Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1980 911sc Euro with 964 Turbo motor hard start

This is my first post on Pelican.
I have a 1980 euro sc with a 1991 c2 turbo motor.
It has Electromotive dual plug ignition and motor shows to be about 450 horsepower.
Recently I've found it to be difficult to start. It starts right up first time but RPM's remain low around 800. It stalls then acts like it doesn't want to start. Where before it went straight to about 1200 for a few seconds and slow backed off to the 900 area. Noted the RPM did bounce up and down for a few seconds before it settled down then it was okay. To me it acts like the WUR isn't working right. Am planning to swap out the 5 pin relay that appears to be in the back left side of engine compartment. At first I thought the DME relay was bad after reading the on line posts. Then after finally figuring out where it was. Looking under the driver seat ...it isn't even there. (understand 964 cars don't even have or need one) That's when I found the Electromotive XDI ignition to make it even more complicated. It has a slight miss at start up but after it gets running it appears fine and runs extremely well...
Both fuel pumps appear to okay. IE ridiculous power..
Could it be simply a partially plugged fuel filter??
WUR relay??

Anyone out there have an idea where to go?????
Old 06-27-2017, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Welcome to the Pelican community! Just giving you a bump as your thread was stuck in moderation. Hopefully some of our community members will have some insight for you. If you have any forum or parts questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Good luck!

Porsche 911 (1965-1989) Technical Articles - Pelican Parts
Old 06-28-2017, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Very first thing to do once it wont start is to remove the spark plugs. If they are wet several issues can be in play.

Number one, the Ignition you have is not powerful enough to fire a wet plug. This could be the reason why it starts first time, then whatever fuel enrichment is programmed, that could be too much and the plugs are getting wet. Once the plugs are wet, the ignition cannot produce enough power to fire the plug. You can check this quickly by removing one plug and cranking engine. Will tell if its ignition, wet plugs or fuel.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Check the easy/cheap things, first. The problem could very well be the fuel filter. You should be able to blow through it very easily. Check the O-rings along your turbo intake path. Make sure all of them are in place and are providing a good seal. It sounds like, possibly, one or more of your spark plugs may be fouling based upon what you said. Do a fuel injector flow test, too, since it appears of the spark plug fouling...
Old 06-28-2017, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the feedback. It started okay today. We actually swapped the wastegate spring out from a .8 to a 1.05 from Patrick motor sports and took it for a test run and it has incredible acceleration. Will remove some plugs and check it out close and I appreciate the information.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I think possibly the o ring seal from the intake to the intercooler is missing. Would that cause the issue with the idle?
Old 07-02-2017, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

YES that O-Ring is significant. If you aren't careful installing the I/C it's easy to slice the edge off the O-Ring and they don't seem to last if you are removing the I/C often. I always carry a spare.

You are wasting time trouble shooting with this obvious issue. Fix it. Then see if you have issues.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
964 still no start

The car started and ran yesterday once it stays running its okay and runs smooth.
This morning it tried to start one time then spent the rest of the day trying to start with no luck. ended up putting the battery charger on it twice with no luck. didn't seem to fire at all. I hear hear the fuel pumps running. don't have the test equipment to test for the spark or fuel pressure from pumps. it has electromotive xdi twin plug ignition. havn't touched it. I'm going to have it towed to shop Friday, but very frustrated why it run the night before then the next day nothing... maybe I giggled too many wires and knocked something loose.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I would pull the spark plugs to see if they might be fowled from trying to start it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2017, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Found #6 pin wire (orange wire) loose on fuse box. This is what controls the XDI ignition controller and powers it up. Who would of thought that little orange wire would power up the ignition system. After that have green light on box now. It started right up, but the plugs are completely fouled out. In the process of changing plugs in this dual plug application. This is a total pain. will try to get as many as possible then take it to my shop to have them get what I can't...
Old 07-16-2017, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: