Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Where to dump/how to process dirty turbocharger oil

A while back I came across an extensive thread on this forum (I think) on this subject but I'll be damned if I can find it. The issue discussed also included the pros and cons of an inline oil filter. I'd like to revisit it. Anyone know where I can find it?
Thanks in advance.
Johan
Old 07-05-2017, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Pretty sure JFairman was commenting in that thread (or at least A thread about this). I PM'd him about it and if I remember correctly, the concern was that with conventional oil, bits of coke could get into the engine and clog up the oil spray bar holes by the cams. The problem with an inline oil filter could be that the same coke bits could clog up an inline filter if it didn't have the correct flow capacity and would back up the turbo drain tank and blow out the turbo seals.

My solution (and others too) was synthetic oil, since it has a much higher flash point and is extremely unlikely to coke up in a turbo, even if you don't cool it down as Porsche recommends.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Thanks Jeff. Will do that. This coking thing is a real cunundrum. 250k miles with no issues. Then I rebuilt the motor following a crash and installed it into my RST build and ended up with a plugged orfice on the cam oil bar necessitating a cam disassembly, etc. I've used VR-1 (non syn) for donkeys years and dutifully have changed the oil/filter every 5,000 km. Never any crud in the oil filter. Always cool down prior to shut-off. Scared to move to synthetic-heard and read about subsequent oil leaks so looking to alternatives.
Cheers,
Johan
Old 07-06-2017, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Dump it into the breather cover. That way it gets filtered by the main oil filter on return to the tank.
A piece of 3/8 power steering return hose, a 3/8 NPT to hose fitting at the breather, a cone nipple and M16x1.5 swivel nut at the pump and a couple oetiker clamps.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
I switched to Motul Synthetic and have put a little over 500 miles with it in the last month. No new leaks yet.
I did just replace both rubber oil tank hoses due to seeping leaks before the switch. I'm sure they would have got worse with the synthetic.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Here is the link I think you are referring to:
Turbo return line filter and cooler?

And here is what I did to mine....

[IMG]Turbo scavenge pump oil return mod. Instead of going back to the oil tank unfiltered, I am draining it to the breather cover on the top of the engine. -8 AN fittings and line. by Brad, on Flickr[/IMG]
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 07-06-2017, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
[QUOTE=boosted79;9651774]Dump it into the breather cover. That way it gets filtered by the main oil filter on return to the tank.

Boosted,
Love to see clean well detailed motors.
Ok, I see how it is plumbed. Doesn't this recirculate in the motor unfiltered before it is picket up by the scavenger pump and sent to the filter?

Johan

Last edited by Uwon; 07-07-2017 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: Addition
Old 07-07-2017, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post

And here is what I did to mine....

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/Ucj7d5]
Nice motor! I see the oil feed to the turbo (?) coming off at the bottom of the left hight stack which also has the low oil pressure sensor (idiot light) on top. Correct?
So what is the right sensor coming off the breather cover?
Johan
Old 07-07-2017, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
Ok, I see how it is plumbed. Doesn't this recirculate in the motor unfiltered before it is picket up by the scavenger pump and sent to the filter?

Johan
Nope; the oil is almost immediately picked up by the scavenge side of the main oil pump, and sent through the main oil filter before it re-enters the tank (and then the oil coolers and engine after that) . . . no recirculation in the engine is physically possible (pressure side of the pump does not draw from the case sump).

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 07-07-2017 at 06:02 AM..
Old 07-07-2017, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Ditto, and another advantage is the turbo oil goes thru the external oil t'stat and thus gets cooled instead of getting dumped into the tank hot like the stock setup, FWIW. On Brad's motor I assume that is a temp sensor on the breather cover? Looks like he's got another sender just to the right of the idiot light sw on the riser.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

The sensors were used when the CIS system was still on the engine. I have the brass stack (which is a Tee) for a mechanical oil pressure gauge. I just didnt get adventitious enough to take them out, and replace them with plugs.
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 07-07-2017, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Certainly learned a few things today. Thank you all for sharing. Is there a preferable area on the breather cover to tap into or specifically avoid?
Johan

Last edited by Uwon; 07-08-2017 at 02:54 AM..
Old 07-07-2017, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Put the hole as close to the flywheel end of the cover as you can. That way the oil goes down the case wall into the sump and doesn't splash on to the crank which may cost you a fraction of a hp at 6k rpm. There is a divider in the case in about the middle of the cover that helps divert the oil towards the case wall away from the crank.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Thanks boosted. Glad I asked. I see the divider on a pic of my case half.
Cheers,
Johan
Old 07-09-2017, 03:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

Lots of "alternative facts" in this thread.

There is a strainer on the turbo outlet in the stock system. It screws into the bottom of the oil catch tank. It is there specifically to catch any carbon chips from the turbo. It is actually a maintenance item. You are supposed to clean it once in awhile. Most aftermarket catch tanks delete this filter, which is a pity.

There is nothing that I know of in synthetic oil that creates leaks. Porsche currently recommends a 20W-50 synthetic oil for its classic engines. Early on, synthetic oil was only available as 20W-40. If your engine needed straight 30W or higher to stay leak free, you might see more leaks from using a lower viscosity oil, but there is nothing in the oil itself that causes leaks, just the lower viscosity.

Dumping oil down the breather is the worst place to return hot turbo oil. From the picture, you can see that it will wind up on the rotating parts for the rear cylinder. Not good. The best place to return turbo drain oil is to the oil tank. That is what the stock setup does.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The oil from the turbo is mixed into the froth of oil exiting the main and rod bearings and will have no effect on anything other than maybe a fractional hp loss that you'd never see on a dyno. The best drain setup would be gravity to the sump, that's what the factory should have done, and eliminated the whole scavenge pump.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: