Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

extended tails

Does anyone know if someone makes an extended tail that uses the original rubber lip style (in fiberglas is ok) like the red one below but extends out over the rear bumper like the 935 white one below?. I want the extension over the bumper but the original style wing look. Am already thinking about the next project.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I have two DP extended tails with Turbo rubber lips.

one is excellent and will go on my 78 930 project. the car had one but was damaged by the small engine bay fire, intend to make a mold out of the good one to have the other repaired.

now sure what you are looking for, but I would consider selling the damaged tale.

here are a few pics.

pic from PO before damage. I have that rubber lip that is in good shape.

pics of the damage.

86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I'm looking for one where the bottom lip extends out into the bumper like on the Martini car. Yours looks like the red one on top where the lip is even with the back of the fenders.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The red one is my car and was a custom job to make the carrera lip fit. If you are good with fiberglass you can do it...
55 Belair
40 Ford pickup
Old 04-01-2017, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

That is a very nice car. I suppose I could buy one of those DP 935 tails and cut the wing off and graft on the rubber lip.. I'm looking at rear mount twin turbos but want mufflers so need room.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

A.I.R. still sells both of them....
Old 04-01-2017, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Here is another dp Kremer tail.

73 Porsche 914-6 GT Tribute w/ PMS 2.7 motor
69 Porsche 911E fully restored
Old 04-01-2017, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Both from AIR
Old 04-01-2017, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Old car guy.....

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJF View Post
A.I.R. still sells both of them....
These seem to be completely fiberglass/composite unlike mine with the rubber lip. I doubt it matters though with an aftermarket tail and the correct paint job. I will file this for the day I decide to replace my poorly moulded specimen for a new one.
1981 SC Steel Widebody, DP Lid, 930/51 to 3.2l, K27 7006 Turbo, DOD, P&P Twin Plug heads, Twinfire Ignition, Ruf Intercooler, Powerhaus headers, Zork, CIS Euro FD, 009 injectors, 044 pump, BLwur, 930 4 sp LSD, Mocal 44 w/fan, LM2, Brembo, Retroair, Euromeisters
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car. Sold
Old 04-02-2017, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Yes, I have seen all of those. Perhaps my pic of the Martini car doesn't show it well. The first pic below shows what I'm talking about better. See how the lid is extended out over the rear bumper, that's what I want but with the 930 lip. The second pic shows what I am looking at. Cut out the sheet metal rear cross member and fab a tube in it's place like was done in this car. Then mount the two turbos up high with exhaust exiting towards the center then do a 180 down into a muffler below and behind each turbo. Actually a combination hanger/cross member could be fabbed so you don't need both like in this pic. One piece would both support the engine and act as a stiffener between each side of the monocoque. That second pic doesn't look like it has a rear tube subframe like you see on most 935s? You can actually see where the bottom of the lid was rubbing on the bumper, cut the bumper out on the inside of the lid and between that and no cross member a lot of space is opened up for mounting twins and mufflers.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

So you want the DP extended tail with the 930 lip, but with the lower rear section of a 935 rear wing so the lower back section is flush with the rear bumper. Then mount the turbos roughly at the level of the tail lights which would be Enclosed inside the new extended tail. That would give you all the original room open under the rear valence.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Here's two interesting shots. This has a very heavy hanger, looks like 1/4 carbon steel. Look at the tubular cross member, it has an arched tube that ties into both ends to resist bending moment in the fore and aft direction. That same principle could be applied to the hanger with a cross piece between the horizontals before it drops down to pick up the engine studs. And an arched tube could be added that ties into both ends. With that done the cross member would no longer be needed, at least on a street car. To do this though the mounting points of the hanger to the monocoque would have to be modified to incorporate a gusset that is 90 deg to the hanger and ties into the monocoque laterals. If not the hanger will just pivot around the single vertical hanger bolt.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

So you want the DP extended tail with the 930 lip, but with the lower rear section of a 935 rear wing so the lower back section is flush with the rear bumper. Then mount the turbos roughly at the level of the tail lights which would be Enclosed inside the new extended tail. That would give you all the original room open under the rear valence.

Yes, that's what I'm looking at. I've taken a few measurements and think it will work. Kind of hate to cut up the sheet metal but it's a hot rod, that's what I bought it for. Purists need not apply
Old 04-02-2017, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

The possible problem with a combination hanger/cross brace is it would require solid mounts to work right. Either that or incorporate some kind of elastomer mounts into the hanger at each of the four engine studs.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Ok, you'll need a DP style tail... But your gonna have to custom build the lower rear section yourself. If you have composite/fiberglass experience this is a real easy build to add to the DP tail. The possibilities are endless.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

I have enough experience to get me into trouble..
Old 04-02-2017, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Here is a one piece hanger/cross member, you can see how much space that opens up. Looks like it is tied into the laterals with a single fastener on each side, most likely solid, I doubt they want a cross member moving around in a rubber mount. Not ideal for a street car though.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: