Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
EFI in California

To the brain trust,
I just recently came across a post talking about how CA will not let you modify your engine due to emissions regulations. Looking further into it and it looks like an EFI conversion for our cars is illegal. Has anyone been able to get the waiver from the CARB or been able to get it past the smog stations? I will be moving to CA later this year and I was hoping to get Turbokraft to modify my engine. Other than registering the car in another state is there a way to get around this? Seems like Singer gets around this with a SMOG compliant EFI (not sure how/who they use).

James
Old 07-04-2017, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What year is your Porsche?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2017, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Unless your vehicle is 1975 or older, you have just about 0% chance of doing an EFI swap to your 930. Brother lives out in Fresno, and OMG... that state id FUBAR'ed when it comes to older vehciles and the laws governing them!
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 07-05-2017, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
"IF" you are lucky enough to find a guy who knows a guy usually $500.00 will get you a cert.
It's a very unreliable way to go. Those guys don't get away with it forever.
It's getting to the point they are going after the tuners now. I can get a tune on my Mustang because I have been friends with the guy for 20 years. Everyone else is told no.
Singer does not remove the emissions on the California cars if you read their website. The 4.0 engine is not available to CA owners either.

The only legal EFI swaps are on vehicles that are at least 5 or 8 years old (can't remember), and the engine is from a vehicle at lease 2 years newer and the complete engine with all of it's emissions components are swapped into the car. So you could install a 993 Turbo into the car and be legal.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Slip Nancy Pelosi a fifty and she'll take care of it..
Old 07-05-2017, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I'd slip anyone a fiddy to get EFI in my car. I have an '89 so the age law is not a direction I can go. Thanks for all the responses hopefully I can get something going to make it happen. Maybe I'll register it in NJ with my parents. That would be an a$$ pain though since they also have a smog inspection every 2 years. I guess that means a road trip!

I really dont want to swap a newer engine in the car. I wanted to make a tribute GT2 that I think Porsche would have done in 89.

James
Old 07-06-2017, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by somoney311 View Post
I'd slip anyone a fiddy to get EFI in my car. I have an '89 so the age law is not a direction I can go. Thanks for all the responses hopefully I can get something going to make it happen. Maybe I'll register it in NJ with my parents. That would be an a$$ pain though since they also have a smog inspection every 2 years. I guess that means a road trip!

I really dont want to swap a newer engine in the car. I wanted to make a tribute GT2 that I think Porsche would have done in 89.

James
If you go through NJ, get historic plates. No emissions (or any inspection) required.

Be sure to read the rules for historic plates first though as there are some restrictions. It is supposed to be stock and they require pictures, but no personal inspection. you aren't supposed to use it as a DD though, and having it in Cali could cause a problem for insurance maybe?? not sure...

good luck!
Old 07-06-2017, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
They are onto the out of state registration as well. There are large fines with caught. There were a lot of Montana LLC owned cars driving around up until a couple years ago.

There are a handful of rural counties that are emissions testing exempt. I have thought of trying to get an address in one of those counties.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I wonder if just owning land there would be good enough. Julian is one of the zipcodes in San Diego that does not require bi-yearly checks, just when you first register the car.

I am not looking to skirt the system and have a vehicle that polutes the air. I bet an EFI in our cars is much cleaner but CA doesnt want to do anything about that I guess. Probably becuase they are easily retunable.

james
Old 07-07-2017, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ I've said that for years. The emissions test should just be based on tailpipe tests. You should be able to up-grade an older car without a bunch of pointless regulations created by people that don't know squat.
But if they reduce the regulations, then they reduce the number of Union employees needed at the BAR and EPA to monitor everything and the Unions will never let that happen. It's always about Mafia (I mean "Union") money.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
… yeah well let's at least thank the Unions for the 8-hour / 5-day work week, labor day, lunch breaks, payed leave and the list goes on … so get off the crap sling about Unions as they are really just the organized counter to special interest organized tyranny …. dave

"...Keep hanging in there - Cuz if there's a rock bottom, it just may be closer than you think! "
Old 07-10-2017, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Isn't California an Initiative and Referendum state? Get involved!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Man you have the last year of the true 911 and it's a turbo and you want to build it into a GT2 tribute car? Let the strict emission standards of CA do you a solid and see it as a sign to leave that poor car alone. Buy some jacked up 930 mish mash and resurrect it. Or even better start with a '75 so that you are exempt and turbo body it and have at it.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Why do q-tippers insist on ragging on what other people do to their own property?
Old 07-11-2017, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Norm, I do plan on getting involved. If the car doesn't pass smog when I get there then she gets parked and I will be working on getting things done to her and to see what changes can be made.

Nathan,
Yes she is the last of the 930's but I don't want a stock 930. I respect plenty of people that do that but I am not that kind of guy. As to the value of the car...it only has value if you sell it and I will not do that.

James
Old 07-11-2017, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Quote:
Norm, I do plan on getting involved. If the car doesn't pass smog when I get there then she gets parked and I will be working on getting things done to her and to see what changes can be made.

Nathan,
Yes she is the last of the 930's but I don't want a stock 930. I respect plenty of people that do that but I am not that kind of guy. As to the value of the car...it only has value if you sell it and I will not do that.

James
My first car was a '69 Karmann Ghia with a 2176cc motor and all kinds of cool modifications. Over a period of 6 or so years my dad I spent approx $35k on the car and when I went to college I got hit by a young girl not looking where she was turning. Instead of just fixing the car I started a never ending project of further customization that ultimately led to me literally throwing the body away and trading the engine for a nice motorcycle. My take away was I should have just simply fixed the car and bought a second car to modify.
Is the fact that it's an '89 930 relevant to your project? Even though you said you wouldn't sell it, would you consider selling it it to buy a cheaper starting point even if it's just an '88 930 for example. Just curious. My Ghia story is one of my life's only regrets and it haunts me to this day.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
My dad had several porsches when I was little. This particular one has sentimental value due to that. The fact that it is an 89 has no bearing on anything. I literally got extremely lucky 7 years ago when I got the car. I was not aware that 89 was the last year. I just saw a 911 turbo like my dads and got it on the cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2017, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Quote:
My dad had several porsches when I was little. This particular one has sentimental value due to that. The fact that it is an 89 has no bearing on anything. I literally got extremely lucky 7 years ago when I got the car. I was not aware that 89 was the last year. I just saw a 911 turbo like my dads and got it on the cheap.

Ok ok I tried, project sounds super cool. Last attempt, keep this one and also buy another!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like a great idea! Just need to convince the wife.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ Tell her, It's my money bioch!
See how that works and report back.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: