Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My opinion? Your rebuilder is using crap Chinese rebuild parts and it will just keep happening.
Really sucks man.

Send it to Durabilt in chicago. I know its far away, but they will fix it right using the real parts.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff NJ View Post
My opinion? Your rebuilder is using crap Chinese rebuild parts and it will just keep happening.
Really sucks man.

Send it to Durabilt in chicago. I know its far away, but they will fix it right using the real parts.
Hi Jeff,
The rebuilder is an authorised repairer and say the rebuild meets the manufacturers specs. I just can not understand what is the cause if they are using Borg Warner parts.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK930 View Post
Hi Jeff,
The rebuilder is an authorised repairer and say the rebuild meets the manufacturers specs. I just can not understand what is the cause if they are using Borg Warner parts.
Meeting manufacturer specs does not necessarily equal using borg warner parts. I know I'm being sceptical, but this isn't rocket science and two failed rebuilds means they are using crap parts, or they don't know what they are doing. If your scavenge pump is working, failing after 5 minutes of run time can only be a poor rebuild in my opinion.

Maybe ask for proof where they buy their parts and who made them?

You think these parts are legit for $38?
KKK K27 5327-711-0055 5327-711-0053 Turbo charger Rebuild Repair Service Kit | eBay
Old 04-22-2017, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff NJ View Post
Meeting manufacturer specs does not necessarily equal using borg warner parts. I know I'm being sceptical, but this isn't rocket science and two failed rebuilds means they are using crap parts, or they don't know what they are doing. If your scavenge pump is working, failing after 5 minutes of run time can only be a poor rebuild in my opinion.

Maybe ask for proof where they buy their parts and who made them?

You think these parts are legit for $38?
KKK K27 5327-711-0055 5327-711-0053 Turbo charger Rebuild Repair Service Kit | eBay
Tested the oil circuit and it looked fine to me.
I feel I should send the turbo to someone else and see what they say about the rebuild and parts used because I do not think I will get far with these guys.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c4R8Tv207u0
Old 04-23-2017, 01:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

High speed spin balancing after static balancing is a good thing too.
Durabilt has the high speed VSR balancing machine and most turbo rebuilders do not because they are very expensive.
Durabilt-Turbo.com - www.durabilt-turbo.com

Durabilt is where Professional race teams send their turbos to be rebuilt in the USA.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Garage
In today's media anybody can claim anything. Do not waste another email, phone call or dollar with these guys. Write it off as a learning experience and move on. Buy a new, verified non Chinese turbo, through a reputable source. Chris or Brian should be able to hook you up with a turbo that is factory fresh and not defective.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73 View Post
In today's media anybody can claim anything. Do not waste another email, phone call or dollar with these guys. Write it off as a learning experience and move on. Buy a new, verified non Chinese turbo, through a reputable source. Chris or Brian should be able to hook you up with a turbo that is factory fresh and not defective.
Chris or Brian can also give you recommendations for reputable shops that will use the correct parts and stand behind their service.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Garage
Hey SBK930 i had my 3LDZ rebuilt here in melbourne , when started i had smoke for about 3 10min drives only at idle , now nothing and pulling hard , i bought from tubokraft thr new oil line and check valve which is great (eastern turbocharger services) hope this helps
Old 05-15-2017, 01:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Garage
Latest update is the turbo is now getting a 270 degree thrust bearing.
I have no idea what was in it previously.
Fingers crossed this rectifies the puking oil issue.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

So now you know it definitely the TURBO

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

Garage
Update on this repair.
So the rebuilder has rebuilt the turbo for a third time (without charge) thank goodness. From what I have obtained from them is that a 270 degree thrust bearing is now in place. I have installed it and double checked the oil circulation circuit and sorted out the oil level. All appears to be working.
I do wonder how long it is likely to smoke?
As there is obviously a lot of oil through the entire system even after I cleaned as much as I could without removing the exhaust (I really did not want broken studs).
I have good oil pressure but when I give a little acceleration it starts smoking worse.
It has been run 3 times now for around 25 minutes, should I be concerned????

Last edited by SBK930; 06-01-2017 at 02:40 PM..
Old 06-01-2017, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

I know you don't want to here this ,but it sounds like you have another bad rebuild.I hope thats not the case.I would drive the car and get it to operating temp and see if thevsmoke disapates.Man i would be pulling the last 4 hairs out of my head.Let us know whats going on.Kevin

Old 06-01-2017, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

You might want to get a hold of jon p here,i believe he is in your kneck of the woods.He is a expert although he wont admit it.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin930t View Post
I know you don't want to here this ,but it sounds like you have another bad rebuild.I hope thats not the case.I would drive the car and get it to operating temp and see if thevsmoke disapates.Man i would be pulling the last 4 hairs out of my head.Let us know whats going on.Kevin

Hair is all but gone now Kevin.
Started picking holes in my scalp and skull as I am feeling meth would be better to do than this freakin turbo.
Started it again today with no smoke on startup until it gets warm then she gets a little like a Cuban, when you get into it she blows more smoke than when you are gentle on her.
When cooled, off with the muffler and intercooler and I will have a better idea if it's the turbo again or something else.

AAAARRRR
Can feel that itchin and a pickin again.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

For a long distance (in miles and years ) point of comparison, back when my brand new, aftermarket turbo began spewing oil, five minutes after first start up, I did not take any steps to clean the inside of the muffler, or any of the other exhaust plumbing (mine leaked into the turbine housing, for the most part . . . nothing like yours has done into the compressor side), and when the turbo came back following repairs, I do not remember any smoke at all after the first warm up.

The turbo let go in a shop I was working at over one summer, and I drove it home anyway (about 20 miles of unbelievably embarrassing clouds of smoke following me), so quite a bit of oil went into the muffler at that time.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 06-01-2017 at 08:19 PM..
Old 06-01-2017, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

For me, the smoke stopped almost immediately after installing rebuilt turbo. I did very little cleanup either.

Bummer.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

I am sure money has alot to do with it and if i had a extra turbo laying around i would send it your way,at this point i would contact one of are fine fellow pelican buddies like chris at turbo kraft or brian at rarely 8 i am sure they can help you.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK930 View Post
Hair is all but gone now Kevin.
Started picking holes in my scalp and skull as I am feeling meth would be better to do than this freakin turbo.
Started it again today with no smoke on startup until it gets warm then she gets a little like a Cuban, when you get into it she blows more smoke than when you are gentle on her.
When cooled, off with the muffler and intercooler and I will have a better idea if it's the turbo again or something else.

AAAARRRR
Can feel that itchin and a pickin again.
I once had a muffler from another 930 with bad bearings in the turbo, but the owner kept driving it even though it was smoking. When I installed this muffler on my car it behaved EXACTLY as you describe. I took the muffler off but turbine was dry, I then pulled the compressor housing but it too was dry on the inside. I then took a zip disk and sliced the end cover off the muffler and discovered a thick greasy mess all over inside the muffler. Looked like it was going to take forever to burn off. I ended up borrowing a propane tiger torch and stuck it into the muffler inlet and cooked the oil out of it for a half hour. Though I did this in an industrial area Im surprised the fire department didn't show up from the amout of smoke, huge plume of white smoke billowed out of it for about 20 minutes.

When I put the muffler back on, no smoke at all!
Old 06-01-2017, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

That's a good point though Jim.
Pull off the muffler and see if the turbo is dry. if so, then you must have a LOT of oil in your muffler. If its very wet, that's new oil and the seals are shot.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

Yep, especially considering his turbo was pumping () so much oil out of it that it filled the combustion chambers - muffler probably severely coated (like Jeff's "tailpipe" ).
Old 06-01-2017, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: