Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Is the Porsche 930 the worlds best sportscar ?

Can it be ? I know, there are a lot of stiff competitors, but if you just look at all of th variables, is it possible that it could be one of the very best ?

"old school" means easier maintenance, better sounds, and sexy classic looks.

Any thoughts around. After over a dozen years of ownership, there is still no boredom.

https://youtu.be/zU8jcs_37cY

TURBO = Free Power
Old 01-29-2017, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

never heard of it.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bucketlist

Garage
After a "Car Show Judge" said my turbo was a VW on steroids I had to change my show card to get their attention.

1981 SC Steel Widebody, DP Lid, 930/51 to 3.2l, K27 7006 Turbo, DOD, P&P Twin Plug heads, Twinfire Ignition, Ruf Intercooler, Powerhaus headers, Zork, CIS Euro FD, 009 injectors, 044 pump, BLwur, 930 4 sp LSD, Mocal 44 w/fan, LM2, Brembo, Retroair, Euromeisters
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car. Sold
Old 01-30-2017, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Euro View Post
After a "Car Show Judge" said my turbo was a VW on steroids I had to change my show card to get their attention.

I've heard that comment several times before too. A gas station attendant (yeah, a real font of wisdom) said it the other day in fact. Why? Because they are both rear wheel drive, oil cooled, German cars.

So by that measurement a Chevette and a Corvette are the same. Even more so as they are both the same manufacturer and likely have some parts commonality like VW and Porsche have other years.

Douches
Old 01-30-2017, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I've heard that comment several times before too. A gas station attendant (yeah, a real font of wisdom) said it the other day in fact. Why? Because they are both rear wheel drive, oil cooled, German cars.

So by that measurement a Chevette and a Corvette are the same. Even more so as they are both the same manufacturer and likely have some parts commonality like VW and Porsche have other years.

Douches
In my opinion, comments linking a 911 to a beetle are nothing more than jealousy and ignorance, usually both. Easily ignored by me because we all know that given a choice, which one the ignorant commenter would choose to drive.

Of course, there is a big connection to the two - Ferdinand Porsche helped design the Beetle, but we know the mouth breather at the gas station has no idea about that.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have always enjoyed the VW comparison as well, since I love the Beetle. My mom said I used to excitedly point out every Beetle I saw well before I could talk. And the Herbie the Love Bug Rides Again was the first movie I can recall seeing in a theater, in 1974 at 8 years old.
So yeah call it a Volkswagen for all I care. They're very cool cars too
Old 01-30-2017, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

gearhead

Yes to the base question.

As for the Beetle? I've always considered it the Porsche Hitler stole.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-30-2017, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post

As for the Beetle? I've always considered it the Porsche Hitler stole.
I've always considered them a girls' car, no wonder Ken has one !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2017, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Now wait a minute Raw's..

I've got a '66 bug that I use as my trail head car. They are great on dirt roads, you can fix them with a handful of simple spare parts that you keep in the car.

Plus since they are old with no electronics or air bags in them to steal, the trail head car prowler thieves don't even give them a first look, let alone a second glance.

Bugs have their use and place.

Mark
Old 01-30-2017, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
gearhead

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LnvzCUIgXTQ
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-30-2017, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

True story - Ken and Mark have matching Bugs (Mark's pictured below).

Old 01-30-2017, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1 > 7.0:1

Garage
Better click bait:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_CCxhULUNk&feature=youtu.be

Old 01-30-2017, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The 930 may be the world's coolest sports car, but by no stretch is it the best. That is way to subjective.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
I've always considered them a girls' car, no wonder Ken has one !!!!!!!!!!!
hahaha, no, that's the karmann Ghia (or is that Carmen Gear lol)
Old 01-31-2017, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Now wait a minute Raw's..

I've got a '66 bug that I use as my trail head car. They are great on dirt roads, you can fix them with a handful of simple spare parts that you keep in the car.

Plus since they are old with no electronics or air bags in them to steal, the trail head car prowler thieves don't even give them a first look, let alone a second glance.

Bugs have their use and place.

Mark
True. In college we had one that we put together out of three cars from the junkyard. Passenger seat was an upturned milk crate. Clutch was operated by a pull cable on the A pillar, and disposal of empties was easy as there was little to no floorboard.

Had cool Fuchs knock offs though! (And "Free Nelson Mandela" spray painted on the side)
Old 01-31-2017, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

If you narrow it down to best sports car made in Germany before 1995 then it is.
Then the 964 turbo came along and it has better rear suspension but it's heavier and more complicated in some areas so best sports car opinions may vary but the quality is still hard to beat.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Kessel run in 12 parsecs!

Garage
Its simple as a pimple, the Vw was first, and pappy Porsch developed it, its the worlds most highest selling and desired car, bar none. A vw a chic's car? Depends on your perspective, I know some gals down here that ride or rode bulls who love vw's. The sports car that was derived from the vw, is the 356, a highly prized car for the richy rich collectors, good luck getting a nice 356. Then the iconic 911 popped on the scene, and viola there you have it. As far as being the best sports car of all time, nah, there are others, enjoy what you have, and have a blast.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
hahaha, no, that's the karmann Ghia (or is that Carmen Gear lol)
Agreed - it's hard to believe that a man has ever ridden bisch in a KG, much less driven one - talk about a Barbie mobile!
Old 01-31-2017, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
My wife being from Thailand would possibly like the "Hello Kitty" paint scheme.

But since I only wash mine once ever 3 years or so, you would never see the paint job anyway.

Mark
Old 01-31-2017, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Mark, a Thai woman driving a Hello Kitty painted Bug, Ghia or Boxster is a very attractive sight!!! Does your wife have a sister?!?!

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 01-31-2017 at 04:40 PM..
Old 01-31-2017, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: