Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
EdReich

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the tip. I lubed it up and it opens and closes but i guess the motor or fuse is bad. Do you remember where the fuse is for the unit? I will check the power later at the electric motor (car is hot. Coul;dnt resist taking it for a ride with exhaust open).
thanks,
ed
Old 06-17-2017, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

If the stepper motor is toast here's a new one. They aren't too expensive.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-670150-2/

I bought the extension cable for it too because it was needed to reach all the way from the dash to the back of the car.
Most of the time these get installed in front engine muscle cars so no extension cable is needed then.

When it's open exhaust backpressure is reduced and that increases horsepower and turbo response above 3500rpms.
If you were driving the car on the track with the valve open the motor is louder and that's good because then you can hear the motor revs better with a helmet on. Especially if the windows are down.
I only had the car on a track once out at Palm Beach International Raceway. Palm Beach International Raceway - Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR)
It was a free night for anyone with a 930 during Supercar weekend track night 8 years ago. The event creator's favorite car is a 930 so that's why admission was free for 930 owners. Everyone else had to pay 150 bucks.
I did around 10 laps and it was the most fun I've ever had by myself.

There is a plug connection on the end of the exhaust cut out extension cable about 8 inches to the right of the exhaust cut out on the right side of the muffler I think it's looped up over the right side bumper mount strut so it doesn't hang down. you'll need to unplug it before removing the muffler.
All of that stuff is easy to get at after removing the rear bumper. The nuts that hold the bumper on are under the two rubber strips on the bumper. The screws that hold those rubber strips on are under little black plastic caps that push into holes in the rubber strips. The steel screws like to corrode to the aluminum bumper after time so they might be fun.
Put them back in with anti seize or grease on the threads to try and keep that from happening more.

I had to get the extension cable for the Innovate AFR gauge for the same reason too. That cable is real long and the excess cable is looped around in a circle under the passenger seat.
Both of these cables have the little green silicone rubber water seals built into the plug connections which is nice.

I just lost a couple more paragraphs of stuff I wrote and I can't remember what I wrote now... I so hate the server software this website uses. It has pissed me off when this happens many times before.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Geez, I've been away too long!

Jim,
Sad to see you sell your pride and joy, but congrats on the quick sale. Always admired your work and attention to detail. Hope you stick around for a long, long time.

Ed,
Congrats! You really got a well-sorted 930.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 06-18-2017, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdReich View Post
Hey Jim,
Thanks for the tip. I lubed it up and it opens and closes but i guess the motor or fuse is bad. Do you remember where the fuse is for the unit? I will check the power later at the electric motor (car is hot. Coul;dnt resist taking it for a ride with exhaust open).
thanks,
ed
I don't remember where I took power from that goes to the exhaust valve switch. Probably from the fuse panel in the trunk.

The turbo is a ball bearing Garret GSX61 with a billet compressor wheel made by Turbos Direct in Arizona. It has very little use on it.

GSX 61.

The tires were all replaced with Michelin Pilot $ports since this pic was taken.

GSX61 billet compressor wheel.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
EdReich

Jim,
Turbo looks really good but it works even better! Look at the boost gauge when I opened the exhaust and took her for a spin. Damn if that's not the second best feeling ever!

Speedo is at NHS and should be back by Friday. Thanks for the recommendation. I am afraid after i gets back that all the other gauges will look old.

Do you know the best source for leather replacement seat covers? Pelican Parts has them for the sport seats at $1768. Is that the best route?

Thanks,
Eddie

Old 06-20-2017, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
Damn James!!!! Somebody is finally driving her like she was meant to be driven. ( at least in the past 2 or 3 years)
88 930 3.4 ,Twin plugged billet Xtreme cylinder heads and denso COPs, Dougherty custom GT 2 evo cams,pauter rods,Garrett Gt40,ms3x Efi ,1100cc injectors,extrude honed 3.2 intake,TK billet fullbay I/C,MODE headers,KEP stage 2,E-85 706 rwhp
Old 06-20-2017, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Ask around and google new leather seat covers. I don't know where to look other than Pelican and internet searches. They cost so much I'd look into other seats. Those are original though. The driver seat was like that when I got the car.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Classic9 has all the interior you could ever need, at much better prices. Full service, top notch establishment, many over on Rennlist recommend them and their services.

Still not cheap, but at least their prices don't make you gasp....

Mark
Old 06-20-2017, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Just be careful in picking a cover that may not match the grain of your other leather pieces. You can get into a very slippery slope of matching everything to your newly reconstructed seat. I bought a rear parcel self from AppBiz to replace the god-awful rear deck that the previous owner mounted a larger set of speakers. The grain/color is not close enough to the factory material. I'm not really faulting AppBiz. They provide a good product at a good price, but the buyer should be aware that all leathers are not the same.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 06-21-2017, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
EdReich

Thanks Dave.
I am waiting for a leather sample from classic9 and pelican for that exact reason. I'll keep you posted. Jim freshened up the entire interior so I am hoping its a good match. As it is, the seats are the only interior items that look weathered.
ed

Old 06-21-2017, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

That was due to years of Jim sharting himself every time he drove the car - dodging Florida blue hairs is stressful business!!!
Old 06-21-2017, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Welcome Ed.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 06-21-2017, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Ed,

Welcome to the forums.

Another option for having your seats repaired is to go to the Paterek Brothers in New Jersey. Two of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. If you needed a spare set of seats while those get done I have some black fabric seats that you could swap in to keep in place while the leather gets repaired.

The Patereks would do that car the justice it deserves. I can't comment on price or speed, as I've only seen the results of their work. Never been a customer.

http://paterekbrothersinc.com/

Rich
Old 06-21-2017, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Ed,
Are there any places where the leather is worn through? If not, there are some leather cleaners and leather rejuvenates out there that do a remarkable job. They won't repair the cracks. but will make them less noticeable and more supple.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
EdReich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Volt View Post
Welcome Ed.
Thanks!
Old 06-21-2017, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
EdReich

Speedometer is back already! Shipped out Monday and back by weds! looks like new!

Old 06-21-2017, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Hi Ed, the black floor mats are from Appbiz and the original carpeted floor mats are in good condition under them.
Maybe you've already removed the black ones. The interior looks nice either way.
I put the black ones in to protect the linen color ones that can get dirty quickly.
There is a lightweight Appbiz soundpad behind the rear seatback and up under the rear deck too.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
EdReich

Jim,
I kept the mats. They protect the linen carpets. I might buy the Porsche mats with the clips so they dont move around under the pedals.

Hey, what is the dial on the top left of the dash? its not a dimmer or wiper delay control. Do you remember?
Thanks,
ed
Old 06-22-2017, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Hi Ed, it's a subwoofer level control. It's part of the big stereo amp in the front trunk. It's a nice sounding powerful amp. I never had any problems with it but I didn't use it much. Most of the time i liked listening to the motor.

The 12 gauge subwoofer speaker wires are under the carpet behind the driver seat. I kept my 10" subwoofer for future use.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
EdReich

Thanks Jim!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: