Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
EdReich

I'll be sure to put up pics! Wow, what a welcome.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdReich View Post
I'll be sure to put up pics! Wow, what a welcome.
WELCOME, this is everyday normal.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Welcome Ed. I was one of the guys that sent the ad of the car to Vinny. Good luck with it and we need to meet up at Speedwerk one day.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

, That's it I'm going back to therapy.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2017, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
Ed, Welcome, You have a great 930! Jim is one of our home town heroes and hopefully will continue to be a regular contributor to our 930 forum, which naturally is different that all the other forums.

You say you bought Jim's car but it didn't happen with out pictures. Better get'm posted ASAP!

Rahl
Old 06-04-2017, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin930t View Post
, That's it I'm going back to therapy.

I've heard that Jeff is quite the massage therapist - magic fingers and all that! Maybe he can be of service?!?!?!
Old 06-04-2017, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey there Jim,

Selling a car that you have had a long time can be rather bitter sweet.
On one hand it may be time for a change so that's exciting, but on the other hand, after having something for a long time, it kinda seems like a part of you will be missing when it's gone.

At least I will have no choice here rather shortly, in needing to sell mine, as it is insanely expensive to consider importing into Thailand when I retire there. Furthermore, I will be living out in the jungle, so not really 930 territory. Granted nice paved streets and all, but not the local impression I'm going for when living there (read real low key).

Anyway, hope you do indeed stay connected to the forum.

Mark
Old 06-04-2017, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

You guys are really good people, thanks.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Old car guy.....

Garage
Welcome EdReich, good to have you!
Jim, I hope you hang around, we all need your excellent input.
81 SC Euro WB, 930/51, 3.0l Bored & Stroked to 3.2l, Ported Polished Twin Plug heads, Ruf IC, K27 7006, Powerhaus headers, Zork, 009 inj, Alum inj blks, 044 pump, BLwur, Mocal Oil cooler, LM2, 930 4 sp LSD, 930 Brembo brakes, Retroair a/c, Euromeisters.....
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome EdReich. Lots of us turbo guys in your area.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Wow Jim, congrats / condolences. Insanely quick sale, speaks volumes to the merit of the car / seller.

DEFINITELY stick around here... my heap'd be dead 10000x over if not for your ahem input (alleyoop there for Mr. Knees!). I've greatly appreciated that over these past 10yrs here.

Welcome Ed, congrats on a most excellent purchase! Probably the best sorted and one of the nicest most appropriately mod'd examples you'll find ever. Seriously. You're gonna be smitten.

Great Northeast contingency of owner's we're fortunate to have up in these here parts! And, we're waaaaaaaaaay over due for a Shenanigans and Debauchery outing, we are! Search turboPALOOZA pics / stories (alleged) to get yerself a flavor of what yer in store for (also search sheep / goat pics - yes I'm quite serious!).

Quite the Band of Merry Idjuts we're ohso fortunate to have here... welcome again and enjoy!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-05-2017, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
EdReich...as others said...welcome to 930 craziness!! Don't be shy to ask questions no matter how small it seems.

Man...there's a lot of selling here. I'm going to follow the late Dave Cole's method (never sell until I die...God willing). I just love the 930 too much (not the way Rawknee (Ronnie) thinks!)...thankfully my wife is very understanding.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Ed,just wondering if you got your 930 yet?we want to know.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
EdReich

I got the 930 last week and it did not disappoint me in any way! Jim built a hell of a car. Being my first air cooled turbo, I was shocked by the power.
I promise to post pics very soon. Had a death in the family so i'll be offline for a few days. I will definitely have some questions.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Hi Ed, sorry to hear the sad family news.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the car I know it went to a good home. If there was ever a car with a soul I'd say these Porsche turbos are it!

anyway..

If you ever want to charge the battery or just maintain it's charge once a week if you're not driving it you can see a male grounded plug outlet I installed in the left front brake cooling air duct in the fiberglass DP front spoiler

It's wired to the 1.5 amp battery charger/maintainer that is well secured to the top of the battery with velcro on it's entire bottom surface.
The grounded male plug in the air duct is held in place with a stainless steel hose clamp and a home made steel bracket that is attached to the front spoiler by the nut that holds the left front fog light into the recessed fog light space in the front spoiler. It's mounted securely and I think it's a 17 or 19mm wrench size nut.

To charge the battery take the female end of regular outdoor extension cord and push it on the male plug in the left front air duct and the charger will start charging the battery.
Pull the front trunk carpet back so you can see the battery and charger and you'll see the little LED status lights on the charger lit up.
I wouldn't leave it charging all the time because the charger becomes warm. I just used it once a week for a few hours because I wasn't driving the car enough.
I bought the battery new last October or November so it should be good for a while.

Have a good one!
Jim
Old 06-15-2017, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Congrats (and condolences) Ed. I love the color and it is surely well maintained. Every time you search for a tech answer you will find responses with valuable nuances from the original owner.

I think my car sports the rear condenser from your car as I bought one from jfairman a few years ago.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

I did sell the rear AC condenser that was in the car when I bought it because I bought another original '87 930 one that I liked better from a friend that removed his to install a full bay rear intercooler.

The one thats in the car now is in excellent condition. The whole AC system is good and it's running R134 refrigerant.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
EdReich

Hey Jim,
I found that plug when I put it on the lift. Another great idea, thanks. Also, the exhaust butterfly that you installed does not operate. Before I take it apart, what do you recommend as a course of action to get it going?

I pulled the speedometer but don't have the guts to take it apart as I know I will screw it up. I was going to send it to Pelicanparts for repair. do you (or any of the gang) have a better, faster, less expensive place I can send it? It needs the odometer repaired and I would like it calibrated as long as they have it.

I also want to replace the seat covers in the front. Can you guys recommend the most efficient way to do this? I have an upholstery guy that I trust. Where shouldI buy the new seat covers? I need Linen Leather sport seat covers and the drivers lower bolster need to be refurbished.

I promise to send some fresh pics tomorrow.

Ed
Old 06-16-2017, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey there Ed,

I would send your speedo off to NORTH HOLLYWOOD SPEEDOMETER {818-761-5136} for repair, they are absolutely top notch, and have been in business for many decades.

It is probably where Pelican would be sending it anyway.

Mark
Old 06-16-2017, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Hi Ed, the exhaust butterfly is a few years old and it's from Summit Racing.
You may get it to work again by spraying some WD 40 on the butterfly shaft bushings. Then turn ignition on and with two people have someone push down on the rocker switch while you stick your finger in the exhaust butterfly outlet and push on the butterfly to get it started. It's operated by a stepper motor. With some spray lube I think it will start with a push.

NHS or North Hollywood Speedometer is the place for instrument repair. The VDO boost gauge says NHS on the off white bezels.
I replaced the plastic gear that rots out in the speedometer with a new gear from NHS around 9 or 10 years ago and it worked well until recently. I remember it's driven by a worm gear. I didn't feel like taking it apart again so I don't know why it stopped working around 4 or 5 months ago.

I put Rennline aluminum gauge rings over the original gauge rings so you should pull that off with your fingers before sending the Tach to them. I spray painted them satin black with good paint before installing them because they come shiny clear anodized aluminum when you get them.
It's glued on with a little black silicone glue so it should pry off with your fingers easily. Then glue it back on when you get the gauge back.
good luck with it.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: