Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
Ouch. New clutch or new wife? Guess the clutch is cheaper?
Alan
From experience....the clutch is hundreds of thousands $$$ cheaper.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Recently the starter occasionally wonít engine. I removed it inspected the flywheel which still look good. Engagement wear appears at about half gear depth. The original start has noticeable wear on the gear head. But it works better than the newer hi-torque starter which now doesnít engage at all. I got that hi-torque starter around 5 years ago. Time for replacement or should I grind down the starter mounts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Can you post a pic of the starter gear? It must have some serious damage to not engage at all. But that is 2 in 5 yrs?
I would not advise grinding the mounts down. You would be feeding what must be a seriously damaged gear on to your flywheel gear. Not a good plan really. Better plan may be to see if you can locate a new starter gear - or replace starter. I have 2 high mileage/use P cars and have not encountered this issue. Sometimes the bendix gear gets stuck and won't throw out properly, or far enough. Do they test out OK?
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 12-07-2017, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info. They test ok. Extend to their mechanical limits.
I just checkedI replaced the ring gear and starter in 2009.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

New ring gear and starter. Should last more than 10 yrs. I am stumped - but something not right here. Unless a really high load of short stops/starts etc. Hopefully some 911 wrench will chime in.
Otherwise why don't you post the query on the 911 Tech forum. Lots of wrenches follow that forum. Bound to get a more sensible explanation there than from me.
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 12-07-2017, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Here is the starter.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Normally if they have the problem of not engaging, they get chewed down. This is deformed.
Have you posted the pic on the 911 Tech forum? It is almost like the gear meshing is wrong.
Regards
Alan
Old 12-11-2017, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks. I did some searches which show an updated pinion gear but it doesnít fit on the shaft.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage

Old 12-11-2017, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

And the last pic is...?
I have no idea, so am only guessing. I wonder if the gear on the starter pinion and the ring gear are different meshes. Not sure if that is possible, or everything is interchangeable between ring gears and starters. Not really possible now - but if no other answers fall out, at some point you may need to check the pinion gear meshes correctly with the ring gear.
Alan
Old 12-11-2017, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Itís a photo of the updated pinion gear but itís too long and I canít fit the retaining clip at the top.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Easy - you should be able to get a mm machined off that lip on the end. The old one doesn't have that lip. Or a cutting wheel on an angle grinder should get you close - as long as you cut nice and straight and gently grind off an imperfections.
Alan
Old 12-11-2017, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
I tried that to no avail. After taking a closer look I realize the issues are damaged ring gear and
worn starter gear.
Why the high torque stater suddenly stopped working I donít know. Rebuilt Bosch starters are cheaper nowadays.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
A friend gave me a seized starter. Came off a garage queen 911 with 7000km. I took it apart and swapped the pinion gear. Reassembled mind and voila! She started every time. Now I want to rebuild the seized starter. Looking for just the pinion gear. Solenoid is easy enough to find but not the pinion gear.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

But you have replaced this stuff before? The Q is why they are wearing out. You say ring gear is worn. That is a bigger job and maybe if you can get pinion gears, that is the short term fix til you have a(nother) reason to pull the engine .
Regards
Alan
Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Yup. I know. At least now I can pay the tax man. I know a clutch is in my near future. And still the 930 speaks in tongues while the 996tt is monolingual.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
The new starter Bendix has been doing it job well. I trusted the 930 to take a 3 hour highway trip. Canít see myself ever parting with this car. I know Iím preaching to the choir but, damn!! She can pull from 60-220 in 4 faster than most cars. At 180 sheís pulling vacuum at cruise. Still feels like she wants more power. The 996tt cant compare in terms of driver experience.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: