Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
^^^

The video is designated "private" so no one can view it, bub.
Gone to the brains trust rawness.
My son has sorted the link and it should be viewable.

Now the rebuilder had me speak to another tech and he wants to know the engine oil pressure as he is telling me that there is possibly too much pressure being fed into the turbo. His fix is to restrict the amount of flow this sounds like complete BULL**** to me as I told him that it had no problem with the engine oil pressure prior to the air nozzel tip breakage. His reasoning is that the tolerances are different after a turbo is rebuilt, again more bull**** as they state it has been rebuilt to the manufactures tolerances.

From what I understand there is little pressure feeding oil to the turbo.
To come back at this guy I would like to know how the oil is fed to the turbo, and how much pressure is likely to be feeding oil to the turbo.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
With a little more research I have found that the oil feed line should already be restricted. If this is the case why would I need to install a second restrictor?
Old 03-31-2017, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

The K27 has the same oil needs as the stock 3ldz, so unless you or someone else touched it, you are good. However, they do get stuck or even removed, so you need to check the ball. I am pretty sure it is up by the breather cover on the top of the motor where the oil pressure switch is located. There are many threads here that document how it works and what it should look like.

Check that out before assuming it is correct.
Why did you get your turbo rebuilt in the first place? Maybe whatever caused that one to fail is still an issue?
Old 03-31-2017, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff NJ View Post
The K27 has the same oil needs as the stock 3ldz, so unless you or someone else touched it, you are good. However, they do get stuck or even removed, so you need to check the ball. I am pretty sure it is up by the breather cover on the top of the motor where the oil pressure switch is located. There are many threads here that document how it works and what it should look like.

Check that out before assuming it is correct.
Why did you get your turbo rebuilt in the first place? Maybe whatever caused that one to fail is still an issue?
Hi Jeff,
The PO deleted the smog stuff leaving the air nozzles in place and plug them up with something like JB weld. The tip of one of the nozzles broke off and went through the turbo damaging the turbine wheel and then the turbo.
I have since deleted them and replaced them with parts from pelican.

So if the ball gets stuck can that let too much oil through to the turbo. The flow through the drip tank appears normal compared to the others I have seen. The rebuilder is saying there could be too much oil pressure going to the turbo???
Old 03-31-2017, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

I am really not sure the rate of suckage Rawknees is the pro,butt it looks like its suckin although be it slow and steady.Man i am getting worked up.haha

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2017, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
Oil system appears to be working, good lot of smoke, looks like my RZ500 at idle.
Hope you get it sorted
Old 03-31-2017, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin930t View Post
I am really not sure the rate of suckage Rawknees is the pro,butt it looks like its suckin although be it slow and steady.Man i am getting worked up.haha

Hi Kevin,
I know it is a bit hard to see however at idle the level was consistent and when given a little acceleration the suck rate increased.

Will have to wait and see what rawknees has to say about his sucking prowess.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

I here he can suck the chrome off a bumper.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timspu View Post
Oil system appears to be working, good lot of smoke, looks like my RZ500 at idle.
Hope you get it sorted
Thanks timspu,
It's a work in progress. And I am doing the best I can to sort it out.
I would be getting nowhere without the help from the forum.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I here he can suck the chrome off a bumper.

That's some wild lung capacity.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Have you tryed getting in touch
with jon.p guy Peter Fyfe.I would also jeff has a good point and it doesnt hurt to check.How long did it take for the org turbo to let go?

Old 03-31-2017, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Thats right tip of the nozzle went through

Old 03-31-2017, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

I would call another reputable builder that deals with these turbos,or maybe call chris at turbo kraft,i believe he is located in mesa arizona.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I would call another reputable builder that deals with these turbos,or maybe call chris at turbo kraft,i believe he is located in mesa arizona.

I will remove the intercooler and air filter housing today to determine the state of the oil line restrictor, they need to be cleaned anyways.

Is it possible that the engine oil pressure would be 60psi or greater as I have no idea what druck pressure measures. On the gauge that goes from 0 to 5 it never has got to or passed 5 so should the increments be 10 psi each the engine would never be running at 60psi.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Thats right tip . . . went through

Just the ?!?!

About the ball (hardy har har) that is in the shared fitting with the low oil pressure light sending unit and the turbo oil supply line - that is not really a restrictor, but is actually there to help stop oil from continuing to flow into the trubocharger after engine shutdown (via gravity, etc) - when the engine is running, oil pressure raises the ball, and when the engine stops, the ball returns to its seat and help blocks oil flow. This helps limit the amount of oil that could potentially sit in the super heated bearing cartridge and coke-up (like Kevin, back in the day! ) after shutdown.

The 3K turbos do not use oil supply restrictors - the turbo shop is full of it if they are saying that they do, or that one maybe should be added.

I don't know the exact amount of pressure at the bearing cartridge, but it is not significant - a lot of flow/volume but not a lot of pressure. The pressure is determined by the size of the oil passage in the case where the shared fitting screws in - no way has something changed with your engine to increase pressure.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 03-31-2017 at 12:09 PM..
Old 03-31-2017, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Smart man

Old 03-31-2017, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

***forum dating***

SBK, to follow up on what I mentioned earlier about how I can relate; years ago, I bought a brand new, 3K based turbocharger, and it lasted about 5 minutes before blowing oil similar to how yours is. I sent it back to the manufacturer, he blamed me for the failure (damaged bearings which destroyed the seals), and charged me for a new bearing assembly (at a much reduced cost, however), and the turbo has worked flawlessly ever since (about 7 years or so). I am sure that I did not damage the bearings, but not much I could do about it since I had so much money already tied up in the thing. My guess, is that it was not balanced correctly upon assembly and that destroyed the bearings right away. I bet that is the same situation with yours, as well.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 03-31-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Old 03-31-2017, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
^^^

***forum dating***

SBK, to follow up on what I mentioned earlier about how I can relate; years ago, I bought a brand new, 3K based turbocharger, and it lasted about 5 minutes before blowing oil similar to how yours is. I sent it back to the manufacturer, he blamed me for the failure (damaged bearings which destroyed the seals), and charged me for a new bearing assembly (at a much reduced cost, however), and the turbo has worked flawlessly ever since (about 7 years or so). I am sure that I did not damage the bearings, but not much I could do about it since I had so much money already tied up in the thing. My guess, is that it was not balanced correctly upon assembly and that destroyed the bearings right away. I bet that is the same situation with yours, as well.
Thanks mate,
Mine will be on a truck on its way back come Monday as I too have too much $$$$ put into it already. And any company should honour their work if they are to be reputable.
I just can not understand the rebuilder suggesting that if I have 60psi or greater oil pressure in the feed to the turbo I should restrict it.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

If that fails ( or even before you send it to get an idea ) ring Peter Fyfe, he is the best in Australia end of story
Old 03-31-2017, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john p View Post
If that fails ( or even before you send it to get an idea ) ring Peter Fyfe, he is the best in Australia end of story
Hello John,
Do you know if Peter works at Turbotech Perth. If not how could I contact him.
Thanks Steve.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: