since they are old with no electronics or air bags in them to steal, the trail head car prowler thieves don't even give them a first look, let alone a second glance.

Bugs have their use and place.

Mark

True. In college we had one that we put together out of three cars from the junkyard. Passenger seat was an upturned milk crate. Clutch was operated by a pull cable on the A pillar, and disposal of empties was easy as there was little to no floorboard.

Had cool Fuchs knock offs though! (And "Free Nelson Mandela" spray painted on the side)

JFairman 01-31-2017 06:29 AM

If you narrow it down to best sports car made in Germany before 1995 then it is.
Then the 964 turbo came along and it has better rear suspension but it's heavier and more complicated in some areas so best sports car opinions may vary but the quality is still hard to beat.

Fast Freddy 944 01-31-2017 06:33 AM

Its simple as a pimple, the Vw was first, and pappy Porsch developed it, its the worlds most highest selling and desired car, bar none. A vw a chic's car? Depends on your perspective, I know some gals down here that ride or rode bulls who love vw's. The sports car that was derived from the vw, is the 356, a highly prized car for the richy rich collectors, good luck getting a nice 356. Then the iconic 911 popped on the scene, and viola there you have it. As far as being the best sports car of all time, nah, there are others, enjoy what you have, and have a blast.:Dhttp://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1485876821.jpg

Rawknees'Turbo 01-31-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flightlead404 (Post 9454559)
hahaha, no, that's the karmann Ghia (or is that Carmen Gear lol)

Agreed - it's hard to believe that a man has ever ridden bisch in a KG, much less driven one - talk about a Barbie mobile!

full quack 01-31-2017 09:58 AM

My wife being from Thailand would possibly like the "Hello Kitty" paint scheme.

But since I only wash mine once ever 3 years or so, you would never see the paint job anyway.

Mark

Rawknees'Turbo 01-31-2017 03:33 PM

Mark, a Thai woman driving a Hello Kitty painted Bug, Ghia or Boxster is a very attractive sight!!! Does your wife have a sister?!?! :)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2020 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website


DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.