Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftday View Post
Hi Uncle Billy, yes I have some real hands on experience with using, selling, designing Porsche oil coolers, hundreds over the years. ]
Care to enlighten us as to what CAD package you are running for the design of these Porsche Oil Coolers? Also, what CFD package you are running for your flow analysis and heat transfer calcs?

I'm not calling BS... ok maybe I am... just a little.

Over selling products is a far cry from engineering or design.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

In case someone has plans to modify a Mazda Cooler or similar and wants full flow, I have these M30 Alum Weld Bungs available.............

To convert a Mazda Cooler to a Flow-Through design, I also offer this in M30............

Here is a hose being made up to connect the factory front fender cooler with a second center cooler........

With the correct Crimp of course...........

Please email me for information......

Len at Autosportengineering dot com

Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Scottsdale Arizona USA

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebilly View Post
Care to enlighten us as to what CAD package you are running for the design of these Porsche Oil Coolers? Also, what CFD package you are running for your flow analysis and heat transfer calcs?

I'm not calling BS... ok maybe I am... just a little.

Over selling products is a far cry from engineering or design.
Unclebill, thanks for annoyingly sharing your resume and you seem to be stuck on this Mazda cooler option. If you must know, I have degrees / certs in manufacturing engineering, industrial design, quality control, machinist work background, Unigraphics / Siemens NX / Solidworks / CMM, etc.. and I've been in the Porsche and Motorsport industry since around Y2K. It's kind of what I do... I continue to not care about your choice of heat exchanger. If I was bullying you, you would know it. Stop playing victim and don't test me. Instead, watch your tone, be cool and constructive in here.

Now based on my experience I don't require FEA reports to form the option that having a small feed and return fitting is a smart choice for this application. Yes the factory oil thermostat has internally smaller I.D. ports about the same size as -12AN. That is larger than 9.5mm. I respect the original system engineering and value it's baseline performance. That being said, I'm open to all more efficient options.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Scottsdale Arizona USA

Garage
Here is another nice Fluidine cooler we did the other day.. not for a Porsche but another racecar.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
ok I was thinking of adding a cooler in one of my rear fender vents. whats the part number of the coolers and fittings? I only wanted to get one cooler. ..oh yeah and a thermostat. I removed the front fender cooler when i put the slant nose fenders on and put a center mount cooler in the air dam. But in slow traffic and sometimes at the track it's not enough.
Ken, I looked to see if I still had the boxes for my oil coolers to get the part numbers for you. I do not have them anymore. I looked on Summit racing's website, and found these. I do not know if these are the exact ones I have or not, but these look close to what I have. Mine are dual pass as well.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fld-db-30417/overview/
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 04-21-2017, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I have done a great deal of testing and optimization of orifice diameters to optimize and balance flow in downhole tools...
Paging Rawknees in 3...2...1...
Old 04-21-2017, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post
Ken, I looked to see if I still had the boxes for my oil coolers to get the part numbers for you. I do not have them anymore. I looked on Summit racing's website, and found these. I do not know if these are the exact ones I have or not, but these look close to what I have. Mine are dual pass as well.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fld-db-30417/overview/
thanks!!
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 04-21-2017, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Another nice oil cooler you can get in a salvage yard is the one from an old Jaguar sedan with the 6 cylinder engine. I got one real cheap in a local U pull it salvage yard years ago.

I filled it with mineral spirits, shook it around until I was sore to clean it out, made up some aeroquip stainless braided lines with 90 degree fittings, and installed it in a hot rod BMW 320i with a 3.5 liter 6 cylinder motor I used to drive around.
That car was black with no AC here in S. Florida so summer driving sucked but it was fast.
These days it's rotting away in my driveway and I store stuff in it.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
. . . I have done a great deal of testing and optimization of orifice diameters to optimize and balance flow in downhole tools . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocker View Post
Paging Rawknees in 3...2...1...

Ohhhh lordy! Such kink, such smut!

Old 04-22-2017, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I had another thread on here using an aftermarket new Mazda cooler and len's fittings and lines, modified to run straight through...

Drove on it 3 times so far, works great. Car never goes past the first line, at least at 70 degrees. 1st track day this Friday.

New cooler, $80 or so.

Looks very stock. My oil pressure actually went up. That I don't understand. Used to have a smudge below 4 bar most of the time. Now it's a smudge above... Must be the oil temp drop.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

The Mazda cooler can not be fender mounted, it is for a front center location.

For a cooler with AN-12 fittings do a search on eBay. Lots of inexpensive choices from the UK, though most likely they are made in China.

For one made in USA look at the Earls or Mocal products, they both have many to choose from. AND, the AN-12 Fluidyne cooler from Summit Racing posted by turbobrat (Brad) above looks like the best of all.

Len

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 04-30-2017 at 10:25 AM..
Old 04-30-2017, 12:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: