Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
270 degree thrust bearing success.

Well at least it's looking that way so far.

Installed the 3rd time rebuilt k27 7006 back into my baby today.
The rebuilder used a 270 degree thrust bearing this time, only after I sent a warranty claim and explained to them that the Borg Warner upgrade thrust bearing could be the problem as I had learnt from some of the posters here at pelican.

To note: I found while running the engine it appears there is far less oil running through the turbo and into the drip tank. So much so that the scavenge pump sucked the container virtually dry. Whereas previously the scavenge pump just kept up with the oil flow out of the drip tank. Not sure what to make of this.

Here is a short vid of it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcWojLbY7g
Old 05-26-2017, 12:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

that might be a good thing.
if there was too much play in the bearings the oil could have been going thru them too fast. it seemed like the oil coming out of my new turbo was slow too. 7006.

was there any shaft play on the last rebuild?
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 05-26-2017, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T77911S View Post
that might be a good thing.
if there was too much play in the bearings the oil could have been going thru them too fast. it seemed like the oil coming out of my new turbo was slow too. 7006.

was there any shaft play on the last rebuild?
No

At least so far the oil is not pumping through the compressor and turbine sides of the turbo.
The second rebuild was worse than the first.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It doesn't need a lot of oil to be lubricated properly. Congrats on hopefully solving this!

Less oil in there means more heat in the oil, so especially if you're not using synthetic oil, be sure to give the turbo some time to cool off before shutting down or you will coke up the oil in the cartridge. I always take it easy the last few miles coming home and then let it idle for a minute or so before shutting down.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff NJ View Post
It doesn't need a lot of oil to be lubricated properly. Congrats on hopefully solving this!

Less oil in there means more heat in the oil, so especially if you're not using synthetic oil, be sure to give the turbo some time to cool off before shutting down or you will coke up the oil in the cartridge. I always take it easy the last few miles coming home and then let it idle for a minute or so before shutting down.
Thanks for the tip mate, and yes I am using synthetic.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK930 View Post
Thanks for the tip mate, and yes I am using synthetic.
Since it has a far higher flash point than dino oil, it is MUCH less susceptible to coking, but still a wise habit to let it cool off before shut down for a long and healthy turbo life.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: